There is not an RM8 slot yet in these forums, so I will post here. The first RM8 blog post has appeared. There is not a whole lot of new information yet, but here are my initial takeaways.
- Beta testing is in progress with users. There is no indication of when the testing beta testing first started. The fact that testing is in progress is good news.
- The blog entry includes a single screen capture from RM8. It's hard to gather too much information about the user interface from just a single static screen capture, but it definitely does appear to have a much more modern look and feel than RM7. My overall and very initial impression is very positive.
- The rendering of color coding appears to be much improved.
- It appears that you can tell who is highlighted by looking at the right panel, but it doesn't look like you can tell who is highlighted by looking at the main panel. The whole area of recognizing who was highlighted was a major weakness in RM7 in many situations, especially when using the side panel. It appears that efforts have been made to rectify this situation, but it's hard to tell for sure without a live system to play with.
- Some places on the screen have words, but at other places on the screen RM8 appears to have gone over to the dark side by having only icons. I hate user interfaces that only have icons and that don't have words. We will have to see if there are any options in this regard, and if not I'll have to see how well I can adapt to having only icons and not words.
- The color coding and the shape of the icons for sex seem to make sense. RM7 always seemed to get it backwards.