draydev1's Content

There have been 8 items by draydev1 (Search limited from 20-October 18)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#83556 Preparing an RM Descendant Narrative Report for a Family Reunion for This Year

Posted by draydev1 on 29 May 2017 - 03:46 PM in Tips and Hints

That's exactly how I was thinking you did the sentences.  Thanks again!

Kim

#83544 Preparing an RM Descendant Narrative Report for a Family Reunion for This Year

Posted by draydev1 on 29 May 2017 - 10:55 AM in Tips and Hints

For the Namesake and Gravemarker facts, do you leave the sentence template null or do you have <[date]><[place]> and just leave them blank?  I have a few facts that I have no sentence template and they work pretty good. I will be going back to them, though, and adding the template to make the heading bold.

I'm still trying out combinations of the sentence templates with/without the carriage return and also the option of RM's with/without new paragraph after facts.  I do agree with your reasoning for adding it before the sentence template for the times you may not want facts separated.  It makes it easy to go into the sentence for that one or two facts (just under a certain person) and change it, without affecting the fact for everyone.  At least that's how I think I would do it.  Things for me to think about.

Thanks again.  You've been a tremendous help!

Kim

#83522 Preparing an RM Descendant Narrative Report for a Family Reunion for This Year

Posted by draydev1 on 28 May 2017 - 09:30 PM in Tips and Hints

Thank you Jerry.

I did see where the <b> and </b> caused the bold type, and I actually like that in the report.  I didn't realize the carriage return so I will probably add that. Do you know if the carriage return affects the Narrative report (NEHGS) when you have the three options of "keep fact sentences in same paragraph", "new paragraph after every fact", or "new paragraph after facts with notes"?  I can just play with it to see.  Just wondered if there was one you use over the others.  Right now I have "new paragraph after every fact" and it's awful, but that's because of the standard fact sentences.  It might work pretty well when I change the sentences and add notes into the fact notes.

I was thinking it was better to create new facts because I didn't want to lose the default sentence templates. However, changing them at the same time using Lists->Fact Type List means I can just as easily go back and change them back to the default if I choose.

I do have a couple other questions about some of your sentences.  Just want to make sure I understand them.  You have a few that are just the bold title: then your note. For example:  Namesake: (after the Birth info for Sallie Jane Cole) and Gravemarker: (after the Burial for Sallie J. Peters).  Are those facts with just the <b>Namesake:</b> with date and place empty or did you just put those titles in the fact notes for Birth and Burial?  I can see where that may easiest to do (putting them in the notes) instead of creating a new fact for them.  (I actually just tried putting them in the note for the fact and it works like a charm! I just opened a fact note, did a carriage return to start the note under the fact sentence, typed Namesake: and a generic note, then looked at a report. It worked perfectly!)

So glad I have tomorrow off from work.  Got some more work to do on this database.  Thank you again!!

Kim

#83517 Preparing an RM Descendant Narrative Report for a Family Reunion for This Year

Posted by draydev1 on 28 May 2017 - 07:37 PM in Tips and Hints

Hi, Jerry.

I just found this post, and this report is exactly what I am looking for.  Thank you so much for sharing it!

Because I can be a perfectionist, I haven't gotten really far in entering data into my software, yet.  (Don't be fooled, I have a ton of research documents, just not entered yet) My problem is self-sabatoge because I'm too busy looking at the boards and YouTube and trying everything, but then not liking how the reports print. This leads to trying something different, and so on.

I thought about entering the facts and sourcing them but putting all notes into the Person Note to make a mini biography, plus i could make the sentences sound the way I want.  Each note would have the bold headers like in your report (to know which fact they correspond to) but I didn't like that there is no source superscripts with the notes, and it all just didn't work as I envisioned it.  I've even saved reports as .rtf files and tried revising but I basically was completely retyping the entire report. I know the database won't do all the work and I don't want it to but I still couldn't find the type of report I wanted.  Until now!!

I think I understand how you created the sentence templates for the facts.  They don't seem too difficult.  While I have 37 people entered in the database, I honestly don't have much information entered for each one.  Would it be better to create the new facts and basically start a new database (it will help me start fresh and I really don't mind that since I've changed my mind so many times; it will help me clean up everything). Or should I go into each person, go into each individual fact I used for them and change each fact sentence? Then, create the new facts and use those for all new information entered?  I'm leaning toward starting over. 

I wouldn't really be creating too many new facts and Gedcom is not much of a concern to me, although, from what I'm reading, they may still transfer just fine.  What to do, what to do?

Thanks for any help.

Kim

#82997 How detailed are your facts

Posted by draydev1 on 08 April 2017 - 03:45 PM in Discussion

You're absolutely right Jerry, and we hear all the time how family "stories and information" gets proven wrong, especially when no documents can back it up.  I do have the documents to back it up and I'm steadily adding those in.

I think my original question came about in looking at my database with a long list of facts, not only for my husband and I individually, but also each of my kids.  Did I really want that long list of facts, or would it be better to group things together.  In the end, it's how I present the information, really.  The narrative that I type out will be more of a summary instead of boring sentences such as:  He was born...., He went to this school..., He went to that school..., and that school, and that one, and so on.

Kim

#82978 How detailed are your facts

Posted by draydev1 on 06 April 2017 - 04:57 PM in Discussion

You have all given me some things to think about.  As far as proof of all of the military moves and moving as a child every 3-4 years, I am the proof, but I do have copies of military orders and residence, school documents, etc.  I think I'm going to just continue being as detailed as I have been.  Things can be combined when I write up the narratives.  Thank you all so much for your help. 

#82943 How detailed are your facts

Posted by draydev1 on 02 April 2017 - 02:40 PM in Discussion

I was wondering just how detailed any one gets with their facts.  Not with ancestors but with yourself, children, or immediate family.  Let me explain.

For most of us, we know the most information about ourselves and immediate family.  I'm retired military so multiple residences and multiple schools for my kids creates multiple facts.  I also grew up moving around with my parents, so again multiple residences/multiple schools. 

Most of my ancestors, the information I have is birth, marriage, death, census', and a few residences.  But for myself, I have anywhere from 20-30 facts alone if I enter every residence, school, military assignment, birth, marriage, etc.  For my boys, I decided to create custom school facts - !K-8, !High School, and !College.  The residences are listed individually but I combined the schools attended into the custom school facts.

What I'm looking for, I guess, is how much information is too much or too detailed? Do you enter everything you possibly can? Of course, I know the answer is "enter everything and leave no stone unturned" but is it better to be detailed or maybe group some things together, like I did with the boys school information.  And, yes, I know it's whatever works for me, but I'd like to know what others are doing.

Thanks,  Kim

#80016 General Person Note as Research Log

Posted by draydev1 on 01 July 2016 - 01:17 PM in Discussion

I was just wondering if anyone else uses the General Note for a person as a type of research log or mini biography area?  RM is a fantastic program and the Research Log/To-Do/Research Notes Report are a great idea but, for the way my brain functions, it's a lot of steps to click through a lot of different areas to compare things.  

I've been watching a bunch of different YouTube videos and came across a few that Crista Cowan has done for Ancestry.com.  She shows how she utilizes the Person Note, in FTM, as a type of To-Do/Research Log.  She transcribes documents that she comes across for the person.  Every thing is dated in chronological order and easy to compare.  She does this before she actually enters the document as a source in the database so that she can compare it to other documents to make sure it is really for the correct person.

I understand how the Research Notes Report functions and I can basically do the same thing there but if it ends up not being for the correct person then it's some extra steps to delete the source, delete it from the person, etc....or leave it and note that it isn't the correct person, etc..  Also, in order to compare the information, you have to enter it, print the report to compare, then go in and delete what isn't right.  I know that fact notes can be used also but again you have to look at each one individually and it's a lot of clicking back and forth.

By putting it in the person note, as a sort of timeline, appeals to my need for seeing the visual all at once.  Plus I am able to save it as a .rtf file in word to create the written history and it's almost written for me, in a sense.  (Ok, there's a lot of cleaning up but at least I'm not starting from scratch)

Someone please tell me I haven't lost my mind and it's ok to use the program the way I need to use it.  Also, any other ideas are most welcome!!

Thanks,

Kim