6 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin Wornell

Kevin Wornell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 02:47 PM

I would like to import a large number of files that contain census, marriage, military, etc. information into Roots Magic. Working with the Media Gallery all I can find is that I have to import these files one at a time. Is there a way to import multiple files into the Media Gallery en masse so that they are available to be linked to the corresponding facts?

Kevin

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 04:18 PM

No there is not, yet, though I believe an enhancement request has already been registered for some future upgrade.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 mfseeker

mfseeker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 01:33 PM

No there is not, yet, though I believe an enhancement request has already been registered for some future upgrade.

I hope so. I'm in the same situation.

#4 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 03:02 PM

I do not see the advantage of adding a bunch of items to the gallery at one time.
You would then have to add each of them to the individual to which they are relevant, one at a time.

Why not add each of them to the relevant person as you go, they will be added to the gallery at that time.

Changing the setting the Folders in the Program Option to the storage location of the collection would make adding them to the individuals at least as easy as working from RootsMagic's gallery.
Alfred

#5 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 03:31 AM

I do not see the advantage of adding a bunch of items to the gallery at one time.

A speedier process would seem to be at two points:

1. Instead of choosing each filename and adding individually, then going back and repeating. Just hold down <Shift> key while clicking first image filename (of a batch to be loaded at once) then clicking last image filename (of a batch to be loaded at once) to highlight/mark all desired filenames (Windows individual CTRL-click "additive" method could work here too) then <Open> button adds the batch to the gallery in one fell swoop. Lot less clicking to get all images into the gallery than stepping throught the Windows <Open> dialog window for each file.

2. Prompt for Media properties entry screen could appear only once, at the end of batch loading images to gallery, instead of each time one image is added and could even be optional (i.e. done at a separate/later time; eg. Properties NOW? [Y/N]). Separating these two operations allows users to more quickly move to linking individuals with the desired images from the gallery and (optionally) entering the Media properties for those added images (all at once / individually during linking / at a later time)

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#6 mfseeker

mfseeker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 07:45 AM

A speedier process would seem to be at two points:

1. Instead of choosing each filename and adding individually, then going back and repeating. Just hold down <Shift> key while clicking first image filename (of a batch to be loaded at once) then clicking last image filename (of a batch to be loaded at once) to highlight/mark all desired filenames (Windows individual CTRL-click "additive" method could work here too) then <Open> button adds the batch to the gallery in one fell swoop. Lot less clicking to get all images into the gallery than stepping throught the Windows <Open> dialog window for each file.

2. Prompt for Media properties entry screen could appear only once, at the end of batch loading images to gallery, instead of each time one image is added and could even be optional (i.e. done at a separate/later time; eg. Properties NOW? [Y/N]). Separating these two operations allows users to more quickly move to linking individuals with the desired images from the gallery and (optionally) entering the Media properties for those added images (all at once / individually during linking / at a later time)

This was the first approach that I tried. It doesn't work for me. Have you actually tried it? If so, there may be something funny about my installation.

#7 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 10:01 AM

This was the first approach that I tried. It doesn't work for me. Have you actually tried it? If so, there may be something funny about my installation.

Oh ...it is NOT implemented this way (supported), as of yet, in any version of the program, sorry. I was merely describing your "thinking" and Windows conventions (in many other programs) as a possible change in the future.

---
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N