1 reply to this topic

#1 c24m48

c24m48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2613 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 10:54 AM

This is a very simple trick, and most of you all have probably figured it out already. The RM forum system keeps track of which threads you have read and which you have not read under the following circumstances.

• Make yourself a username and password and always login before reading the forum, even if you never post or even if you seldom post.
  • Never use your browser's Back button to back up. Always navigate forward. For example, after finishing with reading a thread, click on the appropriate place in the breadcrumbs at the top of the screen rather than clicking your browser's Back button. For example, my current breadcrumbs as I'm composing this message read as follows: RootsMagic Forums > Product Support Boards > RootsMagic 4 > Tips and Hints.

Reading the forums in this fashion rather than by using the browser's Back button can save you a lot of time in reading the Forums by avoiding reading the same messages over and over again.

Jerry

#2 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 12:29 PM

This is a very simple trick, and most of you all have probably figured it out already. The RM forum system keeps track of which threads you have read and which you have not read under the following circumstances.

• Make yourself a username and password and always login before reading the forum, even if you never post or even if you seldom post.
  • Never use your browser's Back button to back up. Always navigate forward. For example, after finishing with reading a thread, click on the appropriate place in the breadcrumbs at the top of the screen rather than clicking your browser's Back button. For example, my current breadcrumbs as I'm composing this message read as follows: RootsMagic Forums > Product Support Boards > RootsMagic 4 > Tips and Hints.

Reading the forums in this fashion rather than by using the browser's Back button can save you a lot of time in reading the Forums by avoiding reading the same messages over and over again.

Jerry

Here's what I do. First, I have my login set to always Remember Me. Then I save this string to my Favorites/Bookmarks: http://forums.rootsm...arch_filter_app[forums]=1

Now, any time I want to read the board, I click the above link and instantly see all new posts made since my last visit (no need to log in & out repeatedly). Now, as I view the list of new messages, using Firefox I right-click on the Topic I want to read and open in New Tab. When I've scanned & selected all the topics, I then close that initial "new posts" window, and I'm left with the group of tabs I selected. I can read those at my leisure, in any order, and simply close each tab when I'm done. When no tabs are remaining, that's it!