TruthSeeker's Content

There have been 20 items by TruthSeeker (Search limited from 12-July 19)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#77183 Where do Shared Events Print??

Posted by TruthSeeker on 15 January 2016 - 03:12 PM in Discussion

On any of the people involved in a Shared fact, highlight a fact, look in the right pane unfer [Fact] details. You will see a Share button. If the fact has not been shared it will say Share this fact to the right of the button. If the fact has been shared, it will say [number] people share this [Fact name] fact.

I have done this and the people are in the database rether than just type a name they still dont appear in narrative or individual reports for the lady in question who I believe is the principle or sharee.

On the Edit pereon screen, you can select Options and check or uncheck Show shared events for that person.

I think some indication here would be useful

#77164 Where do Shared Events Print??

Posted by TruthSeeker on 15 January 2016 - 01:37 PM in Discussion

I have entered a lady who appeared on a census return and also 5 other people who where in the household. The other 5 people were noted as nephews and neices so I entered them individually in the database and linked them as sharing the census. Firstly no obvious icon appears on the edit person screen of the householder to show the event is shared, this would be useful. A more important question is where do these nephews and neices print out? I have tried individual report and narritive report and they do not get a mention.

#77317 What is correct method to request new features (That rootsMagic will actually...

Posted by TruthSeeker on 19 January 2016 - 10:10 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

On the whole the program is quite good (I am a recent convert from Family Tree Maker) but do some polishing in the UI in quite few areas. But I find it quite frustrating that it appears to be single threaded and all the Windows are modal. I/.e they have to be closed before you can do anything else.

I want to be able to easily access and edit my source templates whilst I still have my person editor or source citation windows open. but no, you have to close everything in order to go back to change the customs source template if it isn't quite right. That's very time consuming! It indicates a very old fashioned approach to the application programming.

As well as a genealogy hobbyist I am also a professional SW programmer.

I would agree with this, the information available on one screen is limited and there is a lot of jumping about which is frustrating. I have been trying to learn some rootsmagic history by reading these forums and it seems the program has evolved like this with new bits being bolted on rather than integrated. I also read a lot that some features were maybe not completely finished and that the next version will be a complete rewrite so hopefully the development team are up to modern programing methods.

#77378 Update wish

Posted by TruthSeeker on 20 January 2016 - 04:35 PM in Discussion

With each update to RM-7 I need to re enter the "Folders" information under Program Options.

It seems the post refers to "each update to RM-7"

#76800 Sourcing - Is There a Best Practice ???

Posted by TruthSeeker on 08 January 2016 - 08:06 AM in Discussion

Whether lumping (as I do) or splitting (as others do), I think the key consideration is this:

can the reader of your reports use your source info to find the record/document used?

If all your source says is "the document is in my file cabinet" that's not much use to anybody else.

That simple answer in bold was all I needed, up to now my main use of sources was to enable me to return to the record is I needed to. It makes sence that if the printed output contains enough information to so the same then there is no need to over complicate things.

Also thank you Deckie49, I will stay to free form sources, again keep it simple.

#76752 Sourcing - Is There a Best Practice ???

Posted by TruthSeeker on 07 January 2016 - 08:58 AM in Discussion

I would like to seek some opinions or further reading on Sourcing from those more expert than I am. I see there are lumpers and splitters but what are the ups and downs? If I have it right splitters are going to have a very long Source List presenting the possible difficulty when adding more information from an existing source years down the line. It would seem lumpers follow a more logical path of the master source being for example National Archives of Canada and then the citation information being more specific regarding the collection, I probably have that wrong.

Since I have imported files in the past I have examples of both which I would like to tidy, so is "Rochester Democrat & Chronicle" a Master Source or a citation of a Source named "Newspaper Articles" or "Newspaper Obituaries"?

I have never been strong on sourcing more wanting it to give me enough information to go back to the record rather than printing professional manuscripts so should I get too hung up on this?

I'm still with FTM but investigating other options which has made me look at my file with a large magnifying glass and now realise that there is a lot of work ahead regardless of the path I choose. I have been looking down through Rootsmagic Source Templates and the information seems to be mainly in the Master Source rather than the Citation, is that the way I should be going?

Should I use Rootsmagic Source Templates or Freeform sources? that seems to be another discussion regarding compatibility.

So much to consider so any opinions or pointers to further reading would be appreciated before I make this important decision. This is going to take a considerable time and is not something I want to regret in the future. I am also sure other newish users would benefit from such guidance, I know when I started I had no idea and probably not much wiser now.

#77184 How to search marriage record number?

Posted by TruthSeeker on 15 January 2016 - 03:19 PM in Discussion

The Marriage List is the only place the Marriage Record Number will show in RootsMagic. On the Report Settings check the option "Print marriage record number".  There isn't anyway to search by marriage record number inside RootsMagic. It's just a random number generated by the program. You will find that the marriage record number you had in Legacy may not be preserved inside RootsMagic as the same number .

The best thing to do if you depend on marriage record numbers is to create a fact just for those numbers. Then you will never lose them regardless of what program you are using. You could use the "Reference Number (REFN)" fact and select it as the "number to display after name" under File Options. Whatever fact you setup to hold the Marriage Record Number can be added to the People View as a column, by customizing that view. Then you can click on the column header to sort the numbers in chronological order.

This is crazy, no individual numbers are reported on the marriage list and the marriage record number is just some random thing! so ho do you move to the partnership you want if you have several John and Jane Does? Legacy have a marriage list or table you can work through and in FTM you could click in the report to move to the couple you want, surely this must be a hole in the program

#77168 How to search marriage record number?

Posted by TruthSeeker on 15 January 2016 - 02:04 PM in Discussion

I can't find a marriage table like that in Legacy Family Tree and now I can't find a way to search on the marriage record number like that reported in the marriage list, am I missing something? The marriage list does not print record numbers so there seems to be some break in connection or I am looking in the wrong place, please help.

I do hope rootsmagic bring in reports you can click on to move to where you want I am really missing this from family tree maker.

#77197 How to search marriage record number?

Posted by TruthSeeker on 15 January 2016 - 05:00 PM in Discussion

Thank you Laura and TomH, that is exactly what I was looking for, I really miss being able to select from reports like in FTM

#77379 How to search marriage record number?

Posted by TruthSeeker on 20 January 2016 - 04:40 PM in Discussion

Thank you

#76585 FTM & RM 7.0.10.0

Posted by TruthSeeker on 02 January 2016 - 04:38 PM in Discussion

As you experiment hands on with RootsMagic and Legacy, you may decide you like working with Places in RootsMagic. Or, you might decide you like Legacy's process better.

Just watching a video or looking at screen shots will not really tell me if I will actually like the way a program hamdles a feature until I try it hands on.

If I was in the position of needing to choose another program, I would tryout other programs and make a detailed list of what I liked and disliked about all features in each program while trying to be objective and not comparing with RootsMagic.

The program that had the most likes would be the winner. That will be the program that I would be most comforable using even if it does have feature handling I don't like.

That's exactly what I would intend to do

#76507 FTM & RM 7.0.10.0

Posted by TruthSeeker on 31 December 2015 - 09:40 PM in Discussion

Thanks for the update. I haven't finished the verification yet, but looks like most things came across from FTM 2014. The LST file isn't too big.

As a "wrap up" for FTM Refugees, is it RM's opinion the most complete export from FTM 2014 is the Gedcom 5.5/FTM2012 export?

So far that has been my experience as it also includes:

Media Date

Media Description

which Gedcom 5.5/Other does not.

I have a feeling this is the kind of advice many FTM converts are looking for. If so, you may want to update the FTM to RM video on your web site.

I'm still finding some problems like those explained by riegelstamm, is this RM's final effort to help?

#76569 FTM & RM 7.0.10.0

Posted by TruthSeeker on 02 January 2016 - 12:49 PM in Discussion

Thst is up to Bruce Buzbee.

Renee has stated on another thread that no changes will be made in RM at this time if it requires a change in RM's database structure.

Bruce is doing a complete rewrite of RM so it will work on either Windows or Mac so I doubt he will be making any database structures changes for any reason to RM 7.

If he can make further corrections to the import of FTM gedcoms without changing RM's database structure, he might do that.

Thank you for the informed reply Laura, it's always best to approach these things being fully aware. The latest version of FTM is as modern as Rootsmagic so I think I will continue with FTM whilst studying other options for the future. I have watched some videos on Rootsmagic and dealing with places is not so straightforward as in FTM, this item and quality reports are very important to me. I have downloaded the free version of Rootsmagic and Legacy so I will work with them both on the side and wait to see what there next versions bring before committing my research to a new platform.

#77265 Finding sources with blank citations - page number

Posted by TruthSeeker on 17 January 2016 - 06:07 PM in Discussion

I'm still confused why on the path of progress something would get lost. Laura you seem to be elevating Bruce to some heights but if things are being dropped or forgotten about and Bruce is the driving force behind rootsmagic then I think that is a little misplaced.

#77233 Finding sources with blank citations - page number

Posted by TruthSeeker on 17 January 2016 - 08:22 AM in Discussion

How do I find sources with a blank citation? These are free form sources when you hit edit you see a single "page number" line in Source Details and I know I have some blank ones. I can find all sorts of things under search but not page number or citation, I truied "text is blank" but this did not give me the resuts I was looking for.

#77270 Finding sources with blank citations - page number

Posted by TruthSeeker on 17 January 2016 - 08:46 PM in Discussion

I do not appreciate your personal comment.

I recognize your comment but if something that was gedcom compatible existed in rootsmagic like standard sources and searching for these was dropped in favor of a non standard system then I see this as a negative and not something to defend rootsmagic on.

#77245 Finding sources with blank citations - page number

Posted by TruthSeeker on 17 January 2016 - 12:35 PM in Discussion

Thank you all but rootsmagic is getting more and more confusing to me, there are so many decisions to make. I read reasons not to use shared events, reasons not to use place details and reasons not to use source templates including duplication and lack of gedcom support. Now if I have read these kind answers correctly rootsmagic dropped some support fro free form sources many years ago or did they just forget to put it back in?

The more I read the more I don't know what to do for the best, the gereral opinion is to avoid all the whistles and bells and keep to the basic genealogy old fashioned things so I keep within gedcom support but now I am reading that I can't search old style compatible sources from within rootsmagic, duh

#77318 Finding sources with blank citations - page number

Posted by TruthSeeker on 19 January 2016 - 10:15 AM in Discussion

OK my readings suggest that the database and the program changed in version 4 so that so that can partly explain the support for this search being left out. I can only hope that it returns in the next version as searching this information is an important consideration.

#76586 ATTN: RMTRIX Author

Posted by TruthSeeker on 02 January 2016 - 04:45 PM in Discussion

I am going to assume that since you didn't specifically mention it that none of the managers you are aware of can perform string manipulation based on logic like one can in VB?

I will look at other options maybe working with the gedcom file itself

#76568 ATTN: RMTRIX Author

Posted by TruthSeeker on 02 January 2016 - 12:34 PM in Discussion

Sorry to ask a sort of unrelated question but what is the best SQL manager for use with RM and can any of them manipulate within strings. Finally is there any notes of caution altering the rootsmagic database through external means? I'm kinda new to this but would be willing to learn if it was worth it.