2 replies to this topic

#1 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 07:16 PM

I've started adjusting To-Do List priorities as I work on items.
I start most To-Do items as priorities 4, 5 or 6. Only really hot items get a 1, 2 or 3.
When I work an item but get no results, I then decide if I want to complete it or keep it active. If I decide to keep it active, I then bump the priority down to a 7 or 8. This keeps it in the repository To-Do printout but nearer the bottom. This way I work on newer items first and get down to the already worked items second. If I'm really frustrated and have tried finding something a couple of times but want to keep trying I will lower the priority to 9 to put it at the bottom of the list.

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:02 PM

My Priority and Status guides for assignments of Priority and Status:

1-4 - Open = check sources, online, library, Family History Library micro film, etc. Prioritize by urgency.
5 - Pending = General search for Surnames from a source, i.e. cemetery records for a surname. I already have connections in my database.
6 - Pending = I have info that I can't connect to a person or family in my database but I suspect there is a connection
7 - Pending - I still want to look but have run out of ideas of where to search and also want to run through GenSmarts for new ideas if I haven't done so.
8 - Problem = I didn't find the person in the source. Or, I have given up unless new data or a new source surfaces.
9 - Completed = I found a source(s) and completed the To Do.

You could put the Priority at the first of the Task name to sort it by the Priority numbers. Use a leading 0 in the number,

For Example:
Surname, Given name, (Maiden name for women), Year/Month/Date, Event, State, County where that applies, source to check or source found in. Each person has a new To Do for each different source as only one Repository can be linked.
01 - Adkinson, Marvin, 1902/08/04, Md., Laura Bell Vance, AR, Sharp, FamSearch
02 - Adkinson, Marvin, 1902/08/04, Md., Laura Bell Vance, AR, Sharp, MF#12900
08 - Adkinson, Marvin, 1902/08/04, Md., Laura Bell Vance, AR, Sharp, Whitten

This is the way my Task names read. The To Do task dates gives me a time line for a person's life and helps me see where I have holes in my data. I just couldn't make heads or tails of a To Do list with just the source to check as the task name. Each person has a new To Do for each different source as only one Repository can be linked. I have a repository for each source. When I go to the Family History Library to check the LDS MF#1290003, I have all the names and date and priority and status right there in the Repository report for that Repository.

Task name: Surname, Given name, (Maiden name for women), Year/Month/Date, Event, State, County where that applies, source to check or source found in. Details and Results: what ever data woulld be helpful to find that person in that source. Results of the search for that source.

For example:
Adams, Jason D., 1860, Search, ps. AR, Scott
Adams, William E., 2007/02/23, Obit, Batesville Guard Online
Adkinson, Marvin, 1902/08/04, Md., Laura Bell Vance, AR, Sharp, FamSearch
Adkinson, Marvin, 1902/08/04, Md., Laura Bell Vance, AR, Sharp, LDS MF#1290003
Adkinson, Marvin, 1902/08/04, Md., Laura Bell Vance, AR, Sharp, Whitten
Allen, Bertie B. (Felts), 2003/12/14, Obit, Jonesboro Sun
Ahrens, Luevena Mae (Beeman), 2004/05/08, Obit, Altus Times

I'm thinking about putting zz09 in front of the Task name to sort the completed tasks to the bottom of the list. But, I haven't decided to break my time line for each person which is why I don't start the task name with the Priority.

Laura

#3 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 07:40 AM

Once again, Laura, you are much more organized about it than I. I like the idea of sticking zz in front of the description to get it to sort to the bottom of the list. I'm going to start doing that, at least until the To-Do list manager becomes able to sort by priorities, etc.

One other thing I've done with the To-Do list is I created a "repository" named ". No Repository". (note the preceding dot) I select this when I don't have a specific repository in mind for a task. The dot makes it sort to the top of the repository list. This allows me to print To-Do list reports for things I have not assigned to a specific library or source.