kcard's Content

There have been 58 items by kcard (Search limited from 19-January 19)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#65796 MacBridge for RootsMagic

Posted by kcard on 07 September 2014 - 12:40 PM in RootsMagic for Mac

I have used RM on my Mac via Parallels for some time but was pleased to see that it's being made available to Mac users via MacBridge. I downloaded it and have been trying it out but I do have a couple of issues/questions.....

1) When in the Edit Person window, and I select a fact, clicking in one of the fields on the right (any field even the proof popup) often, but not always, makes the view jump to another fact for that person. It doesn't happen every time, but often enough to be a pain. Also, just clicking in a blank spot in the right side of the window, often moves the fact selection to something different.

2) How do I do a search/find for some text that I would like to have grouped together? Such as searching for all people who have a burial place that equals Holy Sepulchre Cemetery? I can do the find from the RM Explorer but the results are not what I expected! The list is filled with the people I know were buried there, but also hundreds of people who never even were in the USA, lol. Why is that?

I look forward to the Mac version of RM!!

Kathy ....... Oh, I would dearly love the ability to copy an entire fact complete with source and notes so that it could be used for others sharing the event  (like Legacy does) ...... without having to use the Share Fact capability which doesn't transfer via gedcom.

#65801 MacBridge for RootsMagic

Posted by kcard on 07 September 2014 - 09:21 PM in RootsMagic for Mac

Laura .... OK. I see it now and that makes sense. I did expect different behavior, but I see now how RM is set up to work. So, I did a find:  Burial, Place Details, contains, cemetery name and could move forward and backwards thru the RM Explorer to each of those people. NOW...... is there a way to be able to put these results into some kind of a Group? A report or list?

Thank you for your help!

Kathy

#65809 MacBridge for RootsMagic

Posted by kcard on 08 September 2014 - 11:40 AM in RootsMagic for Mac

So far I don't have anyone else reporting this issue. I will watch to see if there is a pattern. For now I'm not sure why that is happening. Are you only seeing this behavior using MacBridge for RootsMagic, and not when you were using RootsMagic with Parallels on the Mac?

It only happens in MacBridge for RM. RM under Parallels works as expected. 

#65811 MacBridge for RootsMagic

Posted by kcard on 08 September 2014 - 11:57 AM in RootsMagic for Mac

Renee .... I just noticed something else regarding this issue ...... WHEN I see this behavior,

1) Select a Fact on the left which makes the details for the Fact show on the right

2) Clicking in a field for the details, such as Date

3) The fact on the left that lies directly on the same horizontal level as the field I just clicked in is where the selection gets moved to.

4) As an example, I just selected an Occupation fact. When I click in the Date field on the right, the selection jumped to the individual's name on the left...... which was the field on the left that was on the same line. 

This seems to be happening about 40% of the time.

#65812 MacBridge for RootsMagic

Posted by kcard on 08 September 2014 - 12:02 PM in RootsMagic for Mac

Yes.

You manage and display groups primarily from the Groups tab on the sidebar. There is also the ability to filter by groups in the People View and to manage groups from Search in the menu bar (Search -> Named Groups -> Manage Groups).

To create a new group (or edit an existing group) to contain people buried in a particular cemetery, you will need to Mark Group -> Select by Data Fields and then use a criterion similar to what you have already done where Burial Place Contains [CemeteryName].

Having made the Group, you can make a custom report of everybody in the named Group, selecting the fields you want - usually things like first name, last name, etc. Or you can just put that Group into the Group sidebar and scroll up and down through the sidebar.

Jerry

Jerry

Thank you so much!!!! That was a feature I couldn't find and hadn't noticed before. I followed your directions and I'm a happy camper. Thanks again!

Kathy

#65816 MacBridge for RootsMagic

Posted by kcard on 08 September 2014 - 03:35 PM in RootsMagic for Mac

Still a mystery to me. Run the File>Database Tools all options in consecutive order to see if that makes any difference.

OK. I did that. The first three tests ran quickly and were OK. When I ran the compact database, I got an error message "RM has encountered an unexpected error:  SQLite Error 1 - cannot VACUUM - SQL statements in pr." I sent the error report to RM. Then tried again to compact ..... It has been at it for an hour now with no change. Is that normal? My database contains about 9500 people and is 23 MB. How long should I let this compacting go?

#65852 MacBridge font?/unlock

Posted by kcard on 10 September 2014 - 09:15 AM in RootsMagic for Mac

For a font, I'm using Constantia 18 and 16. I feel that it works well. BTW, I also ran into that problem of having to Force Quit. Besides the red button, I also found that clicking the door (Windows exit) then choosing either to backup or skip, exits the program also. Not very Mac-like but I think this is a work in progress. I'm looking forward to future improvements and DEFINITELY the Mac version!

Kathy

#65853 Research Logs?

Posted by kcard on 10 September 2014 - 09:25 AM in Discussion

I'm a fairly new user to RM. I used it in the past but switched to Legacy via Parallels on my Mac. When I saw that I could use RM via MacBridge, I switched back and plan on using RM for all my research/genealogy from now on.

So, that little intro finished, I'd like to know how others make use of Research Logs? I understand that they are used to record research you have already done. I guess my question really is, do you make one log for each person and record all work you do on him/her? Or, do you make one for, say John Jones - census and another for John Jones - marriage, etc.? I'm interested in what seems to work best before I dive into it and have to change things later on. 

Any ideas or suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks!

#65889 MacBridge for RootsMagic

Posted by kcard on 11 September 2014 - 09:21 AM in RootsMagic for Mac

I did get the Compact File to work properly eventually. Guess it just got hung up.

I'm still having the other problem I mentioned above:

1) When in the Edit Person window, and I select a fact, clicking in one of the fields on the right (any field even the proof popup) often, but not always, makes the view jump to another fact for that person. It doesn't happen every time, but often enough to be a pain. Also, just clicking in a blank spot in the right side of the window, often moves the fact selection to something different.

However, I just noticed something....... I just had this happen after clicking in a Graduation fact..... it would jump to another fact as stated above. Six times in a row can be aggravating! But, I noticed if I DOUBLE CLICKED in the field on the left, say Graduation, there is no jumping around. The Date field for the Graduation event gets highlighted and allows me to click in any other field in that right pane, which is what is needed. I tried it many other times on various people and various facts and when I double clicked, it worked as expected.

I don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but this has worked for me.

#65910 Research Logs?

Posted by kcard on 12 September 2014 - 09:53 AM in Discussion

Laura ......... Wow! Thank you so much for your list of great ways to use Research Logs. It's a lot to digest but it gives me a lot of ideas for my own research and I'm sure I will implement many of yours!

I love to be organized and have formerly used my own database in FileMaker Pro on my Mac to record everything I have ever researched, whether I found what I was looking for or not. I stopped using it, only because of the cost of upgrading it to work with new operating systems and have searched for something else I can use. With your excellent suggestions, I think I can make this work..... and have the complete package.

Thanks again for your suggestions!

#65973 Invalid floating point operation

Posted by kcard on 15 September 2014 - 04:33 PM in RootsMagic for Mac

I have the same error coming up under the same circumstances which seems to indicate a bug. As a Mac user, I very much appreciate that RootsMagic is being made available to us natively on our Macs. I look forward to the real deal for Macs!

#66017 MacBridge for RootsMagic

Posted by kcard on 17 September 2014 - 11:09 AM in RootsMagic for Mac

The reason it is jumping is because the focus has not changed to that fact. For some reason your computer is not recognizing the single click as selecting that new fact. When you click on the field on the right it is jumping to the fact that is still in focus.

I'm not sure what is different in your computer setup or how you are clicking on the fact. Can you tell me what Mac version you are using? Are you tabbing or clicking on the fact? After you click on the fact the cursor should automatically be in the first field to begin typing. Let us know any steps you are taking that may help us pin-point why this is happening. Obviously double-click works but we don't know why a single click is not good enough on your computer. So far I don't have anyone else reporting this. 

I am using Mac OS 10.9.4.

I select a Fact on the left, say Death. In the pane on the right side, it shows Death as the Fact selected with the fields, date, etc. displayed. When I click in one of those fields, the cursor jumps to whichever Fact is on the same horizontal plane on the left side of the window, such as Census. It's crazy, I know ...... leave it to me to have a problem no one an figure out, lol! But, I'm not too concerned. It doesn't happen every single time and when it's a problem, I smile and double click as I stated above. It's definitely not a deal breaker for me. I enjoy using RM on my Mac and appreciate the effort it took to make this possible.

#66022 Hopefully a helpful tip on Copying Facts

Posted by kcard on 17 September 2014 - 12:42 PM in Discussion

I enjoy using RM, now under MacBridge, but one item high on my Wish List is the ability to copy entire Facts (including Notes and Sources) to add to additional people. I choose not to use Shared Facts because they don't transfer via gedcom and that's important to me.

So, with the help of a little Utility app, I can copy Fact details such as Date and Note from one person and then copy those items to a different person. I use the Memorize and Paste functions in RM to copy and paste Source info for use again. I use a multiple clipboard utility. The one I use is PTHPasteboard but there are others that work as well. These are the steps I follow:

1) Create a Fact for an individual and enter in all pertinent info including Notes. 

2) Select any field data you want to copy over to an additional person by selecting it and either Edit menu>Copy or press command+c to copy the data to one of your multiple clipboards. Do this with other field such as Notes. Now you should have those fields copied to the clipboard. (I don't copy the place details because they are easy to duplicate by the auto complete feature.)

3) Add in your source info by adding a new one or citing an existing source. When it is complete, click the Memorize button. Now you should have everything you need to copy the fact to an another person.

4) Go to each subsequent person you want to add the Fact to. Add the Fact to that person.

5) In the Date field, go to your multiple clipboard display (mine is reached from the menubar). Choose the date by clicking on that clipboard and it will paste it in the date.

6) Go to the Notes and click on the appropriate clipboard, and your Note data is copied.

7) Click on the Source, then paste your saved source data in from the Citation Manager window.

It only takes a very short time to copy Facts from one person to another in this manner. Much easier and better than going back and forth from one person to another! Still, not as elegant and efficient as having one button to copy it all. I hope this is helpful to other users. 

#66053 Hopefully a helpful tip on Copying Facts

Posted by kcard on 18 September 2014 - 04:21 PM in Discussion

I use the alt+ m  to memorize my source citation, then alt + p for printing it for using with the next person who needs it.  My census & other sources are set up with having all the information within the census source, including names, Household, family, page # etc...  The next census fact is  filled in using the census fact, fill in date on record, place, place details, if appropriate, have the description enabled and use for age of person on record and occupation. The sentence is filled in as I want it to be. open Citation/Source Manager then alt+p and change what is need.

I also do not use shared events, only census (family) if a couple. 

Using the Detail Text which become the Research Notes: section with all the information can be printed in narrative reports, individual summaries. Notes to me are too cluttered, not real readable in a report to put all that information in them. 

Nettie

This seems like a good idea to me. It certainly would achieve copying ALL the important data for a Fact in one operation and the ability to paste it into a created Fact for the next person involved. Is there any down side to doing it this way? I'll have to give this some thought. Thanks for sharing it. 

#66073 Hopefully a helpful tip on Copying Facts

Posted by kcard on 19 September 2014 - 10:37 AM in Discussion

Nettie

Thank you so much for sharing this! I love this Forum because of people like you that share better ways of doing things in RM! Your Excel workbook sounds like a great idea, too and I will definitely search for Laura's wisdom on sentences. Your method is the way I'm entering the data I've always put in Notes before, especially for Facts that include more than one person such as Census. I'll go back and gradually work on older entries to convert them to this method.

Have a great day!

#66085 Hopefully a helpful tip on Copying Facts

Posted by kcard on 19 September 2014 - 04:39 PM in Discussion

Laura.... Another good idea! Thank you so much!!

#66175 Invalid floating point operation

Posted by kcard on 23 September 2014 - 12:45 PM in RootsMagic for Mac

I am encountering this error, too. Like some others, it seems to happen when I switch to another running program on my computer. When I switch back to RM, the error is there. It just happened on the Family view for me when I switched back from using Safari. 

I am running 10.9.4 on my MacBook Pro. No, I'm not using the same RM database on my Mac and on my copy of RM in Parallels. RM is not even running on Parallels, which is, in fact, not running at all (Parallels).

#66182 Invalid floating point operation

Posted by kcard on 23 September 2014 - 02:53 PM in RootsMagic for Mac

Just got another one ..... I left RM, worked in other apps, left RM the frontmost app with the Edit Person screen active and the computer went to sleep. Upon waking the computer, the error was there. I believe I've gotten them with every screen/view in RM.

#66192 Invalid floating point operation

Posted by kcard on 23 September 2014 - 04:24 PM in RootsMagic for Mac

This last time was on the Family view. I had been working in it, stopped to answer the phone, and the error message popped up before my eyes. Hopefully with this feedback, you folks can figure it out. It seems fairly random to me.

#66221 MacBridge for RootsMagic

Posted by kcard on 24 September 2014 - 09:36 AM in RootsMagic for Mac

KCard,

I am able to replicate this.

Allen

Thank you, Allen! I'm glad I'm not the only one ..... not that I'm happy you have experienced this. It's just nice to know my computer isn't possessed or something.   :o

#66373 Letters and numbers showing after names?

Posted by kcard on 29 September 2014 - 07:57 AM in Discussion

This is just  a question about "what is it?" rather than a problem .......

I have noticed that on SOME people in my database, there is a series of letters and numbers that appear immediately after the name in the blank area of the upper left of the Edit Person screen. For instance:  Jacob Hinkle (MR J9-NFH)

What is that? Did it come from Legacy when I did my import? The combo is different on each name it appears on, but does not appear on every name. It does not appear on reports so it's more of an annoyance than a real problem and I just wonder what it is?

#66376 Letters and numbers showing after names?

Posted by kcard on 29 September 2014 - 09:10 AM in Discussion

That is the FamilySearch Family Tree ID. Under Tools> File Options > General tab is a setting for what ID you want optionally displayed after the name.

That sounded good, Tom, but mine is already set to None.

#66394 Letters and numbers showing after names?

Posted by kcard on 29 September 2014 - 05:00 PM in Discussion

Thank you, Renee. That explained it well. I wasn't bothered by it.... just curious as to what it was.  :)

#66485 OSXFUSE Update - seems to fixed floating point

Posted by kcard on 02 October 2014 - 11:56 AM in RootsMagic for Mac

Please tell them not to take away from the development of the native mac version... we can handle a floating point every now and then until the native version is done.

Allen

I agree, Allen ..... it's just a minor annoyance..... as long as whatever is causing it doesn't impact the native Mac version in some way.

#66769 Publish Online versus html files

Posted by kcard on 13 October 2014 - 09:50 PM in Discussion

Why is Google unable to search pages created with Publish Online?