lpigott's Content

There have been 4 items by lpigott (Search limited from 25-January 19)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#4011 GEDCOM Import Record Numbers

Posted by lpigott on 20 November 2004 - 01:46 PM in RootsMagic 3

ohmy.gif Sorry about that. I just saw the option to keep the deleted records when I make it think the GEDCOM came from RootsMagic.

All's well again! tongue.gif

Lola

#4010 GEDCOM Import Record Numbers

Posted by lpigott on 20 November 2004 - 01:28 PM in RootsMagic 3

mad.gif GR-R-R-R-R
I had a disk crash and had to upgrade to V2.0 (from V1.04b) and am trying now to re-create my databases from my old GEDCOM files (from Family Tree, etc). I had figured out how to keep my original record numbers (INDI numbers or whatever you want to call them) by making RootsMagic think the GEDCOM had been created by RootsMagic (see my April posts).

Now, I can't get it to work in V2.0. This is extremely disappointing. I have other programs that use this number as a cross-reference and I can't have it changing. Yes, I can go through the rig-a-ma-roll to create a reference number from the GEDCOM INDI number and change my other programs to use the reference number. But that creates additional problems. What happens when I add another individual to my database and RootsMagic now assigns a record number duplicating one of my reference numbers (because it is catching up to the old record numbers from the original database)? Now I'll have two individuals with the same reference number. Totally unacceptable. As is adding a prefix or suffix. Also, it's additional work when adding individuals to the database. Now it will be necessary to create and enter another fact. This might not be too bad when only adding a handful of people, but suppose a GEDCOM is imported and added to the database????

PLEASE unsure.gif I need a quick patch to preserve my old record numbers. blink.gif

Thanks,

Lola

#383 GEDCOM Import Record Numbers

Posted by lpigott on 29 April 2004 - 11:51 AM in RootsMagic 3

Never mind. I "fudged it" by making it think the GEDCOM had been created by RootsMagic!! Worked like a charm!

#382 GEDCOM Import Record Numbers

Posted by lpigott on 29 April 2004 - 11:40 AM in RootsMagic 3

I am running V1.04b. I have read the FAQ. I have checked my GEDCOM file. I have tried this over and over in case I could spot where I was overlooking something. Obviously I am, but it completely escapes me.

I have attempted to import a GEDCOM from Ancestry.com to create a brand new file. I also attempted this using a GEDCOM from Family Tree Maker.

In neither case was I given an option to keep the old record numbers. The only option I was given (other than the new database name) was whether or not I wanted to add a source note to each record from the GEDCOM file. However, if I try to import a GEDCOM from RootsMagic, it DOES give me the option to keep the old record numbers. That's a little weird. Why would I create a GEDCOM from RootsMagic to import into RootsMagic?? Oh well, I gues I could have obtained the GEDCOM from someone else.

This (keeping the original record number) is a VERY important option for me. I need to be able to do this when importing a GEDCOM from either Family Tree Maker or Ancestry.com.

Can someone help me determine what I might be doing wrong??

Thanks,

Lola