Mavros's Content

There have been 6 items by Mavros (Search limited from 16-September 18)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#26172 Migrating from version 3

Posted by Mavros on 28 April 2009 - 02:35 PM in Issues

QUOTE(Romer @ Apr 28 2009, 10:27 AM) View Post

Mavros, how did you originally get your RM3 database into RM4? If you did a direct import, you should be essentially following the same process this time around. You might also want to double-check to make sure that the RM3 database you're trying to import isn't blank, itself.

Tx, everyone for the hekp, I was importing a blank database.

#26167 Migrating from version 3

Posted by Mavros on 28 April 2009 - 10:22 AM in Issues

QUOTE(Alfred @ Apr 27 2009, 07:55 PM) View Post

You CANNOT RESTORE a version 3 backup into version 4.
You have to IMPORT a version 3 database into version 4.

If you open version 4 and close the database, leaving the RootsMagic program there with no database loaded,
(Either click the lower X in the upper right corner or go to the File menu and choose CLOSE)
You will see a window asking what you want to do, choose IMPORT.
Make sure that "RootsMagic (version 1-3)" is selected then click on "SEARCH FOR FILES"
It will take a little while, but it will show you all of your RootsMagic 1-3 databases from which you choose the one to which you just added your information.

You can even click on the date modified to sort that way and choose the latest one.

double click on the one you want ot click on it to highlight it and click the Open File button and it will be imported into RootaMagic 4 for you.

QUOTE(Alfred @ Apr 27 2009, 07:55 PM) View Post

You CANNOT RESTORE a version 3 backup into version 4.
You have to IMPORT a version 3 database into version 4.

If you open version 4 and close the database, leaving the RootsMagic program there with no database loaded,
(Either click the lower X in the upper right corner or go to the File menu and choose CLOSE)
You will see a window asking what you want to do, choose IMPORT.
Make sure that "RootsMagic (version 1-3)" is selected then click on "SEARCH FOR FILES"
It will take a little while, but it will show you all of your RootsMagic 1-3 databases from which you choose the one to which you just added your information.

You can even click on the date modified to sort that way and choose the latest one.

double click on the one you want ot click on it to highlight it and click the Open File button and it will be imported into RootaMagic 4 for you.

Alfed, I tried what you said and at the end I get a window'Create new File' I enter the name of my new fime and leave the rest of the fields as they are, and I still get a blank database.

#26136 Migrating from version 3

Posted by Mavros on 27 April 2009 - 07:18 PM in Issues

QUOTE(Romer @ Apr 27 2009, 04:22 PM) View Post

If you never made any changes to your RM4 database since originally importing your RM3 database into RM4, simply delete your original RM4 database and import your latest RM3 database (File > Import) back into RM4. You can then begin using that one going forward.

When I try the above i get a blank database

#26126 Migrating from version 3

Posted by Mavros on 27 April 2009 - 04:13 PM in Issues

I have version 4 installed and by mistake I went into version 3 and made a bunch of changes. Now I have tried the following to get version 4 to pick up the chasges but no luck:
1. I unistalled version 4 and installed it again but it picks up the old database
2. I have tried to restore from the version 3 database but vesrion 4 can not see it. I know it's
becuase when I go into version 3 I can see it.

Any suggestions as to how to get vesrion 4 to pick up the new version 3 database?

#22805 Recovering photos

Posted by Mavros on 26 September 2008 - 01:59 PM in RootsMagic 3

QUOTE(Alfred @ Sep 25 2008, 06:49 PM) View Post

You can see the photos? OR, do you just see the names of the photo files?

If you only see the names in RootsMagic, and you didn't specifically copy those photo files to a removable drive, then about the only way to recover them is to have someone salvage those files from the old hard drive. (That CAN be expensive.)

If you can actually see the photos, then you can probably copy them to your new hard drive and do a search and replace of the multimedia file path name to get them relinked into RootsMagic.

I can see the pictues,however I am kind of knew to this, can you be little more specific as to how to perform the above procedure? tx

#22792 Recovering photos

Posted by Mavros on 25 September 2008 - 06:13 PM in RootsMagic 3

MY HD failed and I had to get another,once I installed Rootsmagic I tried to restore my data from an external drive, I got everything but the photos. If I go to the backup copy I can see the photos, any way of getting them into the new database?