3 replies to this topic

#1 JeffH13

JeffH13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 06:57 PM

My suggestion for displaying Shared Facts in a Family Group Sheet. Initially RM4 displayed the fact type (e.g. Burial) which was confusing, now it's the roles. I suggest:

[Fact type] of [Principle]
Role: [Role]

So for example:

Burial of Samuel Day
Role: Pallbearer

Census of William Trowbridge
Role: Wife

Jeff

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8490 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 01:51 PM

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

#3 cdev007

cdev007

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 08:47 PM

Though this was a discussion from several years ago, this is still a concern for me and there is not an easy solution to this problem. 

What I see as a problem: When printing a family group sheet the shared facts for the children do not show up (except for marriages). For example, If one of the children (let's call him George) has a "census (fam)" fact for him. The "census (fam)" fact is for the 1900 census and which is shared with his wife. When a FGS is generated for George, the 1900 census does not show up on the FGS. 

Currently if I want to have a shared fact in my database and have the census show up on a FGS (when having George as a child) then I have to create a "census (fam)" and a "census" fact for George. This seems redundant. 

I am wonder if you guys could enable an option where one could chose whether or not to include shared facts or not when they are the child on a FGS. 

From my understanding of coding, this wouldn't be terribly hard (relatively). 

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3608 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 06:02 AM

What I see as a problem: When printing a family group sheet the shared facts for the children do not show up (except for marriages).

Facts in RM are individual facts or family facts. Although it may seem that a family fact such as a marriage is "shared" between the two spouses, RM's shared facts and RM's family facts are not the same thing at all. In some ways RM's family facts should really be called spouse facts because they apply to the spouses and not to the children. The "census (fam)" fact is a prime example where the "census (fam)" fact cannot be used to cover an entire family grouping in the census including parents and children because the "census (fam)" fact is really a "census (spouses)" fact.

Your desire for RM's shared facts to appear on an FGS is one of many examples where RM's shared facts do not behave enough like real facts. There are many similar requests for RM's shared facts to behave more like real facts. We shall just have to see if this situation improves in the future.

Jerry