Jump to content


Photo

URL for Media Links


  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Tom & Ruth

Tom & Ruth

    New Member

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:52 AM

I'm using RM 4.1.0.0

I've imported a GEDCOM that contain media links to URL's of the media (photos).

When I view the media in RootsMagic, it a shows a broken link icon. However, I noticed that RootsMagic has ADDED a back-slash (\) after the http:

Thus my imported media links now show: http:\//mywebsitecom/photos/image.gif (it should show http://mywebsitecom/photos/image.gif as it is listed in the GEDCOM)

When I try to edit the link in RootsMagic, it won't let me.

How to I correct this problem with the added back-slash in RootsMagic?

Why doesn't RootsMagic use a URL, in addition to a local file, for my media?

Any help or suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you.

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3260 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 12:10 PM

When I view the media in RootsMagic, it a shows a broken link icon. However, I noticed that RootsMagic has ADDED a back-slash (\) after the http:

Thus my imported media links now show: http:\//mywebsitecom/photos/image.gif (it should show http://mywebsitecom/photos/image.gif as it is listed in the GEDCOM)
<snip>
Why doesn't RootsMagic use a URL, in addition to a local file, for my media?

That's the obvious reason for the broken link icon, since it would seem to be an invalid path. :)
I'm sure that RM merely looks for a local drive letter followed by a colon and if there is no back-slash ...inserts one. RM only supports local images (note there's only a <Disk> button for adding media from local devices and a <Scan> button that requires saving the result to a local device. I don't think one can even do what you desire with very many applications (i.e. Word, Excel, Adobe, etc.), since HTTP is a client-server request-response protocol that generally requires display of the actual resource in a browser or custom web application. They can store the URL's as links, obviously, but not display them as embedded objects.

When I try to edit the link in RootsMagic, it won't let me.
How to I correct this problem with the added back-slash in RootsMagic?

It is definitely RM's mistake that it allowed the import instead of discarding them to the .LST file. Editing them would be of absolutely no use, since RM doesn't support their use. Best to just restore a backup to just prior to this GEDCOM import and then either edit the GEDCOM to convert URL's to valid Window's paths (then copy images to those) -or- altogether delete the GEDCOM Tags representing these URL links.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N


#3 rmoore66X

rmoore66X

    New Member

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:15 PM

I had same problem. A program called Ancestry Image Downloader that I used to download images from Ancestry fixed up the output file so that the URLs show as NOTEs in the text. Reports in PDF format have the URLs active.
If you have a small GEDCOM you can manually edit like this:
Find the links which will look thus:
1 OBJE
2 FILE http://...
2 FORM jpg
2 TITL Name of File
and replace it with this:
1 NOTE Name of File
2 CONT http://......
and then import.
My file is too large, so I'm working on a program to do this. I've been retired from programming for 5 years now but it's comming back. If you're interested, I'll be glad to share.