• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 darnovo

darnovo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 08:31 AM

I am working with two separate databases that are similar. One has some data that the other doesn't and so on an so forth. Is there a way for RootsMagic to merge these two databases together so that it uses all the information and makes sure they are both identical? Thanks

#2 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1655 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 09:15 AM

I am working with two separate databases that are similar. One has some data that the other doesn't and so on an so forth. Is there a way for RootsMagic to merge these two databases together so that it uses all the information and makes sure they are both identical? Thanks

not without a lot of work.....
My way would be to create a gedcom of each of them.
  • Save it
  • one gedcom as a back up [the database you are importing into.
  • Import one of the gedcom's into the other one. Remembering which one you did the gedcom from.
  • Run the Merge capabilities and see what you get.
  • Usually a bit of cleanup with facts and if names are not identical from one database to the other, they will not merge.

This is how I would do it. Others may do it differently.

Depending on how many of the persons are different you can do....

put the two databases side by side in Explorer Window and find the differences and just pick up that person and drop into the other database. Sometimes it is simpler this way. Less clean up.

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#3 darnovo

darnovo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 09:40 AM

not without a lot of work.....
My way would be to create a gedcom of each of them.

• Save it
  • one gedcom as a back up [the database you are importing into.
  • Import one of the gedcom's into the other one. Remembering which one you did the gedcom from.
  • Run the Merge capabilities and see what you get.
  • Usually a bit of cleanup with facts and if names are not identical from one database to the other, they will not merge.

This is how I would do it. Others may do it differently.

Depending on how many of the persons are different you can do....

put the two databases side by side in Explorer Window and find the differences and just pick up that person and drop into the other database. Sometimes it is simpler this way. Less clean up.

thats what im currently doing at the moment, but I have upwards of 50,000 names in each database... going to be awhile :(

#4 John James

John James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 03:24 PM

thats what im currently doing at the moment, but I have upwards of 50,000 names in each database... going to be awhile :(

RM4 has more information than previous versions and more possibilities for attachments, there are problems which have not been overcome although they have been highlited a long time ago so proceed with caution and be aware of what you might lose, see this thread http://forums.rootsm...c/9533-merging/