• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 oggie

oggie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 01:05 AM

I have finally realised that FO 8 is now out of date and need to upgrade to a new family history software. I now have RootsMajic.
I have been trying to export a gedcom file from FO but when I try to do this it keeps telling me that the disc is full. HELP. Any suggestion how I can do this. I have over 2000 names and would hate to have to manually re-enter them. I am able to do a backup ok.

Lynda :(

#2 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2082 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 08:06 AM

Lynda, why not instead proceed via a direct import of your Family Origins file, instead of a GEDCOM transfer?

Go to File > Import in RM4 and click the radio button next to "Family Origins (version 4 and later)", and click the "I know where the file is" button. Navigate to your FOW file (you'll need the other associated FO8 files with it in the same folder), and proceed from there.

Not sure about the error message, but in the unlikely event that you don't have enough hard drive space to create the new file with the data from your FO8 file, you'll need to somehow free it up.

#3 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 09:08 AM

Family Origins 8 and earlier "Disk full" error message when exporting a GEDCOM file.

I think it was Windows XP when this started. Family Origins didn't understand the new file system and and disk over two GB had that problem. The solution was to send the GEDCOM file to an eternal disk or divide the new, larger hard drives into a smaller partition in which to export a GEDCOM file.
Alfred

#4 oggie

oggie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 05:30 PM

thanks - I now have a gedcom file :D

#5 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2082 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 05:47 PM

Lynda, there's more potential for data loss should you use a GEDCOM file versus a direct import of your FO8 database, but the final decision is obviously up to you.