Jump to content


Emilito

Member Since 05 Aug 2004
Offline Last Active Jul 13 2010 09:16 AM
-----

Topics I've Started

Estimating ages with "before, after, between, appx." dates

13 July 2010 - 09:16 AM

Even when dates are qualified (before 1844, between 1923 and 1938, etc), the calculated ages are presented as absolute E.g. for someone known to be born in 1800 that was listed as having died between 1850 and 1860, the current listing is "died between 1850 and 1860 at the age of 50" ... I would prefer that ages calculated by qualified dates be qualified themselves. E.g. that it say "died between 1850 and 1860 between the ages of 50 and 60") ... same for before, "before 1850 less than 50 years old", for after "after 1850 more than 50 years old" ... or something like that. (similarly for "approximately" ... )

Emil Signes

Corrupt Backup

21 May 2010 - 03:29 PM

Background: I am running RM 4 on XP running on Parallels on a Mac... I have been running RM this way for more than a year, perhaps two.This morning I updated to 4.0.8.4 (which I don't think had anything to do with my problem, but ... to give you all the info I have).

I was working on the db for the first time in a few weeks.

While I was working, I suddenly got a message that said "SQLite Error 11 - database is malformed" ... I couldn't get it to work again.

Roots Magic Support said this was a corrupt database and that I'd have to restore from a backup. My last backup was May 1. And this is probably the last time I worked on RM, so I wasn't too worried.

I restored the backup and everything seemed ok, and I was navigating around and everything seemed to work. Then, to check the number of records (I had this number 9539 in my head) I clicked on "File - Properties" ... and I got the SQLite Error 11 message again.

When I checked with RM Support I was told that you don't know if a backup is good till you restore it.

Well, that just fills me with terror ... I tried to export to GEDCOM, and it only got up to 570 people and then gave me the same error.

So - what do I do now? Yes, I know I can go back to the April backup, and then the March, etc ... but Lord knows what I'll have missed ... I've got a large part of my life invested in this entire project, and now it seems as though, even though I back up everytime I add a person or two, there is no guarantee that the backup is good ... What do I do to ensure that? Export every backup to GEDCOM and then reimport into another db?

It's a very frightening prospect and I hope someone out there has some suggestions!!

(PS - I'm pretty sure the db I have up right now has all the records in it - is there a way I can find out what the error is?)

Emil Signes

Search gives improper results

01 November 2009 - 07:03 PM

There are several aspects to this. The most glaring is the following. I have people in my database named "Goetz" ... when, however, I search for them, I type the letters "Go" and the search skips right by them (and also names like Godoy, Goldman, Goldstein, and goes to González. (granted there is an accented letter in González, but it is in the 5th place and should not affect this search.) I have to cursor back line by line to get to all these previous names. Other aspects of this topic - but not include the inability to use a generic letter to search for both the unaccented and accented versions, which was possible in RM3. This latter issue has been blamed on Unicode, but there is no reason for the former: Goetz should be found. I have shared my database with advanced and knowledgeable users and they too are baffled. None of these issues was present in RM3 and they are a huge problem.