5 replies to this topic

#1 Jonathan589

Jonathan589

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 05:11 AM

I'm working on a lot of Gaelic patronymic naming in a 17th-Century register, written up by people without a standard orthography and anglicising the spellings as they went. Very entertaining.

It means I need to use the Alternate Name field a lot so tried adding it to the Add New Person screen. When I 'customise this form' it allows me to add the field, but the result is not right. First it offers me a window with just a few fields on it, but the second time I use it offers all the fields except for Alt Name ones where it just offers the date field, and on the finished Edit Person screen it gives me no name fields to fill in for this fact. How do I achieve what I'm after?

(BTW, when I do enter Alternative Names it offers the Name fields first, where all the other entries offer the date first so muscle memory makes me keep sticking the date in as a first name!)

Thanks

Jonathan

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:33 AM

The Alternate Name fact default sentence also adds an unwanted extra space in reports:

1. Dashiel<space>Riprockski<space>was<space>also<space>known<space>as<space><space>Dash<space>RipRock.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:17 AM

Confirming that I see the same bugs:
  • The customise Add Person form does not completely display until it has been closed and re-opened.
  • Alternate Name fact is not added correctly to the customised Add Person form - the Name fields are missing, only the Date field is presented.
  • An Alt. Name fact added from the faulty Add Person screen does not present any Name fields in the Edit Person screen - only the Date fields.
  • Such a fact is abbreviated Alt. Name (with a period) while Alt Name (without period) is displayed for the Alternate Name fact in the Facts column when added in the Edit Person screen.
  • In Alternate name Details, former is displayed in the Note|Sources|Media status as Alt. Name while latter is alt. name (no caps)
  • Alt.Name is sharable! while Alt Name is not.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8492 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:53 AM

Confirming this issue is in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

#5 John James

John James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 09:05 AM

How do I achieve what I'm after?

It's not possible in RM, I had to do this externally.

#6 Jonathan589

Jonathan589

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 10:04 AM

In a program this big and powerful I can never be certain whether I've tripped over a 'feature' or just haven't gone about something the right way. I can relax now knowing it's a bug and is in the system to be dealt with.

Thank you all for your responses.