10 replies to this topic

#1 reborrell

reborrell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 08:48 AM

I've created several groups from my database.

One contains every minister in my database and has a few hundred people in it.

It there a way to globally create a 'fact' for everyone in this database or do I have to add the fact individually which takes a long time.

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6250 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 09:27 AM

Not from within RM4.

You could export a GEDCOM of just this named group with the barest of info but with RootsMagic features checked. Use some kind of search and replace functionality in a text editor to add an event to each person in the GEDCOM file. Re-import and ShareMerge. But then you might have an equal amount of work cleaning up duplications of other stuff as you would manually adding the event to each person within RM.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 reborrell

reborrell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 01:24 PM

Thanks, I didn't think there was an easy solution. The crazy thing is that well over 20 years ago, PAF in it's initial stages was able to do that function, plus several others that RM can't do. For what PAF couldn't do, 3rd party developers stepped in and designed. I love RM, but find it frustrating at times for thing that would be relatively easy to do. If in programing they grabbed all of the persons checked, created a temp file, then added the event to the temp file and rewrote it back, I believe that might do the trick.

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6250 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 02:53 PM

I think it might be possible using a SQLite query outside RM4 but it really warrants a RM enhancement. I think Memorize and Paste Facts is on the wish list but the idea of pasting to a group of persons might be new. Renee?

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 reborrell

reborrell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 03:22 PM

thanks for the fast reply. It would be a huge feature.

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6250 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 03:30 PM

I just succeeded in copying an Event from one person to a named group of persons using a SQLite query. This query does not include copying Source and Media links: copying the Source link is quite doable outside RM but not the Media link due to proprietary collation sequence for indexing the caption field. Here's the query:
INSERT INTO EventTable (EventType, OwnerType, OwnerID, FamilyID, PlaceID, SiteID, Date, SortDate, 
IsPrimary, IsPrivate, Proof, Status, EditDate, Sentence, Details, Note)
SELECT EventType, OwnerType, N.OwnerID, FamilyID, PlaceID, SiteID, Date, SortDate,
IsPrimary, IsPrivate, Proof, Status, EditDate, Sentence, Details, Note
FROM (SELECT N.OwnerID FROM NameTable N, GroupTable WHERE N.OwnerID >=StartID AND N.OwnerID <= EndID AND GroupID=1) N,
EventTable E WHERE EventID=85;

You need to know the GroupID of the named group, the EventID of the person's fact to be copied and substitute these in the query (mine were 1 and 85, respectively). The GroupID is the LabelID of the LabelName corresponding to the name of the Group in the LabelTable table. The EventID is easily found if it the last fact entered - it's the EventID of the last row in the table EventTable.

I'll post this to the Wiki for further discussion or refinement.

Suffice to say, it's a pretty trivial query.

#7 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 05:11 PM

Since I seem to have more time than sense, I decided to try to add a fact to a group of people.
The GEDCOM should work, but sometimes I get a whole bunch of duplicated facts that way.
SO, I created a new, empty database, name it "No Facts to GED" and edited each fact so it wouldn't be exported to a GEDCOM file.
-- Woops, there are no user defined facts there, SO, I went to the main database, created "!!!John" and added every user defined fact to him, some were family facts so I had to give him "!!!Jane" as a spouse to add those. (I used an asterisk "*" as the first character of my user defined facts so they were easy to find.). -- Finally, I drag and drop !!!John and descendants and spouses to my new empty database where I delete him and !!!Jane and edit those user defined facts so they don't export to a GEDCOM file either.
NOW, I backup this new empty database in case I might want to use it later with a different group or fact.

I couldn't think of a group of people to whom I wanted to add a universal fact. I finally decided to add an Ancestor fact to my father's ancestors.
I dragged my father and his ancestors to the new database and exported everyone from there to a GEDCOM file, "NO FACTS.GED" un-marking notes sources and everything else even items specific for RM4. (KISS)

I opened this ED file with NoteTab Light - it will do a search and replace with carriage feeds where WordPad won't (MS Word would work but it costs money)

At the end of the GEDCOM file, just before the last line: "0 TRLR" I added:

0 _EVDEF Ancestor
1 TYPE P
1 TITL *Ancestor
1 ABBR Ancestor
1 SENT [Person] was a direct ancestor of [Desc]< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>< [Date]>.
1 PLAC Y
1 DATE Y
1 DESC Y

Then I went to the top of the file and did a search and replace:
Search for: 1 _UID
Replace with: 1 EVEN Alfred Sr.^P2 TYPE Ancestor^P1 _UID

Replace all.
Save it.

Backed up my main database -- Just in case...
Imported the revised GEDCOM file.
Did an automatic merge, unmarking the smart merge, so it is only a share merge to save time.

Now, all of my father's ancestors have an ancestor fact with the description filled in with "Alfred Sr."

I could have changed the date and place to N and left them out of the sentence template but this works.
----------------
It would be simpler if you were adding a built in fact to a group, you wouldn't need to define the fact at the end of the GEDCOM file.
I had to study the way a user defined fact was represented in a regular GEDCOM to come up with this.
----------------
Now, you can delete the temporary "No Facts to GED" database. You will have the blank backup in case you ever have a reason to use it.
You might as well delete the GEDCOM file too, or your computer will begin to fill up and look like mine. :o
Alfred

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6250 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 08:19 PM

I'll post this to the Wiki for further discussion or refinement.

Now copies the Fact AND its Sources to the persons in the Named Group. Full story at http://sqlitetoolsfo...y Fact to Group.:P

#9 reborrell

reborrell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 08:25 PM

Thanks for everyone's help.

#10 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8450 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 12:36 PM

I think it might be possible using a SQLite query outside RM4 but it really warrants a RM enhancement. I think Memorize and Paste Facts is on the wish list but the idea of pasting to a group of persons might be new. Renee?

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

#11 John James

John James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 12:53 PM

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system.

I hate to be controversial but does anything ever come out of the tracking system? there have been many many excellent ideas added which are very obvious NEEDS to make the program complete and useable but there the months and years just roll on without anything being put in place. <_<