jbennette's Content

There have been 3 items by jbennette (Search limited from 06-December 18)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#92181 Linking media files on different computers

Posted by jbennette on 20 December 2018 - 10:52 AM in Discussion

KFN - thanks for the idea. 

I think I'll just put my media on a USB thumb drive - cheap, small, easy to transport. Then all I have to do is assign the same drive letter to the thumb drive on both computers. Plug and play!

Fortunately, the database is accessible on both computers using Dropbox. And Dropbox gives me automatic backup to the cloud.

Thanks everyone for the useful ideas and speedy assistance. I probably hit this board about once a decade, and in each instance, I've received quick and useful responses.

Cheers!

- Greg

#92171 Linking media files on different computers

Posted by jbennette on 19 December 2018 - 09:20 PM in Discussion

TomH - thanks. And, yeah, good point about the database sync on Dropbox. 

Vyger - thanks. I don't think I want to change my drive assignments for this one application.

#92161 Linking media files on different computers

Posted by jbennette on 19 December 2018 - 02:31 PM in Discussion

I recently installed RM7 on my laptop PC. I also have RM7 installed on my desktop PC. Both are Windows 10 PCs. I'm using the same database and media (stored on Dropbox) for both RM installs. Media links break because they point to different local Dropbox locations - L:\dropbox\genealogy\media and C:\users\...\dropbox\genealogy\media. 

I assume that if I fix the broken links on my laptop RM install, it will change the links in the database - and therefore break links in RM I use on my desktop PC.

I would love to share one RM database and media folder to both computers so when I make a change on either machine, I see the change in the other - and media appears the same on both machines. 

- Greg