• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 H Peterson

H Peterson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 03:18 PM

If I purchase the latest version of RM will I have a problem importing the data from RM 2.04a

#2 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2092 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 04:08 PM

If you still have all the files that comprise the RM2 database, you should be able to import that data into RM4.

#3 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3493 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 04:09 PM

Nope. Of course, if you want to be sure ...download the free RootsMagic Essentials and do an import to see what result you get.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#4 H Peterson

H Peterson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 04:15 PM

Nope. Of course, if you want to be sure ...download the free RootsMagic Essentials and do an import to see what result you get.

Is the RootsMagic Essentials a add on program or is it a separate program?

#5 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 04:41 PM

Actually, RootsMagic Essentials is the exact same thing as the full program, it lacks a few reports and things which are enabled when you enter the registration code which you get when you purchase the program.

---

I was curious one time so I downloaded Essentials just to see what it lacked, I never found out because it found my registration code and became the exact same program as the full RootsMagic.

--- Added ---
RootsMagic 4 will import an earlier version's database, but it will not restore an earlier version's backup file.
(Of course, you could use any unzipping program to restore the backup to it's database files and then import the database.)
Alfred

#6 H Peterson

H Peterson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 05:42 PM

Actually, RootsMagic Essentials is the exact same thing as the full program, it lacks a few reports and things which are enabled when you enter the registration code which you get when you purchase the program.

---

I was curious one time so I downloaded Essentials just to see what it lacked, I never found out because it found my registration code and became the exact same program as the full RootsMagic.

--- Added ---
RootsMagic 4 will import an earlier version's database, but it will not restore an earlier version's backup file.
(Of course, you could use any unzipping program to restore the backup to it's database files and then import the database.)

Thanks Alfred, I'm a little confussed about restoring data base files. I know how to unzip a backup file. But then how do I get the data base files into the RM program. Could you elaborate on that. Thanks

#7 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2092 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 06:00 PM

In RM4, go to File > Import. Click on the "RootsMagic (version 1 - 3)" radio button, and then navigate to your .rmg file. The other files that comprise the database must also be in the same folder as the .rmg file. Proceed from there as prompted.

#8 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 06:03 PM

RootsMagic 4 has an import feature in the File menu.
You just open RootsMagic without a database file at all and choose Import... You then get several choices, one of which is "RootsMagic (version 1-3)"
Click on that and point it to the proper folder, If you know where it is, if not it will even search for the old RootsMagic files for you.
Double click on the one you want to import or click the proper button, then you are given a chance to name it or settle for the same name it has as an earlier file.
This does nothing to the earlier file except read it and copy it to the new version. You would still be able to use it in the earlier version.

You should first go to the Tools - Program Options - Folders, and set the folder locations you wish RootsMagic 4 to use as it's default locations for it's files.
Alfred

#9 H Peterson

H Peterson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 06:08 PM

RootsMagic 4 has an import feature in the File menu.
You just open RootsMagic without a database file at all and choose Import... You then get several choices, one of which is "RootsMagic (version 1-3)"
Click on that and point it to the proper folder, If you know where it is, if not it will even search for the old RootsMagic files for you.
Double click on the one you want to import or click the proper button, then you are given a chance to name it or settle for the same name it has as an earlier file.
This does nothing to the earlier file except read it and copy it to the new version. You would still be able to use it in the earlier version.

You should first go to the Tools - Program Options - Folders, and set the folder locations you wish RootsMagic 4 to use as it's default locations for it's files.

One more question. What I'm really interested in is the RootsMagic To-Go. Do I have to put it on a flash drive or disk to share with other's or can I email it to other's.

#10 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3493 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 06:22 PM

One more question. What I'm really interested in is the RootsMagic To-Go. Do I have to put it on a flash drive or disk to share with other's or can I email it to other's.

RootsMagic To-Go was mostly designed for YOU ...in order to be able to take with you to library/other places with a computer, do some research&add your findings to the copy of RM on the flash drive, then return home to your desktop and synch the newly found data back into the database at your main workspace. The feature that might serve your intent in this question better would be to Create A Shareable CD and send that CD or zip up the files it creates in the step prior to burning the CD and send them to others.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#11 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2092 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 06:42 PM

Several options for sharing exist (such as database file, backup, shareable CD, etc.), as well as means (email attachment, CD, flash drive, Dropbox or other filesharing service, etc.).

The most effective way(s) may depend upon what you mean by "sharing". Is it allowing someone to see the data, change the data, etc? Does the other person have RM4 (or RM4 Essentials)? How often will you be sharing your data with the other person (one-time or periodically)?

We may be able to pinpoint what might be best depending on your needs. Did you have a method that you used in RM2?

#12 H Peterson

H Peterson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:14 PM

RootsMagic To-Go was mostly designed for YOU ...in order to be able to take with you to library/other places with a computer, do some research&add your findings to the copy of RM on the flash drive, then return home to your desktop and synch the newly found data back into the database at your main workspace. The feature that might serve your intent in this question better would be to Create A Shareable CD and send that CD or zip up the files it creates in the step prior to burning the CD and send them to others.

Maybe that's what I was thinking about. Creating A Shareable CD. I have kept the family records for almost 47 years. I have hundreds of relatives that would love to see my data. If I create a Shareable CD and send that to them they can use the program but can't change anything. Is that correct?

#13 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:01 PM

The Shareable CD is read only.

I also create a website and save those files to the Shareable CD/DVD in case the person I am sharing with has a Mac. You can also save a gedcom file to the CD.

I put a text file, Read me first, on the CD explaining the Shareable CD, website files and gedcom.

Laura

#14 H Peterson

H Peterson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:07 PM

The Shareable CD is read only.

I also create a website and save those files to the Shareable CD/DVD in case the person I am sharing with has a Mac. You can also save a gedcom file to the CD.

I put a text file, Read me first, on the CD explaining the Shareable CD, website files and gedcom.

Laura

Thank you to all the people that have helped me. I think I will order the current version and if I have trouble I will be back.

#15 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2092 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 12:11 AM

If they strictly use the shareable CD, you're correct in that nothing can be changed by others. However, if they're savvy enough, they could figure out that they're able to copy the the database file (and any media items) included on the CD to a local, USB, etc. drive and use a working copy of RM4 (or RM4 Essentials) to edit it going forward.

Creating a very large number of shareable CDs could be cost-prohibitive (and time-prohibitive) for you, but you could choose the "I will burn to CD later" option (which kbens0n refers to in the last sentence of his post) and make the files available to others via a website (as Laura suggests) or at Dropbox or other site where they'd be able to download the data to another location, themselves. You could also instruct them to then burn those files to CD, if you wish.