robertjacobs0's Content

There have been 66 items by robertjacobs0 (Search limited from 29-November 19)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#96855 Searching for places

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 26 March 2020 - 07:54 AM in Discussion

It's hardly intuitive. I've often thought the term "print" on the place list should have been "report" or some such.

#96847 Searching for places

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 25 March 2020 - 08:22 AM in Discussion

Go to the place list and highllght the incorrect place. Click "print," then "generate report." That should do it.

#96806 RootsMagic in a virtual machine

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 19 March 2020 - 08:23 AM in Discussion

Thanks, mjashby & bscott26. I'm in the throes of moving to a new house and can't undertake the project for another month or so, but will try RM7 under WINE as soon as I get the chance. I notice that neither of you mention Ubuntu. When I do undertake the conversion is there a distribution which you think preferable?

Thanks again.

Robert

#96756 RootsMagic in a virtual machine

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 12 March 2020 - 04:59 PM in Discussion

Thanks, Keith. I'm having my semi-annual "abandon Microsoft" fit, and am thinking of limiting my Windows use to RM7 in a VM running under Linux. The project is probably an uneconomical use of time and effort, as I do have everything running very smoothly under Win10 Pro. If I go ahead I'll keep your advice in mind. Thanks again.

#96731 How do I record a father who is disowned?

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 10 March 2020 - 03:54 PM in Discussion

Use the alternate name fact as needed and either modify the sentences or add notes as necessary (and discreet?)

#96709 RootsMagic in a virtual machine

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 08 March 2020 - 01:53 PM in Discussion

What would be the downside to running RM7 (RM8 soon, I hope) in a Windows virtual machine running under Linux? Would there be any reason to prefer Windows 10 to, say, Windows 7?

#96698 Suddenly, I can't paste text to a Note

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 05 March 2020 - 12:05 PM in Issues

This may be unlikely, but I know (to my occasional sorrow) that some gaming keyboards have a switch which disables some of the Windows editing functions.

#96471 Who Was There list

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 29 January 2020 - 07:49 AM in Issues

I'll try that. Thans, Renee.

#96467 Who Was There list

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 27 January 2020 - 10:46 AM in Issues

Thanks, TFTMTeutoppil. As I told Renee, it's only a minor annoyance and the report is more for research purposes than display or publication.

#96466 Who Was There list

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 27 January 2020 - 10:42 AM in Issues

Thanks, Renee.

No. Would it help if they were? I would prefer not to affect the format of places as I've entered them on event tags. It really isn't terribly important -- just a minor annoyance, easily coped with.

#96460 My RM8 Checklist (so far)

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 25 January 2020 - 09:30 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

You might prefer a box chart: Reports/Charts/Box charts/Ancestors. You will have much more control of the output, format, etc.

#96456 Who Was There list

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 24 January 2020 - 02:00 PM in Issues

I had occasion to invoke the Who Was There List report this morning, I think for the first time. I wanted to know who was in Kansas from 1880 to 1890. The report spat out the Kansas events — and also Arkansas events. I can see how this happened and why the search may have produced it. I'm wondering if there's any way to avoid it.

#96342 Narrative Reports with Media

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 08 January 2020 - 10:08 PM in Discussion

On an Edit Person menu click Media, then on the Media Album click tools/Rearrange media items. There are move up, move down & sort by date buttons at the bottom.

#96338 Narrative Reports with Media

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 08 January 2020 - 04:31 PM in Discussion

I hope I'm not missing the point here, but doesn't the media album/tools allow one to rearrange the order of exhibits? There's no need to delete and reinstall an item. GedSite seems to pick the exhibits up in the order one has prescribed.

#96162 Not admitting new members to Forums?

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 20 December 2019 - 09:44 AM in General Messages

Would it be possible to authorize a willing enthusiast to filter and remove the spam?

It's not just that I abhor Facebook, it's a lot easier to read and follow technical discussions — and perhaps occasionally contribute — on the forum. And, as TomH has said, both images and the like/dislike feature can be authorized for the board.

#96150 Not admitting new members to Forums?

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 19 December 2019 - 11:30 AM in General Messages

I too much prefer the forums.