mapleleaf's Content

There have been 11 items by mapleleaf (Search limited from 20-September 18)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#95096 First RM8 Blog Entry

Posted by mapleleaf on 03 September 2019 - 12:33 AM in Discussion

Wow, that preview screen shows everything has changed. That will take some getting used to and training the eyes to look in totally different places! 

http://blog.rootsmag.../09/RM8-Win.png

I hope that if the icons do not have the option to add text, that at least when hovering over the icon, there will be a pop-up saying what the icon means. 

What does this mean in the blog?: "And of course, there is “one more thing” that should make our fans of “fruit” happy:" There is a picture below that statement, but I cannot figure out what "fruit" is displayed on the picture. It seems to be an exact same picture of the first picture, but blurrier. 

Disappointed to see that in the preview of Anna Jakobsdotter, I can't see her marriage date unless I look way down the screen to find her husband. If there are lots of siblings, I would need to drag the side bar to see the date of marriage. 

I hope there will continue to be that side bar which is in RM7 (left side) where you can see Index, Family, Bookmarks, History, Groups. The "Family" button is my favorite. 

I'm sharing a database with another family member. We've already purchased RootsMagic 7 (again) in order to get RootsMagic 8 for the low upgrade price of $19.95. If one of us doesn't care for the new look in version 8, can we still share the database - with one of using RM7 and other RM8? 

#94412 RootsMagic and Ancestry sync doesn't sync some updates

Posted by mapleleaf on 08 July 2019 - 01:52 PM in Issues

Hi Jerry,

Thanks very kindly for the directions!

@Renee, could you add Jerry's helpful directions to the tutorial? http://rootsmagic.co...ncestry_FAQ.pdf

I think it should appear in section C, #3, page 9 under "How do I update just the sources and/or media." 

There is a note at the end of that section that says, "The process works the same to update media and to update the Ancestry Tree with information that was added to RootsMagic." Except it does not work the same that I can tell. There are no differences highlighted in pink. Also, you don't choose “Update existing event in RootsMagic" - you choose "Add as a new event on Ancestry" (for new events). An Update Fact window does not open! 

In RM, I added two new events to a person and updated only one new event at Ancestry. I tried to search for that person since he no longer appeared when "only show changed people" was checked, and the list of names froze numerous times. Finally got it to find the person, but the remaining new event now showed two options when clicking the box: "Add as a new event on Ancestry" and "Update existing event on Ancestry." This new event added to RM was not yet at Ancestry, but I was given an option to update it at Ancestry. 

I agree that more automation and fewer clicks would be easier. And what you said is right on: "TreeShare really needs to recognize that there are unprocessed changes before it removes somebody from the "only people who have changed" list."

Hoping version 8 will have all the kinks worked out to make it a much better user experience! 

#94366 RootsMagic and Ancestry sync doesn't sync some updates

Posted by mapleleaf on 06 July 2019 - 07:25 AM in Issues

Jerry, thanks for confirming it's a manual sync.

How do I approve data and each person manually? I'm not finding where to do that in RM 7. 

#94362 RootsMagic and Ancestry sync doesn't sync some updates

Posted by mapleleaf on 06 July 2019 - 03:38 AM in Issues

I'm looking for info about how to sync my RootsMagic database to the tree I uploaded to Ancestry using RM TreeShare.

I came across this thread and it looks like an update to the guide is still on the to-do list because the date of the last update of the guide is June 27, 2017: "Using TreeShare for Ancestry: Learn how to use TreeShare and WebHints for Ancestry" http://rootsmagic.com/guides/

Is the info in this guide up-to-date? http://files.rootsma...ncestry_FAQ.pdf

When I search for the word sync in that guide, I find nothing. 

How do I sync from RootsMagic to Ancestry? Is it automatic? Or does it not sync at all? 

#94131 RM7 Slowing down

Posted by mapleleaf on 07 June 2019 - 09:09 AM in Discussion

Did you try restarting your computer yet? Do you have Windows 10? 

#93494 Old Discs

Posted by mapleleaf on 06 April 2019 - 03:08 AM in Discussion

Hi Margaret, 

I've gotten rid of all my old disks. You can continue getting upgrades without having the disks. 

#93492 Unable to edit anything

Posted by mapleleaf on 06 April 2019 - 02:42 AM in Discussion

Under File > Database Tools, did you run all the 4 items listed? 

#93489 Unable to edit anything

Posted by mapleleaf on 06 April 2019 - 01:10 AM in Discussion

Maybe your window is stretched out too wide. See if clicking the Maximize icon helps - it's to the left of the X (Close) icon in the upper right corner. Or try to drag the edges of the window smaller. 

#93282 Another question about a custom report

Posted by mapleleaf on 16 March 2019 - 02:27 AM in Discussion

Hi Nikki, 

This might help: http://blog.rootsmagic.com/?p=2288

#93094 Any news on RM 8 complete rewrite?

Posted by mapleleaf on 02 March 2019 - 09:56 AM in Discussion

Tom, it is strangely silent at the Facebook group.

In case anyone missed it, the sale ends today: http://rootsmagic.com/rootstech

RootsMagic 7 Software Download + RootsMagic 7 eBook + RootsMagic 8 Download (when released) for $20.00 ($45 value). 

I was told that since I already have version 7, if I want to upgrade to 8 when it comes out, the cost later will be more that the upgrade price in past upgrades (more than $19.95). So getting another license for version 7 with free upgrade to version 8 for $20 seems like a good deal. Assuming version 8 will be really great and a must have! :-) 

#91189 RM7 in Windows 10 Database Location

Posted by mapleleaf on 28 September 2018 - 12:05 AM in Discussion

Under Tools > Program Options > Folders, you can change the location for Backup files.