robertjacobs0's Content

There have been 55 items by robertjacobs0 (Search limited from 08-December 18)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#95443 Index / Search needs retooling

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 26 September 2019 - 07:42 AM in Discussion

Did you check the index for the entries of people with missing surnames? RootsMagic, like every other genealogical program, would surely be making unwarranted -- and unwanted -- assumptions by assigning surnames automatically.

The father probably showed up on the pedigree screen as well.

I grant that single names are a problem; there are a few Native Americans in my wife's tree and I've entered their names as surnames. There may be other and better ways of dealing with those names, but I wouldn't expect much help or consistency from Ancestry trees in that regard.

#95349 Wish List - Alternate Names

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 20 September 2019 - 07:54 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

You can enter alternate names or spellings using the built-in "Alternate name" fact. By using the sort date feature the alternate(s) can display at any point on the edit person screen or in reports.

#95772 Cascade lastname change

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 22 October 2019 - 11:14 AM in Discussion

You can use search and replace for surnames. Once the screen opens, you can choose between "replace" and "replace all." "Replace all"  obviously isn't suitable in this case because you evidently have people who kept the original surname.

Unless you have a very large number of people to screen, search & replace is still probably your best bet. RootsMagic won't, AFAIK, descend the ladder.

Another option would be to make a named group consisting of the person who changed the name and all of his descendants. You could export the named group to a new database, make the change globally (i.e., "replace all"), import the people back into the main database and use the merge function to make it all coherent again. The first method looks better to me.

#92123 Search person list for alternate name tags

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 17 December 2018 - 08:59 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

One cannot search the person list to find people who have alternate name tags. I would like to see that ability added, and added so that one can search by the various flavors of the alternate name tag: married, immigrant, AKA, spelling variation, no type designation, etc.

I'm aware -- there is a very useful thread in RM7 issues -- that information about alternate name tags can be obtained via the fact list and through /Reports/Lists/Fact list, but the report generated doesn't show the types of the alternate names in the database. Moreover, it's cumbersome to edit the alternate name tags of individuals when they have been generated by the list and or report function.

#95058 7.6.1 freeze

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 30 August 2019 - 11:53 AM in Issues

I open RootsMagic 7.6.1, go to Tools/File Options/Ancestry and click on "Disconnect from Ancestry tree." RootsMagic locks up and I have to use the Task Manager to exit. The task manager reports "RootsMagic not responding." I'm actually not sure whether the Ancestry Tree is actually linked or not.

There's been so much trouble with Ancestry that I'm trying to disassociate RootsMagic completely from them although I plan to continue using Ancestry as a research tool.

#93566 Order of events

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 14 April 2019 - 12:15 PM in Discussion

Use the "sort date" feature on the edit person screen to establish a date one day after the birth event.

#94325 Order of items in Media Album

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 01 July 2019 - 08:33 AM in Discussion

Got it! Thanks so much.

#94309 Order of items in Media Album

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 30 June 2019 - 11:51 AM in Discussion

Is there a way to sort or change the order of items in the Media album?

#93791 Installing & running RM from external hard drive

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 05 May 2019 - 01:37 PM in Discussion

In order to have the program run correctly from the external drive it would have to be installed in Windows anyway. Some program data (not your data) is held in the Windows registry and in C\Users\[your username]\Roaming. So you might as well have the program installed on your machines in its entirety and just move your data back and forth (or otherwise synchronize it).

Zhangrau is correct -- Windows is inflexible if it can't find what it expects.

There are some stand-alone programs (usually utilities like Autoruns.exe) which do not require Windows installation. RootsMagic to Go may partially do what you suggest (I'm not at all familiar with it), but I seem to remember that it doesn't provide the full RootsMagic facilities.

#93822 FGS 2019 in Washington, D.C.

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 07 May 2019 - 08:16 AM in General Messages

Will there be a demo or preview of Version 8?

#95624 Wish list, multiple synchronous access

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 08 October 2019 - 08:01 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

Thanks, Tom. And thanks so much for writing so many useful routines for the use of RM users.

#95613 Wish list, multiple synchronous access

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 07 October 2019 - 03:48 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

Is it expected that RM8 will also be SQLite based?

#91650 GEDCOM output

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 14 November 2018 - 10:04 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

RootsMagic's GEDCOM output meshes extremely well with John Cardinal's GedSite and GEDCOM Publisher software. The former uses the GEDCOM to build flexible and elegant web sites; the latter constructs e-books from the GEDCOM file.

There are two real improvements that could be made. A RootsMagic GEDCOM does not include witness sentences or sentences from the Alternate name tag. I hope that this can be remedied in Version Eight.

#91590 Demands registration key anew

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 06 November 2018 - 01:44 PM in Discussion

>>> I want somebody to answer the telephone. <<<

Yes, and I want to win the lottery and to see peace in the Middle East in my lifetime -- all just as likely. It must be a corollary of Murphy's Law that any paid activity that can be done by a machine will be.

#92932 Issue with linking some pictures to individual

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 14 February 2019 - 11:06 AM in Discussion

It's like Animal Farm: some jpgs are more equal than others. Try loading your recalcitrant jpg into an editor (perhaps Paint or Photoshop Elements) and save it out as a .jpg Try the saved file in RootsMagic. As Tom H suggested, .jpg files can be internally organized in several different ways.

#93450 Narrative reports.

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 02 April 2019 - 09:30 AM in Discussion

Instead of the period, would it be possible to use the old invisible non-breaking space? It may be Unicode (U+200B). I don't recollect the ASCII value, but I'm pretty sure there was one. This goes back to the glory days of WordPerfect.

#94063 Inaccurate Sorting of Estimated Dates - Sort is skewed

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 01 June 2019 - 09:16 PM in Issues

I too agree with Vyger's logic, but given that the user can set the sort date to the midpoint of two two end dates if desired, I wouldn't delay the release of RM8 by one microsecond for the proposed change.

Wherever the sort date is set, either by RM or by the user, the date itself will be displayed as entered.

In my own records (between 5800 and 5900 people, n=5851 :) ), a quick and dirty survey shows fewer than five "between x and y" sort dates which would materially affect the order of events in print reports or on my GedSite web site.

#92101 Can't search for Alternate Name tag

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 16 December 2018 - 09:26 AM in Issues

I would like to search for people for whom I've used the Alternate name tag, and preferably to be able to search for each of the the tag's variations: married, nickname, immigration. etc.

The find function for the person list doesn't seem to offer such searches. Is there a way to do this that I've missed? If not, the omission is Altername name from the find list would seem to be a programming omission.

#92121 Can't search for Alternate Name tag

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 17 December 2018 - 02:11 AM in Issues

I owe Kevin a vote of thanks for suggesting the list function which does some of what I need. And I agree with Tom and Vyger that the search & filter facility for alternate name tags by the listed types and also by no_type should be part of the basic program. I'll try to add a suitable request to the wish list tomorrow.

Thanks to all who responded.

Robert

#93795 How to record details of a person e.g. height

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 06 May 2019 - 09:31 AM in Discussion

I seem to have  "description" in my fact list, but I don't recollect whether it was built in or if I made it as a custom fact. Either way, you could use it and edit the sentence template to suit the information you hope to record.

The template in my machine is "[person] was described as [Desc]< [Date]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>."

#95421 Cleaning up TMG sources - post import

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 25 September 2019 - 12:47 PM in RootsMagic for Mac

I think the idea is that one would have a "source" -- say a book -- and that subsequent citations of it would only involve typing in a page number.That is, it was supposed to  be a time and effort saver. I fear that the source/citation bifurcation has mostly served to confuse thousands of people.

As I look at my own report footnotes I see that most of them can adequately guide researchers, but they are all higgledy-piggledy and inconsistent with one another.

#95442 Cleaning up TMG sources - post import

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 26 September 2019 - 07:31 AM in RootsMagic for Mac

I agree. I've thought -- going back to my TMG days -- that the distinction was artificial. It may have made more sense before Ancestry.com and other internet collections became the dominant research technique.

Similarly, while tracking repositories is suitable for identifying libraries, courthouses and the like, it doesn't really speak to the realities of internet research.

#95774 Family tree with everybody?

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 22 October 2019 - 11:19 AM in Discussion

Family Historian 6.2 offers a chart of "all ancestors and relatives" which might come closer to what you want than an ordinary hourglass chart.

#92262 RM User Conference

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 29 December 2018 - 05:25 PM in General Messages

What a good idea. I'd try to come. I would like to suggest that it be held in a place where there is a good genealogy library as well. Salt Lake City, Houston, Boston and New York come to mind immediately.

#94115 Best practice for documenting travel abroad

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 06 June 2019 - 08:01 AM in Discussion

I've sometimes used "Psgr List" and "Psgr List (fam)" for this purpose. My memory has become so bad that I don't recollect whether that's a custom fact or if it was built-in.