Lethdun's Content

There have been 29 items by Lethdun (Search limited from 06-December 18)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#74385 Baptism date on person list

Posted by Lethdun on 19 September 2015 - 04:37 PM in Discussion

I do believe that Jerry has hit the nail squarely on the head. He very nicely covered not just the advantages of having baptism options, but the disadvantages too. I do know that when I grew up (pre-Noah's Ark) many Baptist children were baptized between the ages of 8 and 12 -- not all, but many. That, in some instances, gives me a starting point for when a person might have been born. On the other hand, if you had said that child was christened, his or her parents would have invited me to a nice family gathering picnic and poked my eyes out with a stick.  :rolleyes: Just saying... they were very nice people. :wacko:

Tom

#74309 Sorting Source Names in the Citation Manager

Posted by Lethdun on 15 September 2015 - 08:17 PM in Discussion

I would really, really like this feature. 

I use the Research Notes report a lot and frequently need to reorder citations. The current method of memorizing, pasting, and deleting citations is tedious. I would love to have "move up" and "move down" arrows to easily reorder.

I must admit that when thinking about features in other programs I overlooked this memorise/paste/delete possibility in RM. Where, say, there are only two citations in the list, it's pretty straightforward. However, since a pasted citation always goes to the bottom of the list, I agree that it can be quite tedious with a longer list.

I expect someone could come up with a formula for the number of clicks required for any given situation, but imagine you have a list of 5 citations and the first two are in the wrong order (2,1,3,4,5). I calculate that to put that right would require 12 clicks: Memorise 2, Paste 2, Memorise 3, Paste 3 etc up to Paste 5; then 4 more to delete the original 2, 3, 4 and 5. With up and down arrows a single click would fix it.

Egad! Gadzooks! What a timely post for me to run across.

I am on the tedious and boring mission of sorting Sources in the Citation Manager. I am attempting to put them in order of importance from "most" to "least" (top to bottom). My relatively simple task has turned into pure torture with no sort mechanism in place in RM7. I've tried poking my eye, but that didn't stop the agony. :wacko: The Memorize/Paste feature(?) is limited to a single Citation and simply does not handle the task at hand. I sincerely hope that an "up/down arrow" feature is present in RM8.

Tom

#74306 Online Map: "404 Not Found"

Posted by Lethdun on 15 September 2015 - 11:34 AM in Issues

The Newbury Library website historical maps were based on the AniMap software. You could purchase the software from Goldbug but its pricey - http://goldbug.com/animap/

I'd LOVE to have AniMap, but the cost is prohibitive right now. There are just too many other genealogy needs/wants to justify the purchase. Hm-m-m-m, maybe for Christmas!  :D

#74184 Census Records using one record per census year

Posted by Lethdun on 07 September 2015 - 04:53 PM in Tips and Hints

Hi Nettie,

EGAD! I think this would help me a lot -- I like what I see. Would you please give me permission to use the technique with RM and send the PDF file?  :)

Thank you, Lethdun