• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 J. Brooks

J. Brooks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 04:09 PM

I've noticed that when I use the Stillborn fact type no birth or death dates are displayed in the Edit Person window. It would be helpful if the birth/death date was automatically filled in so that it doesn't look like that info is missing.

#2 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1640 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 05:05 PM

I've noticed that when I use the Stillborn fact type no birth or death dates are displayed in the Edit Person window. It would be helpful if the birth/death date was automatically filled in so that it doesn't look like that info is missing.

That is to be filled in.

I only use the birth fact and death fact. On the death fact in the description use the word "stillborn". see no advantage to using the Stillborn fact.

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#3 decann

decann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 05:58 PM

J. Brooks -- Think about what you are saying here. If a fetus is "stillborn," then there IS NO BIRTH because it dies in the womb, it is stillborn. By definition, stillborn means there was no birth, and thus no death, and so the stillborn fact correctly leaves them out. If there is a BIRTH to record, then that is what the birth (and subsequently death) facts are for.

#4 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:05 PM

J. Brooks -- Think about what you are saying here. If a fetus is "stillborn," then there IS NO BIRTH because it dies in the womb, it is stillborn. By definition, stillborn means there was no birth, and thus no death, and so the stillborn fact correctly leaves them out. If there is a BIRTH to record, then that is what the birth (and subsequently death) facts are for.

decann, your statement should correctly read: "If a fetus is "stillborn," then there IS NO LIVE BIRTH because it dies in the womb, it is stillborn"

It should seem quite obvious by the very use of the term "stillborn" that one is describing a child born "still" (unmoving, lifeless, dead). The term "born" describes the physical expulsion of the child from the womb, no matter the subsequent result. The term is necessary to make distinctions between a live birth, stillbirth or miscarriage. For genealogical purposes, the birth and death are recorded as occuring at the same time.

#5 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3458 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:47 PM

Because birth and death dates are the same in a stillborn event ...the RootsMagic Stillborn fact implements only one date, PERIOD. Using it is optional.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#6 John James

John James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 03:41 PM

I agree that the stillborn fact should be used, if the birth and death dates are the same it would indicate a live birth and maybe death up to 24 hours later. What did surprise me was that automatic sorting of the stillborn event did not happen andf I had to sorth the "expululsion from the womb" events manually.