• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 June

June

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 02:52 PM

I had a problem with Explorer not handling umlauts - and that problem was recently partially solved, but it still has a problem accepting names with umlauts. And now I have a new problem: Sometimes I type in a name and Explorer doesn't search - it does nothing. Or I will type in a name and it goes to some name that doesn't come close to what I typed.

June

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 03:51 PM

I went through the Windows Cahracter map for "0 Times New Roman" and copied the characters I thought looked about like our anything like the English 'A'. (I may have missed or duplicated a few, I was getting a bit cross-eyed)
The first two are from our alphabet, the rest are in order of other alphabets throughout the UniCode character map.

AaÀÁÂÃÄÅÆàáâãäåæĀyĂ㥹ǞǟǠǡǢǣǺǻǼǽȀȁȂȃȦȧȺͣΆΑάαаӐӑӒӓӔӕᴀᴁᴬᴭᵃᵄᵅᵆ
ḀḁẠạẢảẤấẦầẨẩẪẫẬậẮắẰằẲẳẴẵẶặἀἁἂἃἄἅἆἇἈἉἊἋἌἍἎἏὰάᾀᾁᾂᾃᾄᾅᾆᾇᾈᾉᾊᾋᾌᾍᾎᾏ
ᾰᾱᾲᾳᾴᾶᾷᾸᾹᾺΆᾼ

Is it any wonder that a program has a problem sorting things the way we expect.
When it was just the 26 English characters, upper and lowercase it wasn't too bad.

I am not sure that the problem with not finding a name or finding an unrelated one is related to umlauts, but is sure seems to be.
There was something like that about a year ago with enhanced characters and I seem to remember that exporting to a GEDCOM and importing it into a new database (OR dragging and dropping everyone in the database) eliminated the problem in the new database.
I don't know why though.
Alfred

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6415 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:23 PM

I daresay that this is a problem that may be out of the hands of the RM developers as it may be embedded in DISQLite3 which they use to integrate the SQLite database engine with the application. What's worse is that the DSQLite3 developers are dependent on third party developers of the libxslt library to resolve a memory leak in the library before they can compile what should be a fix in DISQLite. See this about sorting German text using DIXml; the problem is likely common to DISQLite3.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3477 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:41 PM

Or I will type in a name and it goes to some name that doesn't come close to what I typed.

I recall this symptom (as Alfred mentions) going way back to this thread:

http://forums.rootsm...proper-results/

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8638 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 11:01 AM

I daresay that this is a problem that may be out of the hands of the RM developers as it may be embedded in DISQLite3 which they use to integrate the SQLite database engine with the application. What's worse is that the DSQLite3 developers are dependent on third party developers of the libxslt library to resolve a memory leak in the library before they can compile what should be a fix in DISQLite. See this about sorting German text using DIXml; the problem is likely common to DISQLite3.

Thank you for this insight. I passed this along to Bruce and Mike in case they were not aware of this discussion. Confirming this issue is in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic