15 replies to this topic

#1 anro

anro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 07:04 AM

How do I log on to family search? I went to Family Search.org but could not find where to regester. Is it part of the Mormans? Do I have to regester with their group? If so can I use it without contacting the Mormans?

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 3903 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:01 AM

If you are trying to use FamilySearch Central or the FamilySearch tree icon next to individuals names it is accessing the http://new.familysearch.org website. You would need to go to that website to obtain a login. It is in very limited public release so you might not have access.

To use the classic www.familysearch.org website in RootsMagic use the WebSearch tab.
Renee
RootsMagic

#3 anro

anro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 11:29 AM

I was trying to use the one as described on the "webinar" but it wanted me to long on and I can't see where to find out where to register. Have looked on family search.org but can't see anything

#4 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2042 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 12:23 PM

anro, there's a link to register at the other site that Renee posted, above -- http://new.familysearch.org . However, unless you're an LDS member, you generally won't be able to use nFS until it's rolled out to the general public, which is expected to occur sometime later this year.

#5 anro

anro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 01:07 PM

What is a LDS member? I have changed my roots magic to LDS as per the webinar and the icons have come up

#6 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5731 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 01:20 PM

The way I understand it it that LDS is the Later Day Saints or Mormon church.

In my opinion they really confused a lot of people by having the Family Search open to everyone then starting a new facility using a the same name with NEW in front of it.
They are NOT THE SAME THING. anyone can use the Family Search, the NEW Family Search is a different animal and only specific LDS members are using and testing at the present time.

I really don't know much about it, other than that I cannot use it yet. BUT, I can go to the WEBSEARCH tab and choose Family Search and get to the original Family Search to pick some information from their archives.
Alfred

#7 anro

anro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 02:51 PM

If I do this will it work like the Webiner which looks really good in picking up other family members

#8 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2042 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 03:26 PM

Once nFS is opened up to the general public, yes, you'll be able to use the functionality seen in the webinar. Before that time, however, only LDS members* are able to use it.

* Some non-LDS members were chosen as part of the beta-testing group, so have been given early access. Not sure, but indexers and/or Family History Center volunteers may also have access.

#9 anro

anro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 03:44 PM

I am sorry don't understand, why is it there if we can't use it and why were we advised that there was a Webinar to see so we would know how to use it. If it was for limited consumption surely it should not be open and should be restricted to those who are reviewing it.
It seems that roots magic 4 was sold to the public before it was ready for general use.

#10 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5731 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 05:18 PM

It is a little like so many things that are promised or proposed.
It is taking longer to get it working than they thought it would.

I think that RootsMagic was working under the assumption that NFS would be ready shortly after RootsMagic 4 was released.
Alfred

#11 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 3903 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:31 AM

The webinar was intended for those that have access to new FamilySearch http://new.familysearch.org , and those that will have access as the beta group is enlarged. If you sign up for NFS at the website above you may get access sooner than the general public since they will be enlarging the beta group from time to time.

If you want to turn off the FamilySearch or LDS features go to Tools>File Options>FamilySearch and uncheck the "enable FamilySearch support". Also go to Tools>File Options>General and uncheck LDS support.
Renee
RootsMagic

#12 KenCRoy

KenCRoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 10:08 AM

If you are trying to use FamilySearch Central or the FamilySearch tree icon next to individuals names it is accessing the http://new.familysearch.org website. You would need to go to that website to obtain a login. It is in very limited public release so you might not have access.

To use the classic www.familysearch.org website in RootsMagic use the WebSearch tab.

While the new FamilySearch site now allows one to register, unless one is a member of the LDS church, one cannot login with the credentials created.

So this capability is not yet available to non church members. Too bad since some of us would be willing to test the interface from a non-church member perspective and to provide feedback.

#13 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2042 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 12:00 PM

Beta testing for some non-LDS members was first opened up back in February earlier this year:

http://ancestryinsid...ase-begins.html

#14 KenCRoy

KenCRoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 03:41 PM

Beta testing for some non-LDS members was first opened up back in February earlier this year:

http://ancestryinsid...ase-begins.html

Well, looking at the announcement, this appears to be very different that what I expected.

I don't really want to be build a tree on the FamilySearch web site, but would like to be able to search, their databases.

#15 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 3903 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 04:14 PM

Right now NFS searches the IGI, Ancestral File, Pedigree Resource File, and a few other LDS databases. The Historical records on www.familysearch.org will be added later.

You can use the WebSearch feature in RootsMagic to search www.familysearch.org historical records.
Renee
RootsMagic

#16 KenCRoy

KenCRoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 05:55 AM

Right now NFS searches the IGI, Ancestral File, Pedigree Resource File, and a few other LDS databases. The Historical records on www.familysearch.org will be added later.

You can use the WebSearch feature in RootsMagic to search www.familysearch.org historical records.

Thanks Renee,

I guess I thought this was the replacement for a pilot search program that I had accessed previously, I just don't remember where or how that allowed viewing of original records like the Drouin Collection some of which were not yet indexed.

I much prefer searching original records than the IGI and Ancestral File.

Ken