robertjacobs0's Content

There have been 52 items by robertjacobs0 (Search limited from 11-July 19)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#95744 First RM8 Blog Entry

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 19 October 2019 - 07:35 AM in Discussion

The sixth RM8 blog entry has been posted.  http://blog.rootsmagic.com/

Excellent news, especially including the unblocking of the main screen when editing screens(!) are open.

#95318 First RM8 Blog Entry

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 17 September 2019 - 07:33 AM in Discussion

I'm glad to learn that there will be words, and an option to abandon them and just show icons. However, my preference would be to bag the icons and just show text buttons. I hope it's not too late to offer this as an option. It should be a simple change.

I also hope it will be possible to show the icons/text horizontally at the top if the user so wishes.

#95554 First RM8 Blog Entry

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 04 October 2019 - 01:52 PM in Discussion

Isn't this a little silly? RootsMagic is castigated if they release nothing and again if they release some but not all, and still again if they don't adhere to a "schedule" established by the pace of their releases. They can't win.

That said, I've believed for years that software companies are insufficiently transparent regarding their plans. RootsMagic isn't alone in being secretive. It seems to be a shibboleth in the industry that disclosure will give competitors an advantage. Since that's the case, there little's point in inveighing against the practice and even less point in criticizing RM8 for its failings before we've seen it.

#96338 Narrative Reports with Media

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 08 January 2020 - 04:31 PM in Discussion

I hope I'm not missing the point here, but doesn't the media album/tools allow one to rearrange the order of exhibits? There's no need to delete and reinstall an item. GedSite seems to pick the exhibits up in the order one has prescribed.

#96342 Narrative Reports with Media

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 08 January 2020 - 10:08 PM in Discussion

On an Edit Person menu click Media, then on the Media Album click tools/Rearrange media items. There are move up, move down & sort by date buttons at the bottom.

#96150 Not admitting new members to Forums?

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 19 December 2019 - 11:30 AM in General Messages

I too much prefer the forums.

#96162 Not admitting new members to Forums?

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 20 December 2019 - 09:44 AM in General Messages

Would it be possible to authorize a willing enthusiast to filter and remove the spam?

It's not just that I abhor Facebook, it's a lot easier to read and follow technical discussions — and perhaps occasionally contribute — on the forum. And, as TomH has said, both images and the like/dislike feature can be authorized for the board.

#94670 TreeShare Freezes after recent Windows 10 MS update

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 07 August 2019 - 02:07 PM in Issues

Dear Rick,

I hope it isn't heresy to suggest that the best way to post your research on the web is to abandon Tree Share and use RootsMagic and GedSite together to put up the data in the form you prefer. Ancestry.com could still be used for research, of course. Ancestry Tree Share is rife with API problems, the necessity to bow to their formats, and constant repetitive web hints, many of which are duplicates, irrelevant, or just plain wrong.

It's only necessary to look at this forum's posts to see how much trouble Tree Share has caused and how much of your time and RM's time are wasted because of it.

#95442 Cleaning up TMG sources - post import

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 26 September 2019 - 07:31 AM in RootsMagic for Mac

I agree. I've thought -- going back to my TMG days -- that the distinction was artificial. It may have made more sense before Ancestry.com and other internet collections became the dominant research technique.

Similarly, while tracking repositories is suitable for identifying libraries, courthouses and the like, it doesn't really speak to the realities of internet research.

#95421 Cleaning up TMG sources - post import

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 25 September 2019 - 12:47 PM in RootsMagic for Mac

I think the idea is that one would have a "source" -- say a book -- and that subsequent citations of it would only involve typing in a page number.That is, it was supposed to  be a time and effort saver. I fear that the source/citation bifurcation has mostly served to confuse thousands of people.

As I look at my own report footnotes I see that most of them can adequately guide researchers, but they are all higgledy-piggledy and inconsistent with one another.

#95774 Family tree with everybody?

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 22 October 2019 - 11:19 AM in Discussion

Family Historian 6.2 offers a chart of "all ancestors and relatives" which might come closer to what you want than an ordinary hourglass chart.

#96460 My RM8 Checklist (so far)

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 25 January 2020 - 09:30 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

You might prefer a box chart: Reports/Charts/Box charts/Ancestors. You will have much more control of the output, format, etc.

#97416 Colour coding

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 31 May 2020 - 03:42 PM in Discussion

Color coding is a Godsend for those who have been married more than once!  :)

#97592 RootsMagic 8 Release Date

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 20 June 2020 - 12:39 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

I'd like to second this notion in the same spirit with which it was put forward. Silence and secrecy may be justified when a company is about to launch something that no one else has. But what would be wrong with:

We are rewriting the report formats

We hope to improve the search and indexing functions

We are establishing <[note]> for use in our sentence templates

None of those assertions can harm the company. Indeed, one could argue that user loyalty might be enhanced.

Finally, if RootsMagic isn't doing those things, it ought to.

#97625 RootsMagic 8 Release Date

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 24 June 2020 - 08:41 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

Renee, may we take it from your post that beta testing has actually begun?

#97628 RootsMagic 8 Release Date

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 24 June 2020 - 04:44 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

That's good news! If you randomly expand to me I'll do what I can to help.

#96731 How do I record a father who is disowned?

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 10 March 2020 - 03:54 PM in Discussion

Use the alternate name fact as needed and either modify the sentences or add notes as necessary (and discreet?)

#96709 RootsMagic in a virtual machine

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 08 March 2020 - 01:53 PM in Discussion

What would be the downside to running RM7 (RM8 soon, I hope) in a Windows virtual machine running under Linux? Would there be any reason to prefer Windows 10 to, say, Windows 7?

#96756 RootsMagic in a virtual machine

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 12 March 2020 - 04:59 PM in Discussion

Thanks, Keith. I'm having my semi-annual "abandon Microsoft" fit, and am thinking of limiting my Windows use to RM7 in a VM running under Linux. The project is probably an uneconomical use of time and effort, as I do have everything running very smoothly under Win10 Pro. If I go ahead I'll keep your advice in mind. Thanks again.

#96806 RootsMagic in a virtual machine

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 19 March 2020 - 08:23 AM in Discussion

Thanks, mjashby & bscott26. I'm in the throes of moving to a new house and can't undertake the project for another month or so, but will try RM7 under WINE as soon as I get the chance. I notice that neither of you mention Ubuntu. When I do undertake the conversion is there a distribution which you think preferable?

Thanks again.

Robert

#97244 Issue with new Crossover Wrapper

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 16 May 2020 - 09:45 AM in RootsMagic for Mac

Rooty, what evidence is there that "most mac users" have abandoned RM7? How can you know that? If you've abandoned RM7, why bother to post here at all? Trolling can hurt the company; that can hurt RootsMagic development, which ultimately hurts me.

FWIW, my opinion is that the development of most genealogy software has been substantially slowed by the rush to the cloud. Railing at RootsMagic won't accelerate the release of a native Mac version by one minute. I'm as impatient as you are, but I don't think that carping will help.

Robert

#97247 Issue with new Crossover Wrapper

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 16 May 2020 - 10:06 AM in RootsMagic for Mac

>>> I have seen more sunsets than are ahead for me. <<<

Likewise. RM8 — even if there were a few unsquashed bugs — can't come too soon for me.

I switched to RootsMagic when TMG support ended because I felt very strongly that when my children became responsible for maintaining the project that the availability of tech support would be important for them. I've never regretted the choice; the addition of John Cardinal's GedSite to my project has been an unexpected and welcome benefit. I'm hoping to have RM8 and GedSite working together smoothly before I hand over the reins.

Robert

#95624 Wish list, multiple synchronous access

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 08 October 2019 - 08:01 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

Thanks, Tom. And thanks so much for writing so many useful routines for the use of RM users.

#95613 Wish list, multiple synchronous access

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 07 October 2019 - 03:48 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

Is it expected that RM8 will also be SQLite based?

#97296 Married Women in RM8

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 18 May 2020 - 10:20 PM in Discussion

When I don't know a woman's birth name I've found it useful to use her spouses surname surrounded by square brackets and to add "Mrs." in the prefix field. I also add an alt married name, using the husband's surname in the surname field. The bracketed names all sort together at the beginning of the RM index list whicxh is convenient for research purposes  and the alt married name sorts alphabetically in the normal parts of the index.

This practice works very well with GedSite. See the index tab of my web site at https://genarchives....ns/up/index.htm.