robertjacobs0's Content

There have been 62 items by robertjacobs0 (Search limited from 22-October 19)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#96456 Who Was There list

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 24 January 2020 - 02:00 PM in Issues

I had occasion to invoke the Who Was There List report this morning, I think for the first time. I wanted to know who was in Kansas from 1880 to 1890. The report spat out the Kansas events — and also Arkansas events. I can see how this happened and why the search may have produced it. I'm wondering if there's any way to avoid it.

#96467 Who Was There list

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 27 January 2020 - 10:46 AM in Issues

Thanks, TFTMTeutoppil. As I told Renee, it's only a minor annoyance and the report is more for research purposes than display or publication.

#96471 Who Was There list

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 29 January 2020 - 07:49 AM in Issues

I'll try that. Thans, Renee.

#96466 Who Was There list

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 27 January 2020 - 10:42 AM in Issues

Thanks, Renee.

No. Would it help if they were? I would prefer not to affect the format of places as I've entered them on event tags. It really isn't terribly important -- just a minor annoyance, easily coped with.

#97245 UNICODE vs. UTF-8 vs. RootsMagic

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 16 May 2020 - 09:51 AM in Discussion

Google translate turns "Jerry" into "Gary," but the sentiment is right.

#96698 Suddenly, I can't paste text to a Note

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 05 March 2020 - 12:05 PM in Issues

This may be unlikely, but I know (to my occasional sorrow) that some gaming keyboards have a switch which disables some of the Windows editing functions.

#96847 Searching for places

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 25 March 2020 - 08:22 AM in Discussion

Go to the place list and highllght the incorrect place. Click "print," then "generate report." That should do it.

#96855 Searching for places

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 26 March 2020 - 07:54 AM in Discussion

It's hardly intuitive. I've often thought the term "print" on the place list should have been "report" or some such.

#97700 Running RM7 against a production database and a test database

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 12 July 2020 - 11:01 PM in Discussion

Why not just make multiple backups of your production material, restoring as necessary when an experiment doesn't work? There might be less to keep track of, esp if your exhibits inhabit a complex folder/subfolder system?

#96806 RootsMagic in a virtual machine

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 19 March 2020 - 08:23 AM in Discussion

Thanks, mjashby & bscott26. I'm in the throes of moving to a new house and can't undertake the project for another month or so, but will try RM7 under WINE as soon as I get the chance. I notice that neither of you mention Ubuntu. When I do undertake the conversion is there a distribution which you think preferable?

Thanks again.

Robert

#96709 RootsMagic in a virtual machine

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 08 March 2020 - 01:53 PM in Discussion

What would be the downside to running RM7 (RM8 soon, I hope) in a Windows virtual machine running under Linux? Would there be any reason to prefer Windows 10 to, say, Windows 7?

#96756 RootsMagic in a virtual machine

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 12 March 2020 - 04:59 PM in Discussion

Thanks, Keith. I'm having my semi-annual "abandon Microsoft" fit, and am thinking of limiting my Windows use to RM7 in a VM running under Linux. The project is probably an uneconomical use of time and effort, as I do have everything running very smoothly under Win10 Pro. If I go ahead I'll keep your advice in mind. Thanks again.

#97592 RootsMagic 8 Release Date

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 20 June 2020 - 12:39 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

I'd like to second this notion in the same spirit with which it was put forward. Silence and secrecy may be justified when a company is about to launch something that no one else has. But what would be wrong with:

We are rewriting the report formats

We hope to improve the search and indexing functions

We are establishing <[note]> for use in our sentence templates

None of those assertions can harm the company. Indeed, one could argue that user loyalty might be enhanced.

Finally, if RootsMagic isn't doing those things, it ought to.

#97625 RootsMagic 8 Release Date

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 24 June 2020 - 08:41 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

Renee, may we take it from your post that beta testing has actually begun?

#97628 RootsMagic 8 Release Date

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 24 June 2020 - 04:44 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

That's good news! If you randomly expand to me I'll do what I can to help.

#98034 RM8 Search Suggestion

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 29 August 2020 - 07:59 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

This is a good idea. German, French and Spanish months would be an excellent start — a great time-saver for me and probably for many others.

#98044 RM8 Search Suggestion

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 29 August 2020 - 04:11 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

I assumed that RM doesn't store the alpha month names. I took a quick look at the event and multimedia tables; the dates are all stored numerically. Somewhere in RootsMagic is a table translating the month name into those numbers. What I had in mind was that Janvier and Enero as well as January be assigned the appropriate numerical value. That shouldn't be too hard to implement.

#98175 Recording boarding students in Census fact types

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 18 September 2020 - 02:45 PM in Discussion

I agree with Don. Shared facts save a lot of duplication and make it much easier to prepare graceful narrative reports. They also work well with GedSite, an important consideration for me.

GEDCOM non-adherence isn't important to me. I prefer to work with one program. My need for any of the facilities of Family Historian or Legacy is minimal. If I ever do need to make a full conversion I think there are already a couple of SQL routines which will ease the process.Cancel

#98221 Problem with source templates

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 23 September 2020 - 04:02 PM in Discussion

Thanks so much, Jerry and Bob.

I just ran Jerry's source template script and found to my astonishment that all but four of the _TMG_ templates had been used at least once. Fifteen of them had been used only once. Those probably represent my earliest entered sources and the ones most in need of revision and replacement.

I wish I'd known more about all of this twenty years ago when I started in, first with Ultimate Family Tree, and then with TMG.

#98216 Problem with source templates

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 23 September 2020 - 11:35 AM in Discussion

Thanks, Jerry. It seems a tedious process from within RM7. Is there a suitable SQL script? I know how to look at the tables and run SQL scripts using SQLite expert, but I haven't constructed any programs. If I knew that RM8 would provide an easy way to do this I would wait, but part of the purpose of this clean-up is to deliver a nice clean database for the RM8 conversion when it comes.

#98217 Problem with source templates

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 23 September 2020 - 12:14 PM in Discussion

Lists>Source Lists>Select your source>Print will show everyone that has that source attached.

Thanks, Bob. That's useful, but the underlying problem is to find out which source templates are in use. Multiple sources can use the same template; if I want to convert them to use RM7 templates or even to delete the unused TMG templates it seems I have to do it manually, source by source if I am to remain within the confines of RM7.

#98210 Problem with source templates

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 23 September 2020 - 09:17 AM in Discussion

When I converted from TMG to RM6 perhaps seven or eight years ago, the conversion brought a great many TMG source templates into RootsMagic. They appear in the source template list prefixed by _TMG_. I'm now in the process of trying to rationalize my sources and citations, which quite frankly, are all higgledy-piggledy. Part of the project is to delete unused TMG sources templates. (I'm up to RM7, the latest)

Whenever I attempt to delete one I get a warning that it is in use & that any sources of its type will be removed from the database. I know that some of them were never used but there's doubt about  many others. How can I find out whether they have or have not been used?

I understand that if I delete a template the sources of its type will be deleted. What happens to citations which utilized those sources?

#98097 Place Name

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 03 September 2020 - 01:47 PM in Discussion

You can make changes to place names from the place list (Lists/Place list). Different spelling & formats can merged  to a single correct one on the place list. The place names in individual fact entries will then be modified accordingly.

#96162 Not admitting new members to Forums?

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 20 December 2019 - 09:44 AM in General Messages

Would it be possible to authorize a willing enthusiast to filter and remove the spam?

It's not just that I abhor Facebook, it's a lot easier to read and follow technical discussions — and perhaps occasionally contribute — on the forum. And, as TomH has said, both images and the like/dislike feature can be authorized for the board.

#96150 Not admitting new members to Forums?

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 19 December 2019 - 11:30 AM in General Messages

I too much prefer the forums.