deckie49's Content

There have been 4 items by deckie49 (Search limited from 21-January 20)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#94769 Need Help Restoring Lost Data after a Places Merge

Posted by deckie49 on 15 August 2019 - 12:40 PM in Discussion

Thank you both for your help and ideas. Fortunately, it hasn't been too long since my last update, so this is fixable. I guess I should consider myself lucky for that :) .

I think the most upsetting and confusing part about all this is that I just cannot understand why Rootsmagic has such "minefields" as this that clearly put our data in jepordy. As you mention, Jerry, this issue has already been brought to the attention of management, probably more than a few times, They are perfectly aware of the issue. Yet, they choose to ignore fixing the issues and instead focus on "features" designed to make the program look better than it is, and lure in more users. I don't begrudge anyone from doing well in business, but I have a difficult time trusting or respecting anyone who would knowingly ignore issues that pose dangers to their customers data.

Where's the integrity in that?

#94720 Need Help Restoring Lost Data after a Places Merge

Posted by deckie49 on 12 August 2019 - 02:57 PM in Discussion

Today I noticed that I had a duplicate entry for a place in which a cemetery was located. I merged the two places without any issues.

I then noticed in the Place Details list that there were two duplicate entries for the cemetery. I also noticed there was a Place Detail called "n/a".

I wasn't able to merge the two duplicate cemetery names. Apparently, that is not withing RM's ability. But I did delete the "n/a". Doing that completely erased all data accociated with the cemetery place and place details.

Is it possible to recove my lost data?

I know there is no "undo" function in RM. 

Does RM do periodic backups in the background that might be restored?

Is there an SQLite function?

Or, barring any of the above possibilities, would it be possible to edit the GEDCOM to bring back the information?

Thank you all in advance!

#93914 Date Formatting

Posted by deckie49 on 15 May 2019 - 09:56 AM in Discussion

Not so. Display and export are independent of the stored format. So display could be in a format that is not GEDCOM compliant but the app would have to export and import in compliance. Otherwise, avoid that app - it's stuck in the 80's.

Tom,

Thanks for the clarification!

#93894 Date Formatting

Posted by deckie49 on 14 May 2019 - 08:32 AM in Discussion

Jim,

FYI, here is a link explaining the GEDCOM Date TAG and all the acceptable formats. That should be your guide. Even if you found a program that would allow you to enter your date the way you want, if it isn't GEDCOM compliant it would just create problems.

http://wiki-en.genea...OM/DATE-Tag#Tag