34 replies to this topic

#1 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8493 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 01:07 PM

We are experimenting with individual topics and letting our users express their thoughts and suggestions for the subject. Let us know how you feel RootsMagic could be improved in the RootsMagic Media Gallery area.
Renee
RootsMagic

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 02:05 PM

Left pane could be a tabbed window interface for -> Image / File / Sound / Video / All ...with name sorting and scrollbar to quickly narrow actions to just the filetype desired. Media Properties window could be a sortable and scrollable list of the Media file paths. Sorting or scrolling actions initiated upon the Media Properties window would adjust the thumbnails in the left pane and vice versa (sorting thumbnails would depict the Media Properties paths in the order from the left pane). Maybe a dropbox filled with each unique filepath to quickly allow user to see thumbs from only that directory.

Edited by kbens0n, 28 March 2011 - 02:25 PM.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 02:50 PM

Some prior discussions linked here:

http://forums.rootsm...-media-gallery/

http://forums.rootsm...dpost__p__37423

http://forums.rootsm...gallery-option/

http://www.vyger.co....ia-gallery.html

http://forums.rootsm...y-enhancements/

http://forums.rootsm...dpost__p__40974

http://forums.rootsm...dpost__p__39632

http://forums.rootsm...20-media-tools/

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 MVS

MVS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 04:09 AM

Just going over the Media Gallery again for a fresh look and here are my comments:

a) The "Properties" button needs to be added so that properties can be updated from within the Media Gallery list. It is bizarre that it is not displayed there and you have to go off to a record itself to get access to this button so that you can update the information. We need to be able to review all our media properties in one place and be able to update/correc tthem easily.

B) The Media Properties pane on the right only appears to show the file path of the image. It needs to contain all the media properties; windows stiff like file sizes, dates etc. as well as all the internal RM media properties like Caption and description etc.

c) the thumbnails can be resized but they are held in too low a resolution to be useful. OK when the media is a headshot of a photo and you can make out who it is - but if it is a census page of a page of text then you can only discern what it really contains by going to the edit box. A higher resolution is required as well as a larger size. Look at Google Picassa to see the flexibility that this free software offers.

c2) just to make it clear - the largest thumbnail size is not large enough. It needs to be largerr (for things like census pages etc) and it needs a hogher resolution to make it useful, point C) above.

d) must be a full set of sort and select features; on the windows data as well as the RM properties data.

e) needs a feature to show me what files are NOT being used in RM. ie to be able to select directories/sub directories where I keep my images and let me know which files are not being referred to in the RM database. This will help me make sure all my information is referred to and that unwanted files can be deleted.

f) Need print functions that list files, where they are held, where they are used within RM (incluiding where they are SHARED events) as well as their Windows and RM properties. Need flexibility on sorting and selection within these reports.

g) Perhaps, when you "hover", over a file name that cannot be fitted within the available space below the thumbnail the system would display the full name and directory address. I know this information is shown on the pane on the right but it is not in the line of vision and not very convenient there.

h) PDF's need to be shown properly as a thumbnail; ie the contents not just a sign telling me it is a PDF. There may be other file types which need top be allowed for as well; but PDF handling improvements are vital.

i) To show where the media is used you have to first press the "Tools" button and then select "show where media is used". The information then just says the name of the person. Not only could all this information be automatically shown in the right hand "Media Pane" so that all this button pressing would not be required but it also nees to show the full information; all the individuals where it is a SHARED event and not just the name of the individual but the event it is recorded against; eg "Fred Bloggs, WILL, 23 March 1861, Andover", type of thing.

j) If the media caption and other RM internal properties were displayed automatically in the right hand media pane then perhaps they could be updated directly there.

The interesting thing about all these points is that I am not asking for more information to be stored - I just want to be able to see it, get at it, sort on it, select on it, report on it and update it - all from the one place.

At the moment 95% if the media information is hidden - and that is why I do not use the Media Gallery at all.

MVS.

#5 John James

John James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 01:43 PM

Just going over the Media Gallery again for a fresh look and here are my comments:

I agree with everything said here especially the detailed answer above. But these main 4 topics have been discvussed for a long time now and nothing has happened, I don't understand. Are people wasting there time making detailed and very good suggestions if they seem to be falling on deaf ears?

#6 MVS

MVS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 03:21 AM

Could not agree more with John James's sentiments.

My only hope is that becuase Renee is posting these questions on the baord - ie asking us for our views - it is because "The Powers that Be" have decided they are going to put some programming resource behind them.

I think there is a great deal of agreement of improvement in all the areas in which the users have been asked for their views - so there really is no excuse not to make these improvement happen.

I would guess they will appear in Version 5 of RM ( it is, after all, 2 years since the last release). But if they dont all appear - then what will we make of it and our future involvement in these Wish List bulletin boards?

I look forward to Renee posting additional requests for:

i) REPORTING IMPROVEMENTS.
ii) SHARED EVENTS
iii) CENSUS EVENT HANDLING
iv) GEOMAPPING (but it would be useful to have an understanding from the "Powers That Be" of the dividing line between what goes into RM and what is expected to be delivered by Family ATLAS. (I have never used the FamilyATLAS product as there appears to be no way to trial it to assess its capabilities).

MVS.

#7 John James

John James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 01:19 PM

My only hope is that becuase Renee is posting these questions on the baord - ie asking us for our views - it is because "The Powers that Be" have decided they are going to put some programming resource behind them.

I share that hope although the one thing not pinned is the place management which was a big subject previously still needs much improvement.

I would guess they will appear in Version 5 of RM ( it is, after all, 2 years since the last release). But if they dont all appear - then what will we make of it and our future involvement in these Wish List bulletin boards?

I have not been on the board for some time as I got fed up with lack of movement on hot issues. I would like to think that beta UI's are being tested but I remain a sceptic. I also remember many users that just don't seem to be arround any more or are very infrequent posters, I think it has all been said.

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8493 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 01:09 PM

Just wanted to let you know I'm not ignoring your request for more pinned topics. I am just afraid if I pin too many topics that it will be difficult for newer forum users to see the space below them for miscellaneous wish list items. I have to ponder on this for a bit.
Renee
RootsMagic

#9 KenCRoy

KenCRoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 04:58 PM

Just wanted to let you know I'm not ignoring your request for more pinned topics. I am just afraid if I pin too many topics that it will be difficult for newer forum users to see the space below them for miscellaneous wish list items. I have to ponder on this for a bit.

I don't think it really matters until some of the wish list items start showing up in the product. Very few Issues and Wish List items added to your tracking system seem to make it in any of the upgrades released recently.

Of course it might all be used for the RootsMagic 5 and we have no way of knowing. If the pinning of topics is feeding the next version it might be worth it. Only time will tell.

#10 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3611 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 07:49 AM

I think that so far, you have achieved a pretty good balance. You have about the right number of pinned topics, not too many, not too few. Just like Goldilocks.

Jerry

#11 John James

John James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 04:43 PM

I would like to see previews, thumbnails of pdf files as windows now displays.

#12 enp8403

enp8403

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 11:21 AM

It would be great to be able to print a few items from the media in a narrative report - other than the single primary picture or scrapbook at the very end.

#13 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3611 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 07:32 AM

It would be great to be able to print a few items from the media in a narrative report - other than the single primary picture or scrapbook at the very end.

It occurs to me that there are really two separate issues here. RM3 had media support but it did not have a Media Gallery. If RM4 had never been released and if we were all still on RM3, your suggestion that "it would be great to be able to print a few items from the media in a narrative report - other than the single primary picture or scrapbook at the very end...." would still be a wonderful suggestion. For example, I frequently wish that a tombstone photograph could be printed out along with the burial fact.

So I don't think this suggestion really has much if anything to do with the Media Gallery. There are many new features in RM4, and most of the new features are quite wonderful. But to me, the Media Gallery is a new feature in RM4 that's not so wonderful. It seems to me that it provides no additional value to RM4, and indeed I think it provides negative value to RM4. I would prefer that any efforts to improve the media area of RM4 be focused on improving "media support" such as your suggestion to be able to print more media items in the main text of a narrative report rather than the efforts being focused on the Media Gallery itself.

Jerry

#14 cap624

cap624

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 07:33 AM

Media Gallery: re-connecting broken links

Occasionally I will move a file in my Media Gallery to a different folder, and I get frustrated when RM spends a lot of time searching the entire drive, when I know where I moved the file to. I would like a "search this folder only" hint when RM attempts to re-establish the pathname to the file. That way, the searches will take less time, and RM won't be looking in all the wrong places. If the file can't be found in the given directory, then do a disk-wide search.

#15 paulcito

paulcito

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 12:31 PM

I would like to see a more intuitive use of media when assigned to multiple items (better integration), perhaps similiar to the way a Source Citation can be "Memorized" then pasted into a different Fact.

For example:
Lets say I have an image from a certified copy of the marriage certificate for the Smith family, which I add to the Media Gallery.
Then I add the Marriage Fact to Mr. and Mrs. Smith, and I add the certificate citation to the Source list as proof of the marriage fact, using the template "Vital Records (state, certificates, online)".

I currently have several options for attaching my image:
- I can add it as a "Master source media" item for the marriage Source -- it will print in a scrapbook of the Source "Vital Records";
- I can add it as a "Detail source media" item for the marriage Source -- it will not print anywhere.
- I can add it directly to the Marriage fact as a media item -- it will print in a scrapbook of the family (but not in a scrapbook of the husband and wife separately)

Right now for each case above, although i can re-use the image straight from the Media Gallery once imported, the Caption, Date and Reference Number fields for each are not linked or remember, and have to be re-entered for each case. There should be a way to memorize or reuse the Caption Date etc each time I re-use an image.

Also, if I have the image attached to the Source details item "Vital Records", that should be enough for it to appear in the Family scrapbook, instead of adding it to the Marriage fact. If the Marriage fact is supported by a Source and that source has Media attached, why not include that image in the scrapbook?
And although Facts such as Census, Residence and Marriage are defined as belonging to the "family" not the individual, it would be nice to be able to include "family" items in a person scrapbook of Mr. Smith only. Maybe this could be optional.

Thanks!

#16 Pat1939

Pat1939

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 07:15 PM

How about the ability to optionally display a list instead of thumbnails?

#17 ghostchaser

ghostchaser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 03:31 AM

I agree 100% with all said my MVS. RM also needs to be able to allow users to have greater use of the images in reports in particular the narrative report e.g. wedding photos for a wedding event.

Having some experience in developing software I am aware of the often unknown realities of developing software, however RM (like all developers)must let people know where their suggestions are going or they will go ..... to a competitors product.

#18 APerson

APerson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 04:33 AM

I first made this suggestion two years ago (Dec. 13, 2009) - I'd really like to see thumbnails of the front page of .pdf documents in the media, similar to way graphics files are displayed.

#19 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3611 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:29 AM

I'd really like to see thumbnails of the front page of .pdf documents in the media, similar to way graphics files are displayed.

I have a hard time seeing how this Wish could be implemented. PDF files are not graphics files. They are text files. The thing that's confusing in this regard is that many text file formats, including PDF, support the inclusion of embedded graphics files. It's especially confusing when there is a text file such as a PDF file that doesn't actually contain any text and which contains only one embedded graphics file. In this case, the text file such as a PDF file looks like a graphics file, feels like a graphics file, smells like a graphics file, and tastes like a graphic file. :) But it isn't a graphics file. It's a text file. How do you create a thumbnail for a text file?

Jerry

#20 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 10:32 AM

I have a hard time seeing how this Wish could be implemented. PDF files are not graphics files. They are text files. The thing that's confusing in this regard is that many text file formats, including PDF, support the inclusion of embedded graphics files. It's especially confusing when there is a text file such as a PDF file that doesn't actually contain any text and which contains only one embedded graphics file. In this case, the text file such as a PDF file looks like a graphics file, feels like a graphics file, smells like a graphics file, and tastes like a graphic file. :) But it isn't a graphics file. It's a text file. How do you create a thumbnail for a text file?

Jerry

First of all, a PDF file is *NOT* a text file. You can't even read it in a simple text editor. A PDF file is Portable Document Format containing complete formatting and accompanying source file information of its components, which may include text, drawings, multimedia, video, 3D, maps, full-color graphics, photos, and even rules (logic).

RootsMagic doesn't look inside the PDF to see what it contains ... it merely reads the file extension and should supply the appropriate thumbnail icon. Simple.