6 replies to this topic

#1 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 06:53 AM

If a vote were held to eliminate the Gallery from RM4, I would vote for it.
Jack

a posteriori

#2 John James

John James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 06:09 AM

If a vote were held to eliminate the Gallery from RM4, I would vote for it.

I would just like to see it improved to work as it needs to and be useful.

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3608 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 03:24 PM

I would just like to see it improved to work as it needs to and be useful.

I'm truly not trying to be argumentative, but I don't understand what purpose the Gallery serves. To me, the Windows file system is my Gallery, and the Windows file system works much better than the Gallery. So I just avoid the Gallery at all costs.

If the Gallery "worked as it needs to and is useful", what would it look like? And how would that be an improvement on the Windows file system? If it's not an improvement on the Windows file system, wouldn't it just be duplicate work on the part of the RM4 developers?

Perhaps this would be a good candidate for a permanently pinned discussion in the Wish List for "Improvements needed for the Gallery and Why the Improvements Would be Useful".

Jerry

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 08:55 PM

But Jerry, the Gallery and Windows Explorer serve two completely different purposes. Explorer knows absolutely nothing about which files are used by the RM database while that's all the Gallery knows about. The Gallery would benefit from being more Explorer-like or more Picasa-like with folder views, album or library views, scrapbook views, etc.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 MVS

MVS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 09:27 AM

The Gallery in its current form is absolutely useless and I do not use it. Therefore the work it does is an overhead to the smooth running of the RM system.

However, there is no doubt that it should only be removed if no further development is going to be done on it.

I believe that the handling of "visual" proofs is so important that improvement to this area of the system deserves to be a TOP priority. If only the development work in RM4 had gone into this (and handling Geographic data and Reporting) rather than all that Family Search nonsense we would be in a much much better place now.

There are many threads already on suggested improvements to the Gallery. Perhaps Renee should add it to the list of items where the customers views are welcomed on the Wish List?.....

Mark

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8491 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 01:27 PM

Even though we have had a lot of discussion on the Media Galley. I did open a pinned Wish List discussion for the Media Gallery. If you have commented previously about your enhancement ideas for multimedia, maybe you could link the thread into this pinned topic.
http://forums.rootsm...-media-gallery/
Renee
RootsMagic

#7 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 12:45 PM

But Jerry, the Gallery and Windows Explorer serve two completely different purposes. Explorer knows absolutely nothing about which files are used by the RM database while that's all the Gallery knows about. The Gallery would benefit from being more Explorer-like or more Picasa-like with folder views, album or library views, scrapbook views, etc.

All of my RM4 pictures, death certs, marriage licenses, and other media objects are in individual folders stored on my computer. Each item has a link to the appropriate person and appears properly for person I have enter in RM4. This remains true as long as I keep the media file system intact on my hard drive.

Should I make changes to the file system and move it to some other drive or even to another folder on the local drive C, the gallery loses the link and has to be rebuilt by running the utility to recover lost links.

We did not have a gallery in RM3 and and ithat program worked fine without it. The only feature that I like is the ability to recover lost links and, a wish for the ability to point to a specific drive and not search every one that is attached to my computer!

Some sort of link, image or whatever, seems to be created for the gallery whenever I attach a media item to an individual. The time required for RM4 to do what ever it does to include it in the gallery is most often unacceptable, at least to me.

Why would I want to slowly page through a thousand plus images in the gallery looking for a certain one when I can go straight to my hard drive where the image is stored and attach, delete it or, wherever else I need to do?

So, bottom line...I do not use it because I haven't found a useful purpose for it.
Jack

a posteriori