• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 CLapsley

CLapsley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 07:28 AM

Would like to be able to use the Gazeteer while typing in event data for individuals instead of having to close the entry screen to open the Gazeteer, then close it to re-open the individual entry screen.

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6263 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 08:53 AM

Hear! Hear!

Likewise for many other screens - one of the most frustrating things working with RootsMagic is the drilling down and back up and down and back up because windows are exclusive or whatever the word is.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 12:56 PM

It would be nice if the Gazetteer was a standalone application that could run concurrently with RM and perhaps have an import ability from RM. Aside from a tabbed interface (like RM has implemented in "some" places), I really can't think of very many programs that actually ever have multiple "screens" that open all at once.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#4 John James

John James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 04:40 PM

It would be nice if the Gazetteer was a standalone application that could run concurrently with RM and perhaps have an import ability from RM. Aside from a tabbed interface (like RM has implemented in "some" places), I really can't think of very many programs that actually ever have multiple "screens" that open all at once.

Multiple screens is a yes for me and I would like Gazateer to have like a custom spell check factor where it woulkd hold user entries which ythe user is happyu with.

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8490 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 11:05 AM

Confirming enhancement requests are in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

#6 LoriS

LoriS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 04:40 AM

Even though this is an old thread, I have another suggestion -- while in the Gazetteer it would be nice if hitting ENTER would begin the search as opposed to having to click the "Search" button.

#7 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 11:24 AM

Even though this is an old thread, I have another suggestion -- while in the Gazetteer it would be nice if hitting ENTER would begin the search as opposed to having to click the "Search" button.

Alt-S key combination is indicated on the Search button as the means to initiate., but I agree that Enter key should also do the same when focus is in that Search for: text box.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#8 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3432 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 12:16 PM

Alt-S key combination is indicated on the Search button as the means to initiate., but I agree that Enter key should also do the same when focus is in that Search for: text box.

A more manageable standalone Place List combined with better integration with the Gazetteer gets my vote along with any functionality changes which makes workflow quicker and more intuitive.

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#9 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 01:34 PM

When I want to use the Gazetteer, I am usually in the Place list or the Edit person screen. It is about equal.

I would like to have access to the Gazetteer from the Edit Place screen. And would prefer to also have access on the Place list screen.

It would save having to back out of those screens and go to the main screen to access the Gazetteer from the Tools menu or a button on the Toolbar.

And, when, in a Edit person screen, I could click on the Place list icon and use the Gazetteer from either the Place list or Edit Place screens.

It would be helpful if the Place name and maybe the Standardized place name were to be automatically filled in the Edit place screen when pressing an "add name to Place" button in Gazetteer. Then if you wanted to add, say, County, into the Place name, you could do so.

Although, I would settle with opening Gazetteer and clicking on the Copy to Clipboard and pasting it into the Place name myself.

I don't think I would want the Place name or Standardized place name autofilled if Gazetteer was accessed from the Place list. Perhaps the "add name to Place" button in the Gazetteer could be grayed out. I would prefer any actual changes to a Place be made with the Edit person screen open. I might not notice changes were made from the Place list.

I would probably access Gazetteer from the main screen about .099% of the times I access it if access were available from the Edit Place and/or Place list screens.

#10 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8490 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 11:26 AM

Confirming additional enhancement requests are in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

#11 Bernie

Bernie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 04:15 PM

I strongly agree with all of the preceding thoughts and comments regarding use of the Gazeteer.  I am currently using RootsMagic Version 7 with a rather large database that was created over many years.  I am struggeling to update my place list to include correct counties. I would LOVE to have direct access to Gazeteer from the place list.  PLEASE.

#12 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3432 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 07:16 PM

I strongly agree with all of the preceding thoughts and comments regarding use of the Gazeteer.  I am currently using RootsMagic Version 7 with a rather large database that was created over many years.  I am struggeling to update my place list to include correct counties. I would LOVE to have direct access to Gazeteer from the place list.  PLEASE.

An integrated Place List, Mapping, Gazetteer, County Check etc is long long overdue in my opinion. Whilst Rootsmagic has a good compliment of Place related utilities the fragmented evolution of the program rather than integration of like features has created the many user frustrations. One would not be so frustrated in looking for additional windows if all Place related features were handled professionally on one UI. The Place management of a competitor 2012 version is much superior to Rootsmagic as can be seen below.

https://www.youtube....h?v=KhukmVNAgFY

Enhancement requests in this area date back to the release of RM4 back in March 2009 or before, they 6 years old or more so don't hold your breath.

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root