• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nvjack

nvjack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 11:37 PM

When I look up a place in the Family Atlas Gazetteer, the information I am looking for is displayed. However, I can't figure out how to copy and paste the information from Family Atlas to my RootsMagic Place List to update an incomplete place in edit mode. I have been using World Place Advisor for RootsMagic for several years and it is no problem to right-click a place and then select "Copy" and then paste the info into RootsMagic.

I am using RootsMagic version 4.1.1.3 (3 May 2011) and Family Atlas version 1.0.5.84 (21 Aug 2009).

Any suggestions?

Jack in Nevada

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7093 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 08:25 AM

Go into Lists and choose either Genealogy or Personal Places. Highlight the place and then click on the edit button. You will be able to copy the information there.
Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 09:11 AM

The best solution is correct place names in RootsMagic before importing the database into Family Atlas.

The Family Atlas Gazzeteer doesn't have a Copy to clipboard button like RootsMagic does.

In Family Atlas, you can go to List, Genealogy Places.

Click on the Geocode button and Family Atlas will geocode any places that it can. It then opens the Match Places screen.

On the Match Places screen, at the bottom, make sure the Remember this choice (add to the Personal Place list) box is checked

To copy the Match, you can Highlight a Place. Choose the Match in the right pane and press Control C on the keyboard to copy the Match to the windows keyboard.

Paste into a word processor. It will look like this:
Place Name Score
Allen, Pontotoc, Oklahoma, United States 0.625

Copy the "Allen, Pontotoc, Oklahoma, United States" and paste it into RootsMagic

Click on the Match place button.

When you are through matching all the Places for that session, close the Match Places screen
You can copy the Place name from the List, Personal Places screen.

On the Personal Place list, you can highlight a Place and press Control C on the keyboard.

When you paste into a word processor, you get this:

Place Name Matched To Latitude Longitude
Abbeville District, South Carolina Abbeville, Abbeville, South Carolina, United States 34.1780611 -82.3791694

Or you can edit the Place and copy the Place name, Matched to, Latitude or Longitude. This is also the only screen in Family Atlas where you can copy a Place name in RootsMagic and paste it into Family Atlas.

I use the Family Atlas Match Places screen to pinpoint Place names I need to work on in RootsMagic.