robertjacobs0's Content

There have been 55 items by robertjacobs0 (Search limited from 10-August 19)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#97668 Anyone keep database and images on google drive?

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 04 July 2020 - 09:30 PM in Discussion

Thanks, Jerry. I think I recollect your post about that. But as I understood the OP, he was asking whether he could write directly to the Google cloud as though it were a drive on his own machine. If I now understand you correctly, the google drive software creates a local folder willy-nilly. I was unaware of that. If so, I can see where the other problems you discuss in your post would arise.

Synchronizing the backup seems sensible, although I still have serious reservations about Google's practices.

#97674 Anyone keep database and images on google drive?

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 05 July 2020 - 01:52 PM in Discussion

Dear Jerry,

I don't care to trust my data to any of them — fortunately, I have no need or desire to access the data from devices other than my desktop and laptop machines. I publish what I wish via GedSite on a server hosted by John Cardinal. If these practices may make me a kind of computer-age Luddite, then so be it. I guess the point is that I control the data, keep private what I wish to keep private, and send out only what I am willing to show the public.

The practical consequence for my genealogical research is that I can access the website from any computer or cell phone that connects to the net; I can only work on my RM7 database from one of the computers — desktop at home, laptop on the road. This limitation seems to me a small price to pay for avoiding Google Drive, One Drive, Dropbox, and Ancestry sharing.

BTW,  I was one of the victims of the Equifax hack. There's little reason to believe that the various cloud services are hack-proof. If I may say so, you're wise to encrypt your financial data.

Robert

#97700 Running RM7 against a production database and a test database

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 12 July 2020 - 11:01 PM in Discussion

Why not just make multiple backups of your production material, restoring as necessary when an experiment doesn't work? There might be less to keep track of, esp if your exhibits inhabit a complex folder/subfolder system?

#97728 New Pargraph in narrative reports.

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 15 July 2020 - 11:47 AM in Discussion

Alt-0182 will enter the pilcrow in an RM sentence template, but LibreOffice, at least, doesn't operationalize it. But I would think (haven't tried it) that a search & replace in Word would enable one to substitute a working paragraph marker for the pilcrow.

¶  :)

#97833 My RM database has 2 families with the same parents

Posted by robertjacobs0 on 31 July 2020 - 06:11 PM in Discussion

Try the merge function; you may have to do it twice, once for each spouse. Tools/Merge/Manual merge