robertjacobs0's Content

There have been 66 items by robertjacobs0 (Search limited from 27-November 19)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#96342 Narrative Reports with Media

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 08 January 2020 - 10:08 PM in Discussion

On an Edit Person menu click Media, then on the Media Album click tools/Rearrange media items. There are move up, move down & sort by date buttons at the bottom.

#96338 Narrative Reports with Media

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 08 January 2020 - 04:31 PM in Discussion

I hope I'm not missing the point here, but doesn't the media album/tools allow one to rearrange the order of exhibits? There's no need to delete and reinstall an item. GedSite seems to pick the exhibits up in the order one has prescribed.

#96150 Not admitting new members to Forums?

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 19 December 2019 - 11:30 AM in General Messages

I too much prefer the forums.

#96162 Not admitting new members to Forums?

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 20 December 2019 - 09:44 AM in General Messages

Would it be possible to authorize a willing enthusiast to filter and remove the spam?

It's not just that I abhor Facebook, it's a lot easier to read and follow technical discussions — and perhaps occasionally contribute — on the forum. And, as TomH has said, both images and the like/dislike feature can be authorized for the board.

#97628 RootsMagic 8 Release Date

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 24 June 2020 - 04:44 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

That's good news! If you randomly expand to me I'll do what I can to help.

#98277 Has the forum been closed?

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 09 October 2020 - 01:32 PM in Discussion

Nothing for a few days, and a post I thought I'd put up in "Issues" seems to have disappeared. Anyone home?

#98285 Has the forum been closed?

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 10 October 2020 - 12:26 PM in Discussion

FWIW I too detest Facebook and hope that this forum continues to flourish.

#97592 RootsMagic 8 Release Date

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 20 June 2020 - 12:39 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

I'd like to second this notion in the same spirit with which it was put forward. Silence and secrecy may be justified when a company is about to launch something that no one else has. But what would be wrong with:

We are rewriting the report formats

We hope to improve the search and indexing functions

We are establishing <[note]> for use in our sentence templates

None of those assertions can harm the company. Indeed, one could argue that user loyalty might be enhanced.

Finally, if RootsMagic isn't doing those things, it ought to.

#98279 Has the forum been closed?

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 09 October 2020 - 08:56 PM in Discussion

#97625 RootsMagic 8 Release Date

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 24 June 2020 - 08:41 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

Renee, may we take it from your post that beta testing has actually begun?

#97728 New Pargraph in narrative reports.

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 15 July 2020 - 11:47 AM in Discussion

Alt-0182 will enter the pilcrow in an RM sentence template, but LibreOffice, at least, doesn't operationalize it. But I would think (haven't tried it) that a search & replace in Word would enable one to substitute a working paragraph marker for the pilcrow.

¶  :)

#96731 How do I record a father who is disowned?

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 10 March 2020 - 03:54 PM in Discussion

Use the alternate name fact as needed and either modify the sentences or add notes as necessary (and discreet?)

#98335 where to put a life history

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 23 October 2020 - 05:12 PM in Discussion

You could also transcribe it and add it as a note or biography to her "edit person" sheet. I have "biography" as a fact, but I cannot recollect whether it was native to RM7 or if I added it myself.

#98044 RM8 Search Suggestion

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 29 August 2020 - 04:11 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

I assumed that RM doesn't store the alpha month names. I took a quick look at the event and multimedia tables; the dates are all stored numerically. Somewhere in RootsMagic is a table translating the month name into those numbers. What I had in mind was that Janvier and Enero as well as January be assigned the appropriate numerical value. That shouldn't be too hard to implement.

#98034 RM8 Search Suggestion

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 29 August 2020 - 07:59 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

This is a good idea. German, French and Spanish months would be an excellent start — a great time-saver for me and probably for many others.

#98217 Problem with source templates

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 23 September 2020 - 12:14 PM in Discussion

Lists>Source Lists>Select your source>Print will show everyone that has that source attached.

Thanks, Bob. That's useful, but the underlying problem is to find out which source templates are in use. Multiple sources can use the same template; if I want to convert them to use RM7 templates or even to delete the unused TMG templates it seems I have to do it manually, source by source if I am to remain within the confines of RM7.

#96806 RootsMagic in a virtual machine

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 19 March 2020 - 08:23 AM in Discussion

Thanks, mjashby & bscott26. I'm in the throes of moving to a new house and can't undertake the project for another month or so, but will try RM7 under WINE as soon as I get the chance. I notice that neither of you mention Ubuntu. When I do undertake the conversion is there a distribution which you think preferable?

Thanks again.

Robert

#98216 Problem with source templates

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 23 September 2020 - 11:35 AM in Discussion

Thanks, Jerry. It seems a tedious process from within RM7. Is there a suitable SQL script? I know how to look at the tables and run SQL scripts using SQLite expert, but I haven't constructed any programs. If I knew that RM8 would provide an easy way to do this I would wait, but part of the purpose of this clean-up is to deliver a nice clean database for the RM8 conversion when it comes.

#96756 RootsMagic in a virtual machine

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 12 March 2020 - 04:59 PM in Discussion

Thanks, Keith. I'm having my semi-annual "abandon Microsoft" fit, and am thinking of limiting my Windows use to RM7 in a VM running under Linux. The project is probably an uneconomical use of time and effort, as I do have everything running very smoothly under Win10 Pro. If I go ahead I'll keep your advice in mind. Thanks again.

#98175 Recording boarding students in Census fact types

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 18 September 2020 - 02:45 PM in Discussion

I agree with Don. Shared facts save a lot of duplication and make it much easier to prepare graceful narrative reports. They also work well with GedSite, an important consideration for me.

GEDCOM non-adherence isn't important to me. I prefer to work with one program. My need for any of the facilities of Family Historian or Legacy is minimal. If I ever do need to make a full conversion I think there are already a couple of SQL routines which will ease the process.Cancel

#97296 Married Women in RM8

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 18 May 2020 - 10:20 PM in Discussion

When I don't know a woman's birth name I've found it useful to use her spouses surname surrounded by square brackets and to add "Mrs." in the prefix field. I also add an alt married name, using the husband's surname in the surname field. The bracketed names all sort together at the beginning of the RM index list whicxh is convenient for research purposes  and the alt married name sorts alphabetically in the normal parts of the index.

This practice works very well with GedSite. See the index tab of my web site at https://genarchives....ns/up/index.htm.

#97247 Issue with new Crossover Wrapper

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 16 May 2020 - 10:06 AM in RootsMagic for Mac

>>> I have seen more sunsets than are ahead for me. <<<

Likewise. RM8 — even if there were a few unsquashed bugs — can't come too soon for me.

I switched to RootsMagic when TMG support ended because I felt very strongly that when my children became responsible for maintaining the project that the availability of tech support would be important for them. I've never regretted the choice; the addition of John Cardinal's GedSite to my project has been an unexpected and welcome benefit. I'm hoping to have RM8 and GedSite working together smoothly before I hand over the reins.

Robert

#97244 Issue with new Crossover Wrapper

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 16 May 2020 - 09:45 AM in RootsMagic for Mac

Rooty, what evidence is there that "most mac users" have abandoned RM7? How can you know that? If you've abandoned RM7, why bother to post here at all? Trolling can hurt the company; that can hurt RootsMagic development, which ultimately hurts me.

FWIW, my opinion is that the development of most genealogy software has been substantially slowed by the rush to the cloud. Railing at RootsMagic won't accelerate the release of a native Mac version by one minute. I'm as impatient as you are, but I don't think that carping will help.

Robert

#97335 Married Women in RM8

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 25 May 2020 - 11:55 AM in Discussion

Thanks, Don. I'm glad to learn that the practice is useful to others. Although I don't recall clearly, I may even have gotten the idea from the earlier posts you mention.  As I remarked in my earlier post, the square bracket scheme plays especially well with GedSite.

— Robert

#98210 Problem with source templates

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 23 September 2020 - 09:17 AM in Discussion

When I converted from TMG to RM6 perhaps seven or eight years ago, the conversion brought a great many TMG source templates into RootsMagic. They appear in the source template list prefixed by _TMG_. I'm now in the process of trying to rationalize my sources and citations, which quite frankly, are all higgledy-piggledy. Part of the project is to delete unused TMG sources templates. (I'm up to RM7, the latest)

Whenever I attempt to delete one I get a warning that it is in use & that any sources of its type will be removed from the database. I know that some of them were never used but there's doubt about  many others. How can I find out whether they have or have not been used?

I understand that if I delete a template the sources of its type will be deleted. What happens to citations which utilized those sources?