8 replies to this topic

#1 dargie

dargie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 06:21 PM

Somehow I have a complete duplication of one person. The family group sheet shows him twice as a child. All details are the same parents, spouse, children etc.

The situation does not show up as a duplication or a problem from Tools. When I go to Merge " Manual Merge" and fill the same name in as a duplicate I receive the message on screen "The Primary and duplicate records cannot be the same entry"
The duplication does not show up if I use automatic merges.
However the same person appears twice on my family group sheet as mentioned above.
How do I get rid of one of these entries?
Thanks
Marj.

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3464 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 06:46 PM

Click on the individual in question. Once highlighted, observe the upper left corner block immediately to the left of the individual's name and other information. The words Spouses and Parents are shown with a number to their right. This is how many of each the individual is linked to. If more than one, you can click the black dropdown arrow beside a number and confirm that both sets of parents match. That being the case, just click:

Edit -> Unlink -> From Parents

in the toolbar at the top of the RootsMagic screen. Voila, double-linking gone!

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 dargie

dargie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:06 PM

Click on the individual in question. Once highlighted, observe the upper left corner block immediately to the left of the individual's name and other information. The words Spouses and Parents are shown with a number to their right. This is how many of each the individual is linked to. If more than one, you can click the black dropdown arrow beside a number and confirm that both sets of parents match. That being the case, just click:

Edit -> Unlink -> From Parents

in the toolbar at the top of the RootsMagic screen. Voila, double-linking gone!

#4 dargie

dargie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:08 PM

Thanks for the reply
John Holden does come up with two sets of parents but when I click unlink from parents both Johns are highlighted. I don't want to lose him altogether just his troublesome shadow!
I am doing something wrong!

#5 Viking

Viking

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:31 PM

The way I do it is to change one of the person's name, then manual merge and then delete the alternate name that you don't want.

#6 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 08:13 PM

When the same person is linked to his parents more than once, you have to unlink him from his parents. Which seems to unlink both instances, therefore you have to relink him to his parents.

After he is unlinked, he will be the one highlighted on the main view. In the Family, pedigree or descendant view, just press the p key to add parents, select existing person and choose his father, you are shown his father's spouse(s) and can choose the family to which to add him, an existing one or a new combination.
Alfred

#7 dargie

dargie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:41 PM

Thank you I have done as you suggested.
It certainly got rid of double John but now all his siblings have disappeared!If I go to Search they are all there listed under the parents but they are not on the main page now for John with the correct parents.

#8 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3464 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:44 PM

Disconnect him from those (all) parents. Then add him back as a child to the family (onscreen) where all his siblings are shown already connected to his parents. Either that or you have two sets of the same parents in your database (check their record numbers beside their names to see if they're different).

Tools -> File Options -> General -> Number to diplay after name -> Record number (RIN)

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#9 dargie

dargie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:51 PM

Disconnect him from those (all) parents. Then add him back as a child to the family (onscreen) where all his siblings are shown already connected to his parents. Either that or you have two sets of the same parents in your database (check their record numbers beside their names to see if they're different).

Tools -> File Options -> General -> Number to diplay after name -> Record number (RIN)

Great got that all sorted Thanks. However I now have two sets of Johns parents!!
I will try and sort that one out for myself!!