A Descendant's Content

There have been 33 items by A Descendant (Search limited from 05-December 18)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#50464 Narrative report printing extra birth fact using census sentence.

Posted by A Descendant on 15 April 2012 - 04:29 PM in Discussion

If it says that then you have the wrong date on the census.

But if the census date is correct, you probably do not have any other family facts listed for that family, not even a marriage fact.

I am assuming that the husband is the descendant if this is a descendant report, in the ancestor reports the husband is always listed first.

So, the husband's personal facts are listed, then the family facts and finally the spouse's personal facts. If the census is the only family fact then it will immediately precede the wife's birth date.

(Personally, I think there should be a paragraph break there, between the family facts and the spouse's personal facts, as there is between the first spouse and the family facts.)

The census date was correct, and this family has a good bit of information. Anyway the problem didn't go away when i deleted the census fact.

It was printing the birth information at the very beginning in a census sentence, then following it with the proper birth sentence. The narrative report started with the husband, who was the one i put the fact on, then shared it with his wife and children. The problem didn't occur on the husband and I had been looking at narrative report at various stages before this and it was fine.

After thinking about it i think I figured out what I did that may have caused it.

I had created a custom census fact, with rolls for wife and children, and i had attached this to the principal (the husband) then shared it with his wife and the children who were with them in the census. Later i decided not to use this custom fact after all, so i deleted it from the Fact Type List, knowing that it would remove it from this family.

That seems to be what caused the trouble, as this unwanted beginning birth sentence is using the custom census sentence which i deleted. And this problem did not affect the 2 children who did not have the fact shared with them.

Hopefully I explained that properly.

#50461 Narrative report printing extra birth fact using census sentence.

Posted by A Descendant on 15 April 2012 - 02:32 PM in Discussion

I have an unusual problem here. For some reason on one particular family in my tree when i go to a narrative report for this family the first fact which is the birth fact is a census sentence. Then its followed by the proper first sentence.
So, for example, instead of the first sentence being "Jane Smith was born in Maryland, on 6/10/1841", Its printing "Jane Smith appeared in the household of her husband, in the census 6/10/1841 in Maryland". THEN, the next sentence shows "she was born in Maryland, on 6/10/1841". And it does use the lowercase pronoun as shown here. So for some reason its doing a double birth fact, with one being a census.

It doesn't do it for the husband of the family, only the wife and certain children. And its only this family.

I have been experimenting with various census facts and this sentence that is printing is one of my custom fact sentences, but i was only working with census facts. I'm not really sure what i did to cause this. It seems to have happened after i added a census fact for 1860 census, as the problem didn't affect the one child that fact wasn't shared with. I deleted the census facts for the family but it didn't fix it.

Anybody have any ideas??

#50458 Reports displaying notes and all fields

Posted by A Descendant on 15 April 2012 - 07:37 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

Thanks for the very detailed reply Laura. So much to think about, and so many different ways to do things! Its given me plenty of options to think over.

#50426 Reports displaying notes and all fields

Posted by A Descendant on 14 April 2012 - 07:31 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

I am saving the census fact to each individual and not sharing it. This fact is set to not print in a Narrative report on the Lists, Fact type list and to print for a Family Group sheet. I do have the description enabled and enter the head of household into the description for the fact linked to the other family members.

I changed my default sentence to print the description if present.

[person:first]<?[Desc]| is listed in the household of [desc]| is listed [PlaceDetails] [Place]>< on the [Date:year] census>.

I also have an Individual user defined fact, ! Shared Census, that I link to the Principal [head of household] and then share with other family members. This fact is marked to print in a Narrative report and not print in a Family Group Sheet. If I am exporting a gedcom for use in another genealogy program, I unmark the gedcom selection.

I have all the advantages of using the roles switches and can put abbreviated notes in the Sharree's notes to be included in the Role sentence when the role sentence does not end with a comma.

I'm also interested in this custom fact. How does it differ from the individual Census fact?

So, if I understand right, your individual fact prints only in the Family Group Sheet and shows the person in the household of whomever you put in the description field. So you would also have the advantage of putting the head of household as its shown in that census, not just as the default name of the person in the program.
Then the shared fact is used in a narrative report only and is printed with notes, but it would show the head of household as the default name of the [principal]?

#50406 "Gleaning" census data - how do others do it?

Posted by A Descendant on 13 April 2012 - 05:21 PM in Discussion

I am curious as to how others use/input census information.

It was my practice in FTM16 to use the census as a source for names, birth dates and places, occupations, residences, etc. That is, I created facts for these things, using the census as a source, or I sourced facts i already had created. Naturally I end up with many alternate birth dates and names variations, and the possibility for several other facts per census.

Now that i've moved to RM5 and am changing (and hopefully improving!) some of my methods, i'm beginning to see how this could end up looking very complicated and redundant in a narrative report.
So i'm just wondering, what do you do with census data? Where do you put it all?

#50405 Back button

Posted by A Descendant on 13 April 2012 - 05:00 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

Customize the toolbar with the back button. Thete is also a forward button.

Yoi can open RM Explorer, check the fact for Baker. Cancel Explorer, and you will still have Smith in your screen.

Are you saying we have the ability now to add a back and forward button to the toolbar? Id love to know how, i really miss that from FTM16!

Nevermind I figured it out!

#50325 Confused about source citations, varying microfilm numbers

Posted by A Descendant on 10 April 2012 - 05:44 PM in Discussion

Thanks for the reply. I didn't realize templates could be edited. What you suggested will work.
I really like the help of the templates but i've also read alot of arguments in favor of using Free Form citations instead of Templates, and i'm undecided yet as to what I want to use.

#50310 Confused about source citations, varying microfilm numbers

Posted by A Descendant on 10 April 2012 - 10:57 AM in Discussion

Hello, I am new to RootsMagic 5 having recently switched from FTM 16 and i am somewhat confused when it comes to source citations.

I had created a new master source for a certain database of marriage records (Pennsylvania County Marriages, 1885 - 1950) on FamilySearch using the template "Vital Record, Filmed (FHL-GSU)" as that seemed to be closest to what i needed. When i came to the field for the film number i put in the film number given on the FamilySearch page for the record i was viewing. However i discovered after going through several records in that collection that they have various film numbers.

So now I don't know what should be in that field for "film number". I don't want to make a master source for every single record I use from that collection. Should I haved used another template for the source? Should i leave that field blank and somehow put the film number in the details of each citation?