• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Tony126

Tony126

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:24 PM

I hope I am not repeating a similar post this evening.Have family members tree on my computer. Saved the file to hard drive when closing program. Copied said file Joan (2011-02-03).rmgb to USB drive. travelled to relatives house and installed RM4 successfully. Inserted USB and then went to import file from USB. The result was nothing transferred, Imported the photo file. Opened up RM4 created a new Data base and imported media from photo file. Why doesn't transferring *.rmbg file work? ( probably me but an explanation would help).

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3493 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:42 PM

I hope I am not repeating a similar post this evening.Have family members tree on my computer. Saved the file to hard drive when closing program. Copied said file Joan (2011-02-03).rmgb to USB drive. travelled to relatives house and installed RM4 successfully. Inserted USB and then went to import file from USB. The result was nothing transferred, Imported the photo file. Opened up RM4 created a new Data base and imported media from photo file. Why doesn't transferring *.rmbg file work? ( probably me but an explanation would help).

the .RMGB is a RootsMagic backup file and does not need a fresh database created for import. Just using:

File -> Restore

from the Top menu and selecting the file from your USB drive ...will read from the backup file and create the copy of the database that was originally at your house.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 Tony126

Tony126

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:23 PM

the .RMGB is a RootsMagic backup file and does not need a fresh database created for import. Just using:

File -> Restore

from the Top menu and selecting the file from your USB drive ...will read from the backup file and create the copy of the database that was originally at your house.

Thanks for the quick response. Never tried the restore just the import. A case of not seeing the woods for the trees. To save a 60 mile round trip I will attach the file to an e-mail. Get them to load it onto their hard drive and then let them "restore" from there. I cannot see why that will not work.

#4 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:27 PM

After you restore the database, you can use Search, Search and Replace to change the path to where the photos are saved on your family member's computer if you didn't save them into the same folder path that you have them in on your computer.

The database extension for a RM4 database is rmgc and can be opened on any computer with RM4 at File, Open.

Laura

#5 Tony126

Tony126

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:34 PM

After you restore the database, you can use Search, Search and Replace to change the path to where the photos are saved on your family member's computer if you didn't save them into the same folder path that you have them in on your computer.

The database extension for a RM4 database is rmgc.

Laura

Thank you Laura. It will probably pay me to re-visit and make sure they have it right on their computer...........hopefully. :D

#6 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 11:16 PM

There is an alternative to Search and Replace to change the paths to photo files. But it searches the whole hard drive for the media files and can take a long time.

Go to Lists, Media Gallery.
Click on Tools
Click on fix broken media links

For help with using the Search and replace feature, go to Search, Search and Replace. When that screen comes up, press F1 and the help page for that feature will come up.

Email should work if the backup file isn't too large to be transmitted or received by the email programs. Some email providers have limits on how big the files can be.

Hopefully you can talk your family member through getting the database restored and the media relinked and won't have to make that 60 mile round trip for awhile. :)

Laura

#7 A_M

A_M

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 03:39 PM

Go to Lists, Media Gallery.
Click on Tools
Click on fix broken media links

Laura,

The above method did not work for me a single time (v 4110).
The scan ended reporting that it found 62 missing files, or some-such, but the dialog offered only two ways to dismiss: the Cancel button and the OS close widget. Both ways seem to cancel the time-consuming results of the scan, as the paths are not resolved afterward. The broken chain icons are still there. This was also the case when I tried an .rmgb file.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but sincerely - I don't really want to learn. What I really want is RM to use relative media paths, plus a reliable Collect feature as seen in professional DTP programs. In this fast world I need mobility. If a program creates a backup, why restoring it does not retrieve fully workable data set?

Maybe this is a matter of my work style. I have a folder named "media" next to my rmgc file. This is what I assumed would enable most mobility. I place all media files in that folder and I'd imagine I don't need any absolute paths. Apparently the assumption was wrong.

OK, I said I don't want to learn, but actually I would love to get to read a tut on ensuring mobility of my data.

Best regards,
Artur

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6449 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 08:52 PM

RootsMagic stores absolute paths to media files. If your media files have a common path below some level when you move from one computer to another, the fastest way to re-connect is to use Search & Replace on the multimedia file names, e.g. Search "C:\abc\def\media" & Replace with "G:\uvw\media". Support for relative paths has been an outstanding enhancement request since the days of Family Origins.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#9 A_M

A_M

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 04:44 AM

...the fastest way to re-connect is to use Search & Replace on the multimedia file names, e.g. Search "C:\abc\def\media" & Replace with "G:\uvw\media".

Thanks TomH, that sounds promising, I'll give it a try next time.

Support for relative paths has been an outstanding enhancement request since the days of Family Origins.

Wait, I just opened my RM2Go and opened the Program Options > Folders. For "RootsMagic data files" I have a default value of ".\Data" This smells like it is a relative path, where the dot means "here", so there might already be support for relative paths. I would expect that if you enter ".\media", for multimedia files, the program will first look in the "media" folder next to the rgmc file. Is my thinking correct, RootsMagicians?

Will try that before the above method next time I move my data. Please let me know if anyone does that sooner.

Artur

#10 A_M

A_M

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 05:41 AM

Search & Replace worked beautifully and instantly, without a need to scan or rebuild anything.
The Folders paths for media in the Program Options only seem to set the default navigation location when you invoke a GetFile system dialog for a given type of file. A pity.

#11 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6449 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 01:54 PM

There is but one RootsMagician, Bruce Buzbee, the principal behind RootsMagic.

Despite being able to enter a relative path in the Folders settings, it is the absolute path that is stored for each media item.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.