Jump to content


cml492

Member Since 24 Mar 2016
Offline Last Active Jul 25 2017 02:01 PM
-----

Posts I've Made

In Topic: Standardising Place Names

04 April 2016 - 08:43 PM

This has been a very interesting and enlightening discussion. I have just finished 'cleaning' my Places - I wish I had read this topic BEFORE starting the cleanup.

 

I have a lot of St. Louis City, Missouri locations.  What is aggrevating is that after having geocoded, Splitting Details and 'Using Standard Names' and finally 'Merging' the duplicates.  The CountyCheck pops up when 'Saving' facts and offers the non-standard variants of the Saint Louis.   St. Louis City became its own county in 1886 and is sometimes it is referred to as 'Saint Louis,Saint Louis (Independent City),Missouri'   The standardize name is 'Saint Louis,Saint Louis (City),Missouri' and the the CountyChecker offers 'Saint Louis,St. Louis,Missouri' or 'Saint Louis,St. Louis City,Missouri'  I wish they'd both use the same standard! 


In Topic: Count Trees function...

04 April 2016 - 08:17 AM

As a retired sys prog - IBM Mainframe, I am not used to losing data.  Having finished my intitial attempt of cleanup and standardizing my place names, I was curious how FTM would now see my data.  I used RM export to gedcom and then in FTM 'Import as new tree' .  I rcv'd a very long list of errors, which seemed to be in two categories: 1) Gedcom tags as unsupported  2) place names were said to be invalid.    I had gone through and geocoded all places using the standard form of each place and followed up with manually merging the dups.  All of this means that I can't generate a gedcom and give it to a relative who may be using FTM.  

Any way this could have been avoided?


In Topic: Count Trees function...

01 April 2016 - 10:27 AM

Is this also true if you use the Drag and Drop Method?   Is there a technique which does NOT incur data loss?


In Topic: Count Trees function...

31 March 2016 - 10:59 AM

The first method I tried was to export the whole tree to a gedcom then imported it to LEGACY which has a 'renumber' function.  This caused a loss of important information like color and webtags and also introduced a number of errors on import.

Next I tried a variant of your suggestion.  1) export only the home person.  2) export the entire tree 3) import the Home person ged to a new tree.  4) renamed the Home person so I could easily recognize it.  5) imported the 'entire tree' ged into the new tree. 6) did a manual merge of the Home person and the renamed home person using the later as the primary. 7) renamed the 'renamed home person' back to its original name and deleted the Alt Name fact.

Now the Count Trees function shows my Home person.

The downside is that you will lose your Groups

Thanks for the suggestion.