franjane's Content

There have been 16 items by franjane (Search limited from 10-December 18)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#30161 Media Captions

Posted by franjane on 26 September 2009 - 08:19 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

I just realized that the pictures in the narrative reports do not include the captions, or at least the option to include the captions. I have several pictures with more than one person and I thought it was helpful to make the caption appropriate to the individual to whom the media is linked. So for example, a picture of two nuns, Could be captioned Sister M. John on right. The caption for Sister M. Cecelia, her real sister, would be labeled Sister M. Cecelia on left.

After I had done this, I realized that the caption would not be shown. Since the two nuns in their habits look identical, I suspect it really makes know difference who is who. However, there are many cases that the only pictures you have are two person or more person pictures and it would be nice to identify which is Sister ME. John because that is the only picture of her you have. I know that with today's technology one could probably edit them apart, but why have to.

Also it would be nice to say in the caption there age or where the picture was taken.

One could put the caption in a note, however if you did not want to use the picture, then the picture makes no sense. Does anyone agree with this wish?

#29261 Report Option

Posted by franjane on 23 August 2009 - 05:48 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

Some time ago, there were posts on the Wish List that suggested changes be made to Narrative Reports and others, to list subsequent marriages of ancestors. I can no longer find them. It appears that there is a time or number limitation to the Wish List. It is VERY important, I believe, that the capability to show step parents, half siblings and so forth is added to the Reporting Function. FTM has the capability, RootsMagic does not. Is it planned for future releases? If so, any estimated dates? RM4 is a great program except for this serious limitation.
Thank you.
Art Burkett

EDIT: 21 Aug 09
I may be incorrect about FTM having the above mentioned capability on Ancestor Reports. If so, please accept my apologies. I do believe however that the ability to report subsequent wives and children is a very necessary and desirable feature.

I have been requesting the same thing for sometime. I believe they are working on the type of report we both want. RootsMagic has really never had a report that you are discussing. The last update did add the spouses of children and facts about him or her to the descendent reports. However, a report that includes all wives, children, of ancestors or descendents is still not here. I also want step parents included as step parents. Currently, if they are listed they appear in the report as birth parents. In time I think it will be worked out. I think what we want is quite complex.
Fran

#29257 Notes & Search

Posted by franjane on 23 August 2009 - 05:24 PM in Discussion

I'm encountering problems in the notes. For example, if I put some words in bold letters or underline and then want to paste the same note for another individual, when I paste it, the bold and underlining disappear.

Another problem is that, since a lot of the names I input are in Spanish and have accents, e.g. Álvarez, when I try to search the name in the index, the program will take me to L or to another letter.

The main problem, however, is the first one I mentioned since it is time-consuming to edit the notes again.
Many thanks,
Mara

I agree that it is a problem, but it is the way it is now. Why don't you make a request on the wish group, as many of us have done, to have this changed. Bruce and his team are responsive and hopefully your wish will come in the near future.

Fran

#29094 Changing an Email address

Posted by franjane on 16 August 2009 - 08:34 AM in Discussion

I have been trying to figure out for about 20 minutes how to change my email address for rootsmagic communication with RootsMagic. Would someone please tell me specifically how to do so.

Thanks

Fran

#28532 Family Search

Posted by franjane on 29 July 2009 - 09:31 AM in Discussion

Is the Family Search Feature on RootsMagic 4 ready for use. If so, how do I gain access? I note that there is a tutorial available. Should I download it and view it. The feature sounds wonderful.

Fran

#27612 Relation Field

Posted by franjane on 19 June 2009 - 09:14 AM in Discussion

QUOTE(bienia @ Jun 17 2009, 08:52 AM) View Post

I am hoping that Bruce will eventually separate biological and adopted children in the reports and allow us to control/modify the Child List introduction sentence, so we don't have to modify this post-generation every time.

Please add step children to the list. Often, particularly when children are older, they are never adopted my the new spouse. However, the step parent can be more important in the lives of the child and the grandchildren that the natural parents.

#27534 Step parents and step children

Posted by franjane on 15 June 2009 - 01:09 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

QUOTE(MVS @ Jun 8 2009, 07:50 AM) View Post

I agree entirely with your sentiments; many of us want to create records of family history and the linking of all the pertinent information concerning multiple marriages, step siblings, mistresses and (and I never thought I would say it) same-sex marriages into composite reports/charts etc etc would be an outstanding benefit.

It would be interesting to know what the split of RM users who are "genealogists" compared to "family history researchers" is?

But it does seem to me that all these facilities to record various type of events, media items and so forth are pitched more to "family history" than strict "genealogy" - so why not push forward and give us reports and facilities on-line that will pull it all together.

I think there are other threads on how the displays of the main Pedigree and Family tabs could be improved to, optionally, bring this information together.

Thanks to those who are supporting my quest. I know that on the family page the relationship is shown as step, adoptive etc. However in Ancestor narrative reports the steps are ignored and on the decent reports the information about the children is repeated. I would simply like the step parent listed and perhaps a statement such as x was step mother for y and z. This could appear after the second etc marriage was listed. In a second marriage that occurs after the children are grown, the step relationship could be totally skipped. My brother in laws grandfather married a second wife age 19 when his daughter was 18. The daughter never told told her own children (my brother in law and his sister). They found out about it after their mother's death. Obviously I would not want to list the second wife as a step mother two my brother-in-laws mother. As far as I know they had little relationship. On the other hand, as i have explained previously, my mother and father's step mothers were a part of their lives. I guess what I want are the options and to be able to include second and third wives and partners as well as step children and adoptive children as part of all narratives.

Thank you for considering my request.
Fran

#27373 Step parents and step children

Posted by franjane on 06 June 2009 - 08:34 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

I know that stepchildren and stepparents are not part of the genealogy of a family, but they are, in many cases a very important part of the lives and memory of a family. Both of my parents had stepmothers. They were both young when their Mothers died and their stepmothers were an important part of their lives and in one case the lives of their children. It is possible to include them in the database, but they do not show up in the reports unless they are listed as the primary parent. Then the report makes them the parent with no notation that they are a stepparent. I would like the option to include second (and so forth) marriages to be regularly included in the reports. I would like to have half brothers and sisters to be included in the reports. I would like to have their relationship to the stepparent included. This could be as a stepparent or as an adopted parent. My nephew married divorced women with two children. There is little relationship between his stepchildren and their father. The way I have the report, my nephew appears to be the natural parent. This does not seem quite right. I know that getting this done might be complex, but I would really appreciate this being done. It could be an option.

Blood relationships are important, but there step relations can be even stronger. Think about children who die before they have any memory of their natural parents. Often these individuals are the only relationships these children know. In later life, it may be stepchildren that take responsibility for the care of the stepparent. These relationships need to be recorded in the narrative stories. Please provide the option for them to be included.

Many of your users are not genealogists; they are people who just want to pass on the family history. The facts are important, but it is the family stories is what I want to be able to print out for the children and grandchildren. My sisters and I believe that we a missing much information because we failed to record or write down the relationships and the stories. Now we are tiring to reconstruct the information. I want these stories to be included in the printed reports, which seem easier for family to read than the shareable CDs.

Please consider working on ways to include easily stepchildren, parents and even grandparents in the narratives.

#25621 Multiple wives and step children

Posted by franjane on 11 April 2009 - 07:00 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

While I fully realize that step parents and half brothers and sisters are not direct ancestors or direct descendants from a genealogical standpoint, in many family they are as important or perhaps more important in the lives of the descendents. I had two step grandmothers, one of which was very much a part of my life. She was the only grandparent my sisters and I ever knew. Unfortunately, she died before the next generation was born. It is important to us that her memory be kept along with their direct ancestors. I know this is true of many families. Families are more than blood relationships.

Thus I would like to have the option of including all wives and their children whether there is a blood relationship or not, in narrative reports.

A second issue is the relationship between parents and children. If the father is the birth father of seven children and the mother is the step mother of 5 and the birth mother of two, he is listed as the step parent of the first five when the spouse is the second wife. This is on screen in the family list. Could this be corrected so that when he is highlighted he is the birth parent of all children no matter what wife is listed.

Thank you for considering my request.

#25573 RM4 Shareable CD

Posted by franjane on 10 April 2009 - 04:22 AM in Issues

When I make a sharable CD and run it, I am having problems with the media function. When I click on media for an individual or media gallery I get the media box with no thumbnails and one file listed on the right. I then get the following message.

Access violates at address 00428EC7 in module RMRe.

I have checked the CD and the media files are there in a folder called pictures. If I open the folder I get thumbnails of all the media.

After I have tried to access the media I then am unable to use the edit function for an individual. I get the following

RootsMagic has encountered an unexpected error: A component named EditIndividualForm already exists.

Has anyone else tried to make a sharable CD and had problems?

#25179 Ancetor Reports

Posted by franjane on 02 April 2009 - 07:42 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

QUOTE(colin pattrick @ Apr 2 2009, 08:46 AM) View Post

Ancestor reports

The Ahnentafel Report in FTM16 reads:-

1. PersonA, born dd mmm yyyy in Location1,1,2,3; died dd mmm yyyy in Location. She was the daughter of 2. FatherA and 3. MotherA. She married (1) PersonB dd mmm yyyy in Location 4,5,6. He was born dd mmm yyyy in Location, and died dd mmm yyyy in Location. He was the son of Father B and MotherB. She married (2) PersonB dd mmm yyyy in Location. He was born dd mmm yyyy in Location, and died yyyy. He was the son of FatherB and MotherB.

Optionally you could add facts.
Optionally you could add notes (notes are Person Notes, there is no provision for individual fact notes like RM4)

====================================================================
Whereas in RM4 The basic Report reads:-
1. PersonA was born on Sun dd mmm yyy at Place details in place.
Fact Listing compulsory.

Optionally you can add the individual Fact Notes, this is then followed up by Person Notes

====================================================================

My wish is :-
a) that could RM4 Ancestor reports mirror the FTM16 report.
cool.gif Once improved then could ‘Fact Listing’ be made optional, in RM4.
Regards Colin Pattrick.
P.S. A very happy convert to RM4, who would never go back to FTM, which I’ve used for 20 years.

I strongly!!!! support this request. Overall, the only thing that I regret in my change from FTM 16 is the loss of the Ahnentafel Report.

Since I really do not exactly understand what all Colin requested, I want to request that the children of Ancestors be included as an option with the same details. I also would like the option to include step parents.

I fully recognize that my requests are not quite up to genealogy standards where blood is all important. However, in my family step parents, aunts and uncles have played a major role in the lives of my ancestors and their descendants. The only grandparent I ever knew was my mother's stepmother. My father was raised by his much older sister and her husband. Through the years, I have met many others who speak lovingly of their stepmothers and aunts and uncles. Genealogy is for sharing stories and family history. This report allows for all relationships to be printed.

#23058 Place List

Posted by franjane on 15 October 2008 - 10:15 PM in RootsMagic 3

QUOTE(AusTx @ Oct 15 2008, 08:19 PM) View Post

We each need to do what works best for each of us individually but I thought I would jump in on this one... I put place first then the - to indicate the school... or a hosptial for birth... or a cemetery for a burial..e.g. Joliet, Will Co., Illinois - Silver Cross Hospital then everything still groups together on the place list and the quick fill will still work for all location at a specific place

Thx to kbens0n for the recomendation for cleaning up dates on the place list... with 25K+ individuals in my database I have managed to create a few of those as well! blink.gif

Thank you! The more I think about your suggestion, that would work for Graduations too. Often families tend to have the same high schools and cemeteries so the number of permutations would probably be limited. I think I will wait until RM for before I do any more major changes. Hopefully there will some easy ways to do mass changes.

Fran

#23040 Getting Pictures in Correct File

Posted by franjane on 14 October 2008 - 04:02 PM in RootsMagic 3

I recently started with RM and transferred all of my pictures and data from FTM using the FTM file. Anyway I now want to add a copy of a document which contains the record of a marriage. I have the record in a jpeg image file on my computer in my picture file. What I think I need to do is move it from my folder to the rootmagic picture folder. I know this is a very stupid question but I have absolutely no idea how to do it. I am using Vista. As I recall I used to be able to move stuff from place to place on my computer, but now I have no idea how to do this. [I end up with stuff in absolutely crazy places and I have no idea how to get my computer organized. But that is besides the point]

What I need to know is how I can get the copy of the Marriage Record Document and other documents as I find them into the right folder for use in Root Magic scrapbook. I want to have all the documents in the correct place so that everything will be able to be placed on a RM CD.

Please be very specific in telling me how to do this, if it is possible, because I am very very stupid.

Thank you in advance.

Fran

#23033 Place List

Posted by franjane on 14 October 2008 - 02:34 PM in RootsMagic 3

QUOTE(Nettie @ Oct 14 2008, 12:38 PM) View Post

Cemeteries could be another fact type. I use the Place, with - in front of the cemetery name, this was a suggestion on the FO mail list many years ago.

Thanks for this and other ideas. I am still unhappy with the way RM does the narrative reports. I liked FTM which just simply lists the facts. and then puts notes in a narrative form as written. Makes for a less dense narrative. I love the narrative because it adds to the full picture of the individual and makes the facts from Census come to life.

Fran

#23027 Place List

Posted by franjane on 14 October 2008 - 09:16 AM in RootsMagic 3

Thank you both. Your suggestions were great. I wish there was an option for a description for all facts, then one could decide to use or not use. I still have not decided what to do about cemeteries. Weddings, I added a note and for graduation I made a new one with a description for high school and for college I added a fact called degree. Is my family the only one that is big on Graduation and degrees?

#23021 Place List

Posted by franjane on 13 October 2008 - 09:32 PM in RootsMagic 3

I recently moved from FTM to RM. Of course, there has been a lot of cleaning up. Some is due to changing the program, but I suspect many are errors that I made when I entered the data. I just completed cleaning up the Place list. It is amazing how many different ways I typed in O'Neill, Holt County, Nebraska.

Anyway I have several issues. The format for graduation facts and marriage facts only have a place entry. I want to include the school, university etc when I include graduation, but the only place to enter it is the place. The same is true for marriage fact. There is no place for the church or other location for the marrage. I suppose I could put them in a note, but I would prefer that generally they be listed with the fact.

The second issue is that I have two dates listed as places. Obviously I entered the wrong information in the place space. Is there an easy way to find the person where the error was made?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Fran