JeffH13's Content

There have been 15 items by JeffH13 (Search limited from 11-December 18)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#71795 Extra space when using maiden name in endnotes

Posted by JeffH13 on 04 April 2015 - 05:40 AM in Issues

I've tried a few different source templates, both standard and custom and the extra space occurs in both.  Renee, can you add this to the list to fix?

Thanks,

Jeff

#71697 Extra space when using maiden name in endnotes

Posted by JeffH13 on 29 March 2015 - 08:17 AM in Issues

In a source/citation field field which is defined as a Name field, if a woman's maiden name is included in parentheses, RM is adding an extra space in the associated endnote before the parentheses.

Sarah _(Smith) Jones, History of York County . . .

There is an extra space where I've placed an underline.

Jeff

#71604 File compare not matching

Posted by JeffH13 on 23 March 2015 - 05:38 PM in Discussion

Renee, please look at my second post 21 March, 9:42PM.

There has to be >0% match in the examples in my two posts. I have several files started at different times that I'm trying to compare and I'm mostly getting 0%. (The files contain many of the same persons.) If the matches were >0% then I could copy facts etc. between files.

If nothing else, what if the user could manually match, then the compare function would allow copying facts, sources, etc.

Thanks,
Jeff

#71577 File compare not matching

Posted by JeffH13 on 21 March 2015 - 09:42 PM in Discussion

First of all, in my first post, I've correct "UID" to "RIN".  So below, following each name I have the RIN just as RM shows it.

Laura, I'm not sure what you mean "Did you check the matches or just the 0%"

Anyways, I created 3 new data bases, each with the same three people: Andrew Hedberg, Emma Stromberg, and son Herman Hedberg. The parents have a marriage fact but no date or place. There are no other facts: no birthdates, no alternate names, nothing.

Database1 entered child, then father then mother

Database2 entered father, then mother, then child

Database3 entered father, then mother, then child (exact same as Database 2)

First comparison (same data, different order of entry):

% Match          Database2                 Database1

0                                                        Hedberg, Andrew-2
0                                                        Stromberg, Emma-3
0                     Hedberg, Andrew-1
98                   Hedberg, Herman-3   Hedberg, Herman-1
0                     Stromberg, Emma-2

Second comparison Database2 and Database3 (same data, same order of entry): 100% match on all 3 persons.

Returning to the first comparison and adding Andrew's exact birthdate 9 Apr 1854 to both Database 1 & 2 I get:

% Match        Database2                   Database1
0                                                        Stromberg, Emma-3
79                  Hedberg, Andrew-1     Hedberg, Andrew-2
98                  Hedberg, Herman-3    Hedberg, Herman -1
0                    Stromberg, Emma-2

Why is the Andrew-Andrew match only 79% especially since they both have the exact same birth date, and Herman-Herman at 98% has no birth entered?

Repeating this except Andrew's birthdate in Database2 is 9 Apr 1854 and in Database 1 is just 1854:

I get the same results as the "First Comparison" above. That is 98% for Herman-Herman (no birthdates) and 0% for Andrew (similar birthdates) and Emma.

I would have thought that comparing 1854 vs 9 Apr 1854 for two persons (Andrew in both databases) with the same name would produce >0% match.

So there seems to be some disfunctionality.

Jeff

#71568 File compare not matching

Posted by JeffH13 on 21 March 2015 - 06:22 AM in Discussion

I'm not having much success with the file compare feature.

Why do I get 0% match on these entries in the two files I'm comparing?  Because of that, the two don't line up next to each other in file compare so I can't copy facts from one file to another. 

File 1                                                   File 2

Person      Herman Hedberg                    Herman August Hedberg

Name        Herman Hedberg                    Herman August Hedberg

August Herman Hedberg (Alt Name fact)

Birth          27 Mar 1882 Sweden              27 Mar 1882 Sweden

Father       Andrew Hedberg                     Andrew Hedberg

Mother      Emma Stromberg                    Emma Stromberg

File 2 has some additional facts for this person that File 1 doesn't such as Naturalization, Immigration, Occupation, Residence.  They do not have the same RIN.

I would expect some % greater than zero.

Thanks,

Jeff

#69506 Endnote numbers underlined

Posted by JeffH13 on 04 January 2015 - 09:49 AM in Discussion

Ah ha!  So they are hyperlinks. 

Thanks all.

Jeff

#69429 Endnote numbers underlined

Posted by JeffH13 on 03 January 2015 - 08:38 AM in Discussion

Whenever I create a report with the endnotes, the endnote numbers within a report are underlined.  (Just within the report body, not in the endnotes themselves at the end of the report.)

Susan Smith was born 10 August 1900. 12

(Actually, the underline appears further below the number, in line with the period.)

This happens in all reports and regardless of font used.

It does not happen with footnotes.

This occurs in RM7 and it occurred later in RM6 but not initially when RM6 was released.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jeff

#68000 Documenting Parent-Child Relationship

Posted by JeffH13 on 29 November 2014 - 06:38 AM in Discussion

Does anyone have a good method for documenting parent-child relationships?   That is, adding source citations to specifically document who were the children of a set of parents.   I suppose that's what our whole database is about.   But, for example, I wish I could add citations to the sentence that RM automatically generates in a narrative report:  "Raymond Rogers and Anna Martin had the following children:"   To that sentence I would cite possibly a birth record, a parent's obituary, and a child's obituary if those contained supporting information.

Or, do you just add the parent's obit to their death fact (which I would do anyway), the child's birth record to their birth fact, etc., and leave it at that?

Thanks,

Jeff

#67194 Place pop-up

Posted by JeffH13 on 04 November 2014 - 11:48 AM in Discussion

Although I don't (yet) have an Ancestry Member Tree, does anyone know if including "county" in the place name affects getting hints (shaky leaf) one way or another? 

Thanks,

Jeff

#64665 Drag and Drop is duplicating Sources

Posted by JeffH13 on 05 July 2014 - 06:41 AM in Issues

Thanks Tom,

In my case it's the 3rd situation you list.  All my sources use custom templates.

Jeff

#64663 Drag and Drop is duplicating Sources

Posted by JeffH13 on 05 July 2014 - 06:03 AM in Issues

Each instance that I drag and drop a person from one database to another, a duplicate Master Source is created.  So if I drag and drop five people, one at a time, and they each source the 1850 US Census, then five "1850 US Census" are in my Master Source list, all identical.

#64552 How to drag and drop a couple between databases?

Posted by JeffH13 on 29 June 2014 - 06:10 AM in Discussion

The RM Help file says when dragging a person between databases, you have to drag both the person and the spouse in order to copy family facts like marriage.

How do you drag both husband and wife together?

When I drag a person, there are several choices such as person plus ancestors, but not one for just person and spouse.  There is a choice for let me choose people from the database.  Is that how to do it?

Thanks,

Jeff

#64444 Error Message: Page Too Small [5000]

Posted by JeffH13 on 21 June 2014 - 05:41 AM in Discussion

I'm getting an error message when trying to run some reports:  "Page Too Small [5000]".

I wanted to print Family Group Sheets for every family in my file.  I have five hundred people in the file.  Even when I only select 10 families I get this message.  This has happened on other reports as well.

I'm running RM6 on Windows 7, 64 bit, 4GB memory.

Anyone know the meaning or how to resolve it?

Thanks,

Jeff

#64404 Merging two databases

Posted by JeffH13 on 16 June 2014 - 11:35 AM in Discussion

Thanks for the detailed steps.  I think one of the tough parts will be to get down to a common set of sources/citations.  One file was created back when there were no source templates and everything is the generic source template.  The other file uses the Evidence Explained templates (some standard and some that I've modified).

Thanks,

Jeff

#64371 Merging two databases

Posted by JeffH13 on 15 June 2014 - 05:28 AM in Discussion

I have two databases I want to merge.  Many of the people are the same between the two.  The two databases resulted from re-doing sources to the latest formats, starting over, etc.

While many of the people are the same, one file contains many more facts and sources for some people, and the other file has many more facts and sources for other people.  So I want to merge these two databases and keep all the information.

I've watched some webinars and read some of the help file, but I'm not clear how to proceed.  Do I just drag a person from one file to another?

Thanks,

Jeff