Anneli111's Content

There have been 11 items by Anneli111 (Search limited from 26-November 19)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#53638 Problem with fact senteces - inconsistency between printed reports, Web repor...

Posted by Anneli111 on 06 November 2012 - 04:14 PM in Issues

I have the following problem with fact sentences giving different results for shared events. Is there anyone that can confirm this is a bug or am I doing something wrong?

1. Select LIST, FACT TYPE LIST in main window

2. Select MARRAIAGE fact, and edit the fact sentence for PRINCIPAL role :
<%He|She> got married to <%[Wife:Given]|[Husband:Given]>< [Date]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place:First]>. He was [Husband:Age:plain] years old and she was [Wife:Age:plain] years old at the time.

4. Open a husband in Edit Person screen. Select the MARRIAGE fact, and in
the bottom blue right corner of window for Sentence (where you can customize
the sentence) for the fact is will show (note that the age of his wife is not shown) "He got married to Susanna Andersdotter on 3 Apr 1803 in Kannus socken. He was 25 years old and she was years old at the time ".

5. Select the husband and print a narrative report - Decendants - NGSQ (modifed register)
In the narrative report it will print correctly "He got married to Susanna Andersdotter on 3 Apr 1803 in Kannus socken. He was 25 years old and she was 17 years old at the time ".

6. Select one of the couples children and print a narrative report - Ancestors. It will print for the husband "She got married to Matts Isaksson on 3 Apr 1803 in Kannus socken. He was 25 years old and she was 17 years old at the time ". Note that report is assuming that it is for the wife instead of the husband, and it should be the opposite.

7. Create a WEB site- Ancestor book or decendant book. In both these reports for the husband the fact sentence language is not recognised.

It will be written "He got married to [Wife:Given] on 3 April 1700 in Kannus socken. He was [Husband:Age:plain] years old and she was [Wife:Age:plain] years old at the time"

The Sw version I have is 5.0.4.1 (11 Jul 2012).

#53649 Problem with fact senteces - inconsistency between printed reports, Web repor...

Posted by Anneli111 on 07 November 2012 - 08:40 AM in Issues

I like you fact sentence and I will use it. Thanks for your help.

However even so I still consider the above cases are bugs that should be corrected in RM.
1. Narrative reports should not print the wife instead of the husband as described above.
2. WEB reports should work for fact sentences made for marriage events
3. Edit Person Window should reflect correctly the sentence that will be printed.

#50885 Fact sentences - inconsistency when sharing fact

Posted by Anneli111 on 17 May 2012 - 02:15 AM in Issues

When I create a shared fact, I have the following problem with the Narrative reports.

CASE 1.

2. Select DEATH fact, and add a ROLE e.g. "Wife dies"

3. Create the following fact sentence for the witness: When his wife [person:Given] was [Person:Age:plain] year old she died< [Desc]> in [Date:Year]

4. SELECT the wife and for the DEATH fact share it with the Husband as ROLE "Wife dies" created before.

5. Open the husband in Edit Person screen. Select the shared fact, and in the bottom blue rigth corner of window for Sentence (where you can customize the senetence) for the fact is will show (note that the age of primary person (wife) is shown) "When his wife Brita was 48 year old she died of old age in 1825".

6. Print a narrative report.
In the narrative report it will print (Note: age of primary person (wife) is not shown) "When his wife Brita was year old she died of old age in 1825".

Why does it not work in the narrative report?
================================================================================
CASE 2.

2. Select DEATH fact, and add a ROLE e.g. "Wife dies"

3. Create the following fact sentence for the witness: When [ThisPerson] was [ThisPerson:Age:plain] year old his wife [person:Given] died< [Desc]> in [Date:Year]. She was [person:age] years old.

4. SELECT the wife and for the DEATH fact share it with the Husband as ROLE "Wife dies" created before.

5. Open the husband in Edit Person screen. Select the shared fact, and in the bottom blue rigth corner of window for Sentence (where you can customize the senetence) for the fact is will show (note that age of primary person (wife) shown, age of witness (husband) is not shown) "When he was year old his wife Brita died of old age in 1825. She was 48 years old. "

6. Print a narrative report. In the narrative report it will print (note that age of primary person (wife) is not shown, age of witness (husband)is shown) "When he was 32 year old his wife Brita died of old age in 1825. She was years old".

There seem to be other similar problems with the reports for the shared events and the witness roles in what they print and what is shown in the Edit person veiw.

Is this a bug or have I misunderstood the function of the shared facts somehow?

/ Regards Anneli
The Sw version I have is 5.0.3.0 (27 Mar 2012).

#50910 Customized Fact sentence - OtherPersons field for witness

Posted by Anneli111 on 18 May 2012 - 01:27 AM in Issues

HI Laura.

Thank you for your reply to clarify this.
I beleive Help for Rootsmagic regarding the fact sentences in this case are incorrect.
This would mean it is only usable for the primary person.

For the fact it is stated that it can be used for witnesses, see below from Help included in Rootsmagic.
Section : Sentence Template Language , Fact Sentence Fields

Field: Field [OtherPersons]
Field type: 1 or more person
Decription: All witnesses to the event, regardless of role. In witness fact sentences, this excludes the main witness.

The way it is written does not state this, it states that it can be used if I read the above correctly. Do you agree?
In this case I might raise a ticket to correct the Help manual for this.

Regards / Anneli

#50886 Customized Fact sentence - OtherPersons field for witness

Posted by Anneli111 on 17 May 2012 - 06:58 AM in Issues

Hi.
This is another one regarding fact sentences and narrative report, which I raised in Rootsmagic support as a reported bug, and was recommended by them to raise it in both Rootsmagic forum and in the Rootsmagic user mailing list in rootsweb, to see if I could find someone to answer regarding the below. So here it goes...
When I create a shared fact, I have the following problem with the Narrative reports.

2. Select RESIDENCE fact, and create a ROLE e.g. "household"

4. SELECT the person and for the RESIDENCE fact share it with two other persons as role "household".

5. Open the person in Edit Person screen. Select the shared fact, and in the bottom blue right corner of window for Sentence (where you can customize the sentence). Create a customized sentence:
< [Date]> [person] was head of the household < [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>. Other persons in the same household were [OtherPersons].
For the fact is will show "1802 Nils Waldemar was head of the household at Dummy in Stockholm . Other persons in the same household were Anders Nilsson and Brita Johansson."
6. In narrative report it will print the same. So far so good.
=========
Now to my problem
7. Select one of the other persons that share the event.
8. Open the person in Edit Person screen. Select the shared fact, and in the bottom blue right corner of window for Sentence (where you can customize the sentence). Create a customized sentence:
< [Date]> [ThisPerson] was living< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]> were [person] was head of the household. Other persons in the same household were [OtherPersons].
For the fact is will show "1802 Anders Nilsson was living at Dummy in Stockholm were Nils Waldemar was head of the household . Other persons in the same household were ."
Other persons are not printed.

6. Print a narrative report it prints the same. Other persons are not shown.

7. In Rootsmagic help is describes the field [OtherPersons] - 1 or more person - All witnesses to the event, regardless of role. In witness fact sentences, this excludes the main witness. I interpret this as you should be able to use the field for a witness, however it will not print main witness for these.

Is this a bug or have I misunderstood ?

/ Regards Anneli
The Sw version I have is 5.0.3.0 (27 Mar 2012).

#53689 Citation manager to show if source has media files

Posted by Anneli111 on 09 November 2012 - 05:40 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

I think it would be a useful with a check mark in the citation manager, for the sources that have media connected in a similar way as the media in the Person edit window.

Ie, using the Citation manger you see an additional column in the source list, with the camera icon + check mark.
I am working with adding pictures for census records, and are going through my data base to add such, and this addition would help me greatly.

See below (not the best drawing, but should give an idea...)

Posted Image

#53673 Allow { }, [ ], and/or ( ) around last name

Posted by Anneli111 on 08 November 2012 - 11:49 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

I have scandinavian families in my reasearch. Many names consist of Given name, Patronym and a farm name. The farm name changes when they move to a new Farm. Then you have the cases where certain occupations it is common to change the name whenever they want. So it is very difficult to see relations by looking at last names.

I have tried to figure out the best way how to handle this, using brackets for the Farm name etc, however never was satisfied with the sorting.. Using Alternative names are described above by Laura gave me a lot of new ideas. Patronym is usally very common, and it would not be really correct to use Farm name as Surnname I assume.

Is there anyone that has a good suggestion for such name structures, and at the same time have some logic in finding relations?

#53690 Allow { }, [ ], and/or ( ) around last name

Posted by Anneli111 on 09 November 2012 - 06:08 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

I tried using Alternative name the farm name in the Suffix field as you suggested and it works great. Then I used the relation in surname (actually the patronym) e.g. Johans son, and the given name as it should.
It views in list as "Mattila farm, Johans son Anders"

It gave exactly what I needed, sorted per farm, also get the relationship for the father in a much better way than using brackets as I did previously.

Thank you Laura.

#53628 Ability to copy Fact (including source,notes etc) between persons

Posted by Anneli111 on 06 November 2012 - 11:01 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

would like to see an enhancement to RM, where you can copy a whole Fact from one person to another person (including all the details, i.e. source, notes etc).

If you have the same source for several persons, and don't use Shared facts, it is time consuming to create the fact, then copy the notes, then copy the source etc. This is the case if you have a census source for big families.

It would be so much simpler if the whole fact could be copied after you have created it for one person, and then copy it to other relevant persons.

#53629 Ability to convert shared facts to individual facts in GEDCOM export

Posted by Anneli111 on 06 November 2012 - 12:09 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

I find the shared facts really useful in RM for citations of e.g. census where the source is common for many persons.

Using shared facts it shows clearly if the person the main person of the source or not, which is especially good for census. For a person sharing the fact you see directly e.g. who the head of the household, or the main person etc. It shows for the children that they are living with the father and mother etc.
Since this is not a GEDCOM standard, it causes problems to share the data with others.

I see many threads in the user forums where it is recommended not to use the shared facts, since it will cause problems. And many threads today where users are asking for a convert function. I did not find it in the RM Wish list, so I raise it here, and hope that there are some other users that will add to this wish.

Since RM has this feature, and so many users are avoiding it due to it is not compatible, this is a bit negative feedback for RM in my view. Why not enhance it so it becomes usable for more users, and get some extra points compared to the other programs available.

Please, add a feature that can convert shared facts to individual facts (at GEDCOM export and with an option to chose certain fact types, or all facts) so that the data can be shared with others without loosing research.

#53653 Ability to convert shared facts to individual facts in GEDCOM export

Posted by Anneli111 on 07 November 2012 - 12:07 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

What you describe would be really good, as you say it will maintain compatibility.

How to handle if you already have notes and description fields filled in? I would prefer the note field in this case. Even if you have other text here for me it would not matter. I would prefer to be at the beginning of the note, if other text exists.

I really like the shared facts, since it give a direct visibility of the fact in a completely different way. I started using shared facts and later on reading all suggestions on the forum that this will cause problems, tried to go and change to individual facts.

I quickly realized what a loss this is, not to use this function. So I am back using the shared facts. And back with the problem of the sharing of data with other researchers.... And hopeing someday a solution will be developed in RM.