lmparks6838's Content

There have been 37 items by lmparks6838 (Search limited from 20-November 18)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#12737 RM crashes

Posted by lmparks6838 on 05 April 2006 - 12:51 PM in RootsMagic 3

QUOTE(Guest_PFG_* @ Mar 31 2006, 02:45 PM) View Post

java script:emoticon(':D', 'smid_4')
biggrin.gif
You will find Clearing the HISTORY every now and then depending on amout of work will stop this happerning, I have not had any problems since doing this on large sesions.
Regards
PFG

What "history" is this referring to? Is there a history in RM that I've never noticed?

Thanks,
Linda

#12054 Fact substitution

Posted by lmparks6838 on 04 March 2006 - 11:18 AM in RootsMagic 3

QUOTE(lmparks6838 @ Mar 3 2006, 07:35 PM) View Post

Does it also work for baptism? We use the term baptism, not christen, in our family.

So what's the answer on this? In my dictionary, christen implies baptism plus naming of the person. Baptism is defined as just the ceremonial joining of the church community (rough transcription of what it really said).

Is this a family tradition or a religious tradition of what you call this ceremony? We're Catholics, and we just always used the word "baptism." Do other denominations use the word christen? But then, a person can be baptised when they are not an infant anymore, and one would presume they have already been given a name by that time....

I wonder if anybody knows the history of the difference between these two terms?

And just to confirm, christen will replace birth on the main screen, but baptism will not?

Linda

QUOTE(John_of_Ross_County @ Mar 4 2006, 09:52 AM) View Post

The fact type "Will [proved]" matches your example more closely.

John -- I don't have this fact on my list. Did you define this yourself? If so, how did you word the sentence?

Linda

#12045 Fact substitution

Posted by lmparks6838 on 03 March 2006 - 07:35 PM in RootsMagic 3

Thank you Alfred. I was surprised when I came across a person in my database who had no death fact, but did have a burial, and at the top of the RM screen, where it shows an individual's picture and b/m/d info, it had b/m/bu (for burial). So if I have a person with a christen date, but no birth date, will it show c/m/d? Does it also work for baptism? We use the term baptism, not christen, in our family.

As a side note, I wonder why I would want to mark a person as not living just because they signed a will. Gee, I've signed a will, and I'm still on the right side of the dirt... smile.gif

Linda

#12033 Fact substitution

Posted by lmparks6838 on 03 March 2006 - 09:28 AM in RootsMagic 3

Hi, I'm trying to find in the online help file or Getting the Most Out of RM where it explains what facts RM will substitute when a main fact is missing. For example, when I don't have a death fact, but I do have a burial.

Could someone please list all the facts that RM will substitute, or direct me to the help file that would have a list of these?

Thanks,
Linda

#12014 Record number

Posted by lmparks6838 on 02 March 2006 - 01:11 PM in RootsMagic 3

Hi, I was wondering if the record number that RM assigns to newly added people ever gets reused. For example, if I had 300 people in my database, and I deleted person 100, when I added my 301st person, would the program reuse the record number for person 100?

Thanks,
Linda

#11988 3.2 Patch

Posted by lmparks6838 on 28 February 2006 - 11:30 AM in RootsMagic 3

QUOTE(KHemmelman @ Feb 15 2006, 07:16 PM) View Post

Just wanted to say thanks for the persistence with an issue that I've had for some time. It's not listed in the items that were fixed by the 3.2 patch, but when I would generate a Wall Chart with photos included, many of the photos would be "mis-assigned" to the wrong person. This occured on every Ancestor or Descendant chart I would make if it included photos. Also, if I were to "copy - paste" items from one Wall Chart into another, the photos would get mis-assigned too. The 3.2 patch has fixed this pesky problem. I know I was one of only a few users that experienced this problem, so many thanks for keeping at it until it got fixed! This is a big fix for me and it is much appreciated. (Don't know if most RM users have tried this, but you can make some very nice charts by copying-pasting parts of one chart into another to combine various trees, etc. into one large wall chart giving you a chart that the program by itself cannot generate. You can make a very attractive "Ancestor - Descendant" chart of your parents this way.)

Also, adding the popup calendar is a nice touch! Most people don't find this useful or care about it, but I just can't help wanting to know what day certain events occured on while I'm looking at individuals.

And the FTM direct import is an excellent addition! Just like the popup calendar, this isn't something you'd expect to be included in a "patch" for a program since it's a pretty significant addition offering new functionality instead of just fixing bugs.

Bruce, bravo on this update and many thanks for all the hard work on this patch for RM 3.

Keith Hemmelman

I wanted to second these thanks to Bruce! I was one of the other users having a major problem with this small glitch with the photos in wall charts. I'm sure it was a bugger to find what was causing it.

I also loooove the new calendar!!

Thanks
Linda

#11987 Narrative Report Problem

Posted by lmparks6838 on 28 February 2006 - 11:18 AM in RootsMagic 3

Alfred, thank you for your reply. I checked on the things you mentioned.

I already had <name> in the "Sentence template for people with no entered facts."

There are no sort dates entered.

The user-defined facts print first, whether or not they were the first fact listed.

I've tried to test this pretty thoroughly by doing variations, and it seems to happen only in the situation described in my first post. (No dates, no sort dates, no places, no birth fact, then user-defined facts print before the name on the narrative report).

Thanks,
Linda

#11950 Narrative Report Problem

Posted by lmparks6838 on 27 February 2006 - 04:32 PM in RootsMagic 3

Hi, I have noticed a small oddity in the Narrative report. I'll try to explain it clearly.

If I have a person who has no birth fact, and has a number of other facts defined, but with no dates or places for any of the facts. Some facts are user-defined, some facts are standard.

When I print the Narrative descendant report, the user-defined facts print first, then the person's name in bold type. Then the standard facts will print after the person's name.

So, if I have a family where none of the kids had a birth fact, their name is not the first thing to print on their line (e.g. after the 1.1 on a D'Aboville report).

Is there a way to force it to print the person's name first after the 1.1 (or whatever). It seems to already do this for regular facts, but not for user-defined facts.

If I need to explain this more clearly, let me know!
Thanks,
Linda

#11175 Place List Notes / Place List Printing

Posted by lmparks6838 on 26 January 2006 - 07:31 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

QUOTE(Ted Bremer @ Jan 7 2006, 05:50 PM) View Post

I would like to a new choice added here, allowing for multiple places to be selected and printed (base on searching, for notes being there). Then perhaps a window of those selected that I could deselect those that I didn't wanted, like the explorer.

I would like to be able to print all the places and their notes from a certain area, like a state or county.

Linda

#11174 Descendant Chart

Posted by lmparks6838 on 26 January 2006 - 07:23 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

I would like to second this request!

Linda

#10012 Calendar on Tools Menu

Posted by lmparks6838 on 22 November 2005 - 09:23 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

QUOTE(kbens0n @ Nov 17 2005, 02:21 PM)
For a simple calendar utility that you can use while leaving your RootsMagic screen intact...

Double-click the -=TIME=- (Windows clock) shown in the Windows System Tray (lower right-hand portion of the Windows task bar). Quick to open, use and close.

View Post

I tried this (who knew that was there??), but it seems to go back only to 1980 before switching to 2099. Am I right with this?

Thanks,
Linda

#9857 Calendar on Tools Menu

Posted by lmparks6838 on 17 November 2005 - 11:23 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

KHemmelman -- that is EXACTLY what I would like! Thanks for the screen-shots. Having the whole year shown at a time would be great! I think it's neat that they have the month, year, and calculator calendars all in one spot.

Now that I've seen those screen-shots, I want to put ten exclamation points next to my original request!

Linda

#9814 Calendar on Tools Menu

Posted by lmparks6838 on 16 November 2005 - 10:43 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

Wayne, the Days program works great -- thanks! I put it on my quicklaunch.

#9800 Calendar on Tools Menu

Posted by lmparks6838 on 15 November 2005 - 10:03 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

Laura -- thank you! I get it now! Yes, the Reports calendar does do what I want it to. A calendar toolbar button would be cool though.

Wayne -- thanks for your reply. Do you run Windows XP, and is this freeware compatible (i.e. not caused any strange problems)? I ask, because it seems every time I download freeware lately, I end up having to do a system restore to get my system back to normal. I'm a little more wary than I used to be!

Thanks!
Linda

#9768 Calendar on Tools Menu

Posted by lmparks6838 on 14 November 2005 - 10:34 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

QUOTE(Laura @ Nov 14 2005, 02:33 PM)
Click on Report and the Calendar is on that menu.

Laura

View Post

I never noticed that calendar there before! However, Craigg is right, it's not what I was thinking of. Frequently, I want to figure out what day of the week something happened on, and that is really easy to do when you've got a fact dialog open. However, I don't want to have to open a dialog to get that function.

Thanks!
Linda

#9746 Calendar on Tools Menu

Posted by lmparks6838 on 14 November 2005 - 10:16 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

I would like to have a calendar located on the Tools menu. Sometimes I'm just trying to figure out when something happened, not actually entering a fact. Unless I'm missing something, I think that I have top open up a fact dialog to get the calendar, right?

Thanks!
Linda

#9547 Error when restoring backup

Posted by lmparks6838 on 29 October 2005 - 03:31 PM in RootsMagic 3

Hi,

I work jointly on a database with people located across the U.S. and in Germany. We decided the best way to share would be to have only one of us work on the database at a time, then when that person is done with their work, they would distribute a backup to the rest via Yousendit.com, which allows you to send large files for free. We did not want to do GEDCOM's because there's too many private notes that we would always have to remember to check and uncheck when sending.

So, our German person loaded the backup file to Yousendit.com, and I got the notice that I could go get it. I downloaded it, and restored the backup just fine. She had put a note in the following location so that we could be sure it was the correct and latest version of the database before I started working: Tools>Options>Preparer>Website. She put her name and the date in that field. I saw her name there, as expected, but the two other members of our group also downloaded the file and restored on their machines, and they just saw a blank field. However, the changes made to the people in the database by the German person were all there. We thought that was a little strange.

So last night, I decided to upload a backup to Yousendit.com, and have the other three people download and restore. The German person still sees her own name in the Website field I described above. The other two people still see a blank field. I had changed it to read my own name and yesterday's date. Yet, the changes I made to the database itself are all there (I think).

What's going on? sad.gif
Thanks!
Linda

#9535 Pasting text in citation details

Posted by lmparks6838 on 28 October 2005 - 08:50 PM in RootsMagic 3

I transcribe my newspaper articles in Word or WordPerfect. When I paste the text of the article into my citation details, in Word the apostrophe turns into and = sign, in WordPerfect, it turns into an up and down line that looks like this: | but heavier. I'm using TimesRoman when I transcribe, which should translate just fine into Arial, shouldn't it?

Thanks!
Linda

#9025 Private marriage fact question

Posted by lmparks6838 on 02 October 2005 - 10:05 AM in RootsMagic 3

I have a couple situations where I know about a marriage someone had, but that person does not want it to be known that that marriage ever occurred. I had been putting information like that in my own user-defined "private" fact type, but then I saw the ability in RM3 to mark any fact as private. So I happily put the marriage fact in, and then checked the "private" check box. However, when I print a report, the un-desireable spouse still shows up, but with no details about the marriage.

Obviously, RM is suppressing the fact information, but still shows the spouse's name. I would rather it suppressed that person entirely when I've marked a marriage as private. Am I misunderstanding the function of the private checkbox?

Thanks!
Linda

#9024 Backup name ormat

Posted by lmparks6838 on 02 October 2005 - 09:57 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

That's a great idea! I too backup multiple times a day sometimes.

Thanks,
Linda

#8915 Thanks for answering my wish!

Posted by lmparks6838 on 27 September 2005 - 12:26 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

Thanks a bunch Bruce for adding the "other spouses" button in the family view for RM3. It's much appreciated. I "wished" on this a month or two ago!

Linda

#8914 Adopted/Step/Birth Combinations

Posted by lmparks6838 on 27 September 2005 - 12:22 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

QUOTE(JohnG @ Sep 12 2005, 09:05 AM)
In the Edit Family Window there is a column showing the relationship of child to parent(s).  I would like to see dual relationship columns - one for each parent - that, or more options for the existing column.  I have instances where the child no longer lives with either of his/her biological parents and the present parents have differing relationships to that child, (i.e.  adoptive father and step-mother).

View Post

I would like to second this request. I would like to be able to say which parent is a "step" parent, when the other parent is a biological parent.

I would also like to add a request that we have the option to show this information on a report if we so desire. As far as I know (and I asked this on the board once), this "relationship" information doesn't show anywhere but in the family edit screen.

Thanks!
Linda

#8265 Wall Charts

Posted by lmparks6838 on 07 September 2005 - 09:10 AM in RootsMagic 3

The misassigned photos are always a photo from a person that is part of the chart generated, it's never a photo from a completely unrelated person in the database.

I have not downloaded version 3 yet, but I thought I'd add one comment for a clue as to what is going wrong.

If I completely shut down my computer and then start up again, usually the first chart I create will have all correct photos (occasionally one wrong). Then, for subsequent charts, the problem gets progressively worse. But as KHemmelman said, it is always someone from the same chart whose photo repeats onto the next person in line.

Any other testing you would like me to do, just let me know!

Linda

#8262 Has the book changed much for RM3?

Posted by lmparks6838 on 07 September 2005 - 08:55 AM in RootsMagic 3

I'm waiting to order my upgrade until I know if the book is new or not. Is the book now in its Third Edition?

Thanks!
Linda

#8233 Record Number on Reports

Posted by lmparks6838 on 06 September 2005 - 06:53 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

I would like to vote for this request too!

Linda