robertjacobs0's Content

There have been 55 items by robertjacobs0 (Search limited from 08-December 18)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#95058 7.6.1 freeze

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 30 August 2019 - 11:53 AM in Issues

I open RootsMagic 7.6.1, go to Tools/File Options/Ancestry and click on "Disconnect from Ancestry tree." RootsMagic locks up and I have to use the Task Manager to exit. The task manager reports "RootsMagic not responding." I'm actually not sure whether the Ancestry Tree is actually linked or not.

There's been so much trouble with Ancestry that I'm trying to disassociate RootsMagic completely from them although I plan to continue using Ancestry as a research tool.

#92308 Any news on RM 8 complete rewrite?

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 02 January 2019 - 02:10 PM in Discussion

She probably entered the RM8 key code accidentally. There should also be an RM7 key code.

#94115 Best practice for documenting travel abroad

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 06 June 2019 - 08:01 AM in Discussion

I've sometimes used "Psgr List" and "Psgr List (fam)" for this purpose. My memory has become so bad that I don't recollect whether that's a custom fact or if it was built-in.

#91843 Bulk Importing Sources From FamilySearch

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 01 December 2018 - 12:33 PM in FamilySearch Family Tree

Tex LKarence wrote: "This is what ticks me off about Ancestry.com. Even if your brother sits at a computer next to you, and he puts your mother into his tree then you also have to put your mother into your tree."

But suppose it's not your brother, but some semi-literate whose research is sloppy, who is prone to jumping to conclusions, who doesn't bother to provide evidence, and who is often in error, but never in doubt? We've all seen them in Ancestry.com and Family Search histories.

#91842 can't make a backup

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 01 December 2018 - 12:26 PM in Discussion

Are you certain that only one copy of RootsMagic is open?

#91861 can't make a backup

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 02 December 2018 - 09:01 AM in Discussion

kbenson wrote "I ~believe~ robertacobs0 really meant more than one copy of the database being open at the same time (one cannot run more than one copy of Rootsmagic itself)"

Mea culpa -- thanks for straightening that out.

#92121 Can't search for Alternate Name tag

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 17 December 2018 - 02:11 AM in Issues

I owe Kevin a vote of thanks for suggesting the list function which does some of what I need. And I agree with Tom and Vyger that the search & filter facility for alternate name tags by the listed types and also by no_type should be part of the basic program. I'll try to add a suitable request to the wish list tomorrow.

Thanks to all who responded.

Robert

#92101 Can't search for Alternate Name tag

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 16 December 2018 - 09:26 AM in Issues

I would like to search for people for whom I've used the Alternate name tag, and preferably to be able to search for each of the the tag's variations: married, nickname, immigration. etc.

The find function for the person list doesn't seem to offer such searches. Is there a way to do this that I've missed? If not, the omission is Altername name from the find list would seem to be a programming omission.

#92899 cant find RootsMagic.exe on E:\

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 11 February 2019 - 11:59 PM in Discussion

Windows may have assigned a different drive letter to the pen drive in the other laptop(s). If you press Windows-key-X you can select "disk management" which will allow you to reset drive letters.The settings are usually persistent, but there are a variety of things which can make them change.

#95772 Cascade lastname change

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 22 October 2019 - 11:14 AM in Discussion

You can use search and replace for surnames. Once the screen opens, you can choose between "replace" and "replace all." "Replace all"  obviously isn't suitable in this case because you evidently have people who kept the original surname.

Unless you have a very large number of people to screen, search & replace is still probably your best bet. RootsMagic won't, AFAIK, descend the ladder.

Another option would be to make a named group consisting of the person who changed the name and all of his descendants. You could export the named group to a new database, make the change globally (i.e., "replace all"), import the people back into the main database and use the merge function to make it all coherent again. The first method looks better to me.

#91793 Changing spouse order

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 27 November 2018 - 10:23 PM in Discussion

1. The GedSite problem  with family order has been fixed; I was mistakenly using a beta version and incorrectly assumed a bug in the release version.

2. I thank cvernons for pointing out the Spouses & Parents buttons in RM7 which I am ashamed to admit I never noticed before this evening.

#91471 Character set compatability RM7 & TNG

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 26 October 2018 - 08:52 AM in Issues

I'm not sure that the Notepad save option is going to do anything useful. Does it even recognise that the GEDCOM is UTF-8? It is in plain text with a tag:

1 CHAR UTF-8

The Notepad trick worked with TMG -- I no longer recollect whether it was an import or export which was giving the problem. It's true that the Notepad save won't change the CHAR designation in the GEDCOM, but that can be done manually if necessary.

I'm pretty sure that Notepad will save in the designated character set, whatever the state of the input file.

#91446 Character set compatability RM7 & TNG

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 24 October 2018 - 02:31 PM in Issues

A GEDCOM can be edited to change the character encoding. RM7 seems to export in UTF-8. If TNG wants something else, open the GEDCOM in Notepad, click file/save as. At the bottom of the save dialog you'll see a button which offers UTF-8, ANSI, Unicode and Unicode big endian. Choose your poison and save, either with the existing file name or a new one. Your data will be unaffected.

If I were guessing, I'd try Unicode first.

#92872 Christening gets included as a "Basic Event" when printing Family Gro...

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 08 February 2019 - 12:31 PM in Discussion

Is there an SQL query that will add an empty birth event to any person who doesn't have one? That might be a handy addition to the RM tools.

#95421 Cleaning up TMG sources - post import

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 25 September 2019 - 12:47 PM in RootsMagic for Mac

I think the idea is that one would have a "source" -- say a book -- and that subsequent citations of it would only involve typing in a page number.That is, it was supposed to  be a time and effort saver. I fear that the source/citation bifurcation has mostly served to confuse thousands of people.

As I look at my own report footnotes I see that most of them can adequately guide researchers, but they are all higgledy-piggledy and inconsistent with one another.

#95442 Cleaning up TMG sources - post import

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 26 September 2019 - 07:31 AM in RootsMagic for Mac

I agree. I've thought -- going back to my TMG days -- that the distinction was artificial. It may have made more sense before Ancestry.com and other internet collections became the dominant research technique.

Similarly, while tracking repositories is suitable for identifying libraries, courthouses and the like, it doesn't really speak to the realities of internet research.

#93834 Convict indents

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 08 May 2019 - 07:46 PM in Sentence and Source Templates

What is a "convict ident?"

#91590 Demands registration key anew

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 06 November 2018 - 01:44 PM in Discussion

>>> I want somebody to answer the telephone. <<<

Yes, and I want to win the lottery and to see peace in the Middle East in my lifetime -- all just as likely. It must be a corollary of Murphy's Law that any paid activity that can be done by a machine will be.

#93747 Ellis Island & New York Place Details

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 29 April 2019 - 04:38 PM in Discussion

I have dozens,if not hundreds, of Ellis Island immigrants in my data. I list the place as New York City or New York, New York depending on how I want the narrative reports to read. As with Brooklyn, which once had a separate corporate existence, but is now a "borough," or Kings County, there's little chance that any ambiguity will muddy the fact of the actual location of an event.

When the Dodgers left in 1957, Brooklyn is the place where baseball in America died. I record it as "Brooklyn, New York."

#95774 Family tree with everybody?

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 22 October 2019 - 11:19 AM in Discussion

Family Historian 6.2 offers a chart of "all ancestors and relatives" which might come closer to what you want than an ordinary hourglass chart.

#93822 FGS 2019 in Washington, D.C.

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 07 May 2019 - 08:16 AM in General Messages

Will there be a demo or preview of Version 8?

#95744 First RM8 Blog Entry

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 19 October 2019 - 07:35 AM in Discussion

The sixth RM8 blog entry has been posted.  http://blog.rootsmagic.com/

Excellent news, especially including the unblocking of the main screen when editing screens(!) are open.

#95554 First RM8 Blog Entry

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 04 October 2019 - 01:52 PM in Discussion

Isn't this a little silly? RootsMagic is castigated if they release nothing and again if they release some but not all, and still again if they don't adhere to a "schedule" established by the pace of their releases. They can't win.

That said, I've believed for years that software companies are insufficiently transparent regarding their plans. RootsMagic isn't alone in being secretive. It seems to be a shibboleth in the industry that disclosure will give competitors an advantage. Since that's the case, there little's point in inveighing against the practice and even less point in criticizing RM8 for its failings before we've seen it.

#95318 First RM8 Blog Entry

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 17 September 2019 - 07:33 AM in Discussion

I'm glad to learn that there will be words, and an option to abandon them and just show icons. However, my preference would be to bag the icons and just show text buttons. I hope it's not too late to offer this as an option. It should be a simple change.

I also hope it will be possible to show the icons/text horizontally at the top if the user so wishes.

#91650 GEDCOM output

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 14 November 2018 - 10:04 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

RootsMagic's GEDCOM output meshes extremely well with John Cardinal's GedSite and GEDCOM Publisher software. The former uses the GEDCOM to build flexible and elegant web sites; the latter constructs e-books from the GEDCOM file.

There are two real improvements that could be made. A RootsMagic GEDCOM does not include witness sentences or sentences from the Alternate name tag. I hope that this can be remedied in Version Eight.