robertjacobs0's Content

There have been 66 items by robertjacobs0 (Search limited from 27-November 19)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#98537 Possible bug in opening edit screen

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 22 November 2020 - 09:26 AM in Issues

Thank you, Kevin. You've established that it's working as designed.

I wonder whether it couldn't have been designed so that one could open the edit screen from either the index or the main screen view. I don't see a downside to that offhand — and it would certainly have been useful for a long tedious exhibit filename changing operation I'm having to conduct just now.

#98530 Possible bug in opening edit screen

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 21 November 2020 - 04:41 PM in Issues

1. Set the left hand column to "Index"

2. Select the "People" view on the main screen and choose a named group to display. Click on any member of the group.

3. Return to the index and double-click on any person who is NOT part of the named group.

The edit screen which opens is not the person on whom you double-clicked but the person worked on in the named group.

I think this is a bug; one should be able to open the edit screen of the person selected from the index.

#98519 RM Locking Up After Accessing FamilySearch

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 19 November 2020 - 08:07 AM in Issues

This may be a Windows problem rather than a RootsMagic problem. I've seen other programs lock up when an internet connection stalls. IIRC, the problem existed as far back as Windows Vista and can still bedevil one in Windows 10 (my present version). Task Manager won't always release the machine — on a few (rare) occasions I've had to reboot completely.

#98473 Sort by existence of media

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 14 November 2020 - 12:26 PM in Discussion

Bless you. Of course I hadn't — I've been using RootsMagic since Version 6 and you'd think I'd have learned it by now. That's exactly what I need. Thanks so much.

Robert

#98470 Sort by existence of media

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 14 November 2020 - 10:55 AM in Discussion

I have a largish named group of people. Some have exhibits attached, some do not. I would like to make of list of those that do. I'd appreciate any suggestions for how to go about this.

Thanks!

#98421 Merging Place Details ..

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 08 November 2020 - 05:17 PM in Discussion

If I correctly understand what you need, the answer is yes. You can do it from Lists/Place List. You should be able to find all  three versions. Choose the one that's closest to what you finally hope for,  highlight it, and merge the other two into it. Then edit the result.

I would separate the cemetery name into "place details," but I believe there are several members of this list who don't care for the place details feature. You may hear from them as this post is read more widely. I don't recollect the details of the discussion.

#98335 where to put a life history

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 23 October 2020 - 05:12 PM in Discussion

You could also transcribe it and add it as a note or biography to her "edit person" sheet. I have "biography" as a fact, but I cannot recollect whether it was native to RM7 or if I added it myself.

#98285 Has the forum been closed?

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 10 October 2020 - 12:26 PM in Discussion

FWIW I too detest Facebook and hope that this forum continues to flourish.

#98279 Has the forum been closed?

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 09 October 2020 - 08:56 PM in Discussion

#98277 Has the forum been closed?

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 09 October 2020 - 01:32 PM in Discussion

Nothing for a few days, and a post I thought I'd put up in "Issues" seems to have disappeared. Anyone home?

#98243 Need abbreviated place names in GEDCOM

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 30 September 2020 - 02:50 PM in Issues

The RM short place name problem is that the reporting program — in this case GedSite — is that it cannot know from the standard place name (e.g., Bronx, Bronx County, New York, United States) how the short name has been defined by the RootsMagic user. That's why it would be so helpful for RM to output the short name in its GEDCOMS when the short name exists. There are too many possibilities: Bronx, New York; the Bronx; Bronx, NY, USA . . . etc.

In general, if I may say so, I do not think that a "standard" can be devised which will accommodate all the vagaries of human taste and experience. Of the genealogical programs I've used (UFT, TMG, RootsMagic), TMG seemed to me to offer the most powerful means of standardizing place names. The next step up would have been free-form. That's all very well within one program, but the moment one expects some other program to interpret free-form transfers accurately, one is in for trouble.

If free-form is the "standard" one may as well use a typewriter as a computer.

#98237 Need abbreviated place names in GEDCOM

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 30 September 2020 - 11:57 AM in Issues

Exactly. As I understand it, RM7 is already putting non-standard entries into its GEDCOMs when the "RM specific details" box is checked on the GEDCOM output screen. John Cardinal's GedSite program utilizes them extensively. The addition I am suggesting will make it easier to prepare smooth narratives in GedSite, GedSite Publisher, and possibly in other programs still to come.

#98235 Need abbreviated place names in GEDCOM

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 30 September 2020 - 10:15 AM in Issues

For those of us who use the RM specific details in RootsMagic's GEDCOM output, it would be a great help if RootsMagic GEDCOMs would output the user-selected abbreviated place names when they exist.

External programs could then successfully use sentence templates such as "[person:given:surname] was born<? [Date]| [date]| on an unknown date>< at [PlaceDetails:plain]>< in [Place:plain:short]>" to make smoother narratives.

A change like this should require only very minimal programming changes and would be a great blessing, at least for me.

#98221 Problem with source templates

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 23 September 2020 - 04:02 PM in Discussion

Thanks so much, Jerry and Bob.

I just ran Jerry's source template script and found to my astonishment that all but four of the _TMG_ templates had been used at least once. Fifteen of them had been used only once. Those probably represent my earliest entered sources and the ones most in need of revision and replacement.

I wish I'd known more about all of this twenty years ago when I started in, first with Ultimate Family Tree, and then with TMG.

#98217 Problem with source templates

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 23 September 2020 - 12:14 PM in Discussion

Lists>Source Lists>Select your source>Print will show everyone that has that source attached.

Thanks, Bob. That's useful, but the underlying problem is to find out which source templates are in use. Multiple sources can use the same template; if I want to convert them to use RM7 templates or even to delete the unused TMG templates it seems I have to do it manually, source by source if I am to remain within the confines of RM7.

#98216 Problem with source templates

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 23 September 2020 - 11:35 AM in Discussion

Thanks, Jerry. It seems a tedious process from within RM7. Is there a suitable SQL script? I know how to look at the tables and run SQL scripts using SQLite expert, but I haven't constructed any programs. If I knew that RM8 would provide an easy way to do this I would wait, but part of the purpose of this clean-up is to deliver a nice clean database for the RM8 conversion when it comes.

#98210 Problem with source templates

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 23 September 2020 - 09:17 AM in Discussion

When I converted from TMG to RM6 perhaps seven or eight years ago, the conversion brought a great many TMG source templates into RootsMagic. They appear in the source template list prefixed by _TMG_. I'm now in the process of trying to rationalize my sources and citations, which quite frankly, are all higgledy-piggledy. Part of the project is to delete unused TMG sources templates. (I'm up to RM7, the latest)

Whenever I attempt to delete one I get a warning that it is in use & that any sources of its type will be removed from the database. I know that some of them were never used but there's doubt about  many others. How can I find out whether they have or have not been used?

I understand that if I delete a template the sources of its type will be deleted. What happens to citations which utilized those sources?

#98175 Recording boarding students in Census fact types

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 18 September 2020 - 02:45 PM in Discussion

I agree with Don. Shared facts save a lot of duplication and make it much easier to prepare graceful narrative reports. They also work well with GedSite, an important consideration for me.

GEDCOM non-adherence isn't important to me. I prefer to work with one program. My need for any of the facilities of Family Historian or Legacy is minimal. If I ever do need to make a full conversion I think there are already a couple of SQL routines which will ease the process.Cancel

#98097 Place Name

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 03 September 2020 - 01:47 PM in Discussion

You can make changes to place names from the place list (Lists/Place list). Different spelling & formats can merged  to a single correct one on the place list. The place names in individual fact entries will then be modified accordingly.

#98052 Civil War Roster Notation

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 30 August 2020 - 07:38 AM in Discussion

Although many were pardoned by Lincoln, "deserters" were shot. The term meant what it does today.

#98049 Civil War Roster Notation

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 30 August 2020 - 07:36 AM in Discussion

That happened a lot. Most of the serious histories of the war remark on it.

#98044 RM8 Search Suggestion

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 29 August 2020 - 04:11 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

I assumed that RM doesn't store the alpha month names. I took a quick look at the event and multimedia tables; the dates are all stored numerically. Somewhere in RootsMagic is a table translating the month name into those numbers. What I had in mind was that Janvier and Enero as well as January be assigned the appropriate numerical value. That shouldn't be too hard to implement.

#98034 RM8 Search Suggestion

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 29 August 2020 - 07:59 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

This is a good idea. German, French and Spanish months would be an excellent start — a great time-saver for me and probably for many others.

#97986 Language issue when using RootsMagic with FamilySearch

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 23 August 2020 - 08:30 AM in Discussion

Unfortunately neither "search & replace" nor "find everywhere" look at the date field. You may have to do the translations one by one. Can you give an example of the FS format that doesn't convert to a regularly formatted date?

#97833 My RM database has 2 families with the same parents

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 31 July 2020 - 06:11 PM in Discussion

Try the merge function; you may have to do it twice, once for each spouse. Tools/Merge/Manual merge