38 replies to this topic

#21 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3433 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 04:40 PM

I think that MS SyncToy will do what I need.

Do search for other programs, MS SyncToy did not get the best reviews when I was researching.

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#22 DaveConrad

DaveConrad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 05:07 PM

Do search for other programs, MS SyncToy did not get the best reviews when I was researching.

I will and I don't mind paying for a program that does what I really want it to do. I was pleased with SyncToy so I imagine there are better ones out there. I will do some searching.

thanks much

#23 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8490 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 03:55 PM

As I drove to work I had another thought.... :huh:

Only a small amount of my media is presently linked to RM, hence other wishes for help, and it's easy for me within my folder structure to keep complete backups in sync.

But what about a BACKUP button in the Media Gallery which adds all the media gallery items linked to whatever file you have open to a zip file maybe named "databasename-media"

Confirming suggestion added in our tracking system.

The backup/sync software I use is SyncBack. I have the free version and have been totally happy with it, never an issue. My main files are on my external "Z" Drive. I backup to another external, the "C" drive of my desktop computer, and Mozy. Using this method I can move between my desktop and computer with all my multimedia links in tack by just moving the external drive around. I did have to assign the drive letter in each computer for the external to be recognized as "Z".
Renee
RootsMagic

#24 DaveConrad

DaveConrad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 04:32 PM

Confirming suggestion added in our tracking system.

The backup/sync software I use is SyncBack. I have the free version and have been totally happy with it, never an issue. My main files are on my external "Z" Drive. I backup to another external, the "C" drive of my desktop computer, and Mozy. Using this method I can move between my desktop and computer with all my multimedia links in tack by just moving the external drive around. I did have to assign the drive letter in each computer for the external to be recognized as "Z".

I am quite happy with SyncToy also and thanks for putting me onto it. I will try the SyncBack too. With one click, I now back up my RM Backups and media to a flash drive, logical internal drive and an external hard drive. There is no reason I could not do the same for the Program Files but as long as I can restore from a backup, that is not a problem.

Yes, or a button that says "import media into RM" and have it stored in a table of its own. That way, it should be backup up along with the other data. I doubt if we will see that but it would be nice.

Regards
Dave

#25 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3433 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 05:01 PM

I now back up my RM Backups and media to a flash drive, logical internal drive and an external hard drive. There is no reason I could not do the same for the Program Files but as long as I can restore from a backup, that is not a problem.

So you probably have a mirror of your media folder structure now on your flash drive so install RMtoGo and you will have full portable functionality just by changing the media drive letter.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Root

#26 DaveConrad

DaveConrad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 11:20 AM

So you probably have a mirror of your media folder structure now on your flash drive so install RMtoGo and you will have full portable functionality just by changing the media drive letter.

I tried that but, for some reason, it just won't work. Even if you shut down the RM To-GO and restart it, the links still show as broken even though you have addressed the media to the proper location on the flash drive. If you edit a person and select media, you can then do an auto search and it will find the media on the USB and make the proper connection. But, why can't the rest of the entries be found even if the media is pointed to the proper location. (although it says it is pointed to it)

If you give it a try with RM To-Go, you will see what I mean. A snapshot of your media will be there showing a broken link. If you have a copy of your media on that same drive, point the program's media files to that USB directory. If will make no difference and keep showing broken links. You can auto search and relink but then you would have to do that for every person in your database that you have multimedia files for.

Along with a choice to backup multimedia, it would be nice to have a "Check, and auto-repair links" button.

BTW, I tried Renee's suggested program SyncBack and it is a nice little program but, to be honest, I prefer MS SyncToy. I find SyncToy is even more simple. (like me)

#27 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3433 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 11:57 AM

I tried that but, for some reason, it just won't work. Even if you shut down the RM To-GO and restart it, the links still show as broken even though you have addressed the media to the proper location on the flash drive.

Two ways to solve this as it is actually in a different location on the flash drive as your original links might point to c:\...\... or D:\...\... and the flash drive might be assigned E: or F:

1. Use the "Fix Broken Media Links" in Media Gallery and it will fix things for you.

2. A much quicker way, providing you know the drive letters, is to go Search > Search & Replace, choose Multimedia Filenames from the drop down and and for example if your desktop media file location is C: then enter C:\ in the Search field and if your flash drive designation is E: then enter E:\ in the Replace With box, check the result works on the first couple of instances then press Replace All.

I work like this when away from home, which is often, and carry my complete research on the flash drive and can work exactly as I do at home.

BTW, I know RM are working on a better way and if you watch the last webinar you will hear Bruce state the same.

Root

#28 DaveConrad

DaveConrad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 01:43 PM

Two ways to solve this as it is actually in a different location on the flash drive as your original links might point to c:\...\... or D:\...\... and the flash drive might be assigned E: or F:

1. Use the "Fix Broken Media Links" in Media Gallery and it will fix things for you.

2. A much quicker way, providing you know the drive letters, is to go Search > Search & Replace, choose Multimedia Filenames from the drop down and and for example if your desktop media file location is C: then enter C:\ in the Search field and if your flash drive designation is E: then enter E:\ in the Replace With box, check the result works on the first couple of instances then press Replace All.

I work like this when away from home, which is often, and carry my complete research on the flash drive and can work exactly as I do at home.

BTW, I know RM are working on a better way and if you watch the last webinar you will hear Bruce state the same.

I will look for the webinar. Thanks

1. I have tons of multimedia that would take me forever going individual by individual to fix the broken links. Unfortunately, there is not a "Fix All" broken links.

2. I did that also but, strangely, it did not seem to matter. I pointed the media file to my multimedia on my disk and it shows as such. But, I still get the links showing as broken. I tried shutting down the RM To-Go and restarting but it didn't make any difference. That works for my main RM on my PC but not RM To-Go from a USB stick on my laptop top. It does on yours?

#29 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6267 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 06:04 PM

Apparently, RM4 Restore can restore from a ZIP file with the .rmgb extension having the media files contained therein along with the .rmgc database file. However, it ignores the paths and restores all the files to the same target folder as is specified for the database file in the Restore dialog. Hmmm, hold that thought! I realise that my zip file made by the free 7ZIP utility did not have paths in it; user unfamiliarity. Further test ensues...

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#30 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 06:52 PM

I will look for the webinar. Thanks

1. I have tons of multimedia that would take me forever going individual by individual to fix the broken links. Unfortunately, there is not a "Fix All" broken links.

2. I did that also but, strangely, it did not seem to matter. I pointed the media file to my multimedia on my disk and it shows as such. But, I still get the links showing as broken. I tried shutting down the RM To-Go and restarting but it didn't make any difference. That works for my main RM on my PC but not RM To-Go from a USB stick on my laptop top. It does on yours?

1: You do not do it individually, the computer looks up the filename and fixes it's location.

2: The Folder you set in the tools, Program Options, Folders is only a default location for files. It has nothing to do with links that you have or are going to assign, except it is the first place it looks for the files.

--------------
When you have a broken link, the 'Properties" tell you where RootsMagic was told the file is located.
Evidently it is not there any longer. So, If you moved them all to a different folder, you can do the search and replace media filenames and change THAT location to their current location.
If the media items are spread all over the drives, it might be easier to do the "Fix broken links" and let RootsMagic search until it finds the missing files.
Alfred

#31 DaveConrad

DaveConrad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 06:52 PM

Apparently, RM4 Restore can restore from a ZIP file with the .rmgb extension having the media files contained therein along with the .rmgc database file. However, it ignores the paths and restores all the files to the same target folder as is specified for the database file in the Restore dialog. Hmmm, hold that thought! I realise that my zip file made by the free 7ZIP utility did not have paths in it; user unfamiliarity. Further test ensues...

Hi Tom,
I took your suggestion and looked at the last posted webinar and it seems some of the little points I wondered about are "in the works." I'm pretty sure that they find discussions like ours very handy when they look for directions to take the program. In the webinar, they mentioned Dropbox as a way of storing files and, sure enough, it is free (under 2 gigs) and works very well. It works like one file repository over as many computers as you want; like one central folder. You can also access it while away or allow someone else to access the same Dropbox. I think I will keep box Dropbox and SyncToy going for a while until I decide which I like best.

I can't see of a way of storing the main program in a compressed file as I am sure it writes many files to the Windows directory itself. Eg. .dll files. Until they come up with a comprehensive, full backup which will allow media, I doubt it we will really find a way around it. As far as the media that you can see within RM, they are just tiny snapshots of the original media which means they look like crap if you try to enlarge or print them.

I just reread your note that said it can be restored from a zip? If it can, both Zip and RAR should keep the directory structure, shouldn't it? I just checked RAR and one of the tags allow you to restore relative paths.

So, I am fairly happy that I know have an easy way of at least backing up RM to several locations at once and the same with my media.

#32 DaveConrad

DaveConrad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 07:31 PM

1: You do not do it individually, the computer looks up the filename and fixes it's location.

2: The Folder you set in the tools, Program Options, Folders is only a default location for files. It has nothing to do with links that you have or are going to assign, except it is the first place it looks for the files.

--------------
When you have a broken link, the 'Properties" tell you where RootsMagic was told the file is located.
Evidently it is not there any longer. So, If you moved them all to a different folder, you can do the search and replace media filenames and change THAT location to their current location.
If the media items are spread all over the drives, it might be easier to do the "Fix broken links" and let RootsMagic search until it finds the missing files.

Hi Alfred. I tried simply pointing my RM-To-Go to the media directory but it didn't make any difference even though it said it was now pointed to the directory. The only problem with fixing broken links is that you have to do each one individually which can be a huge chore if you have lots of media. A "Global" fix media links would cure it.

#33 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3433 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 07:47 PM

If you go to Lists > Media Gallery > Tools > Fix Broken Media Links then it will work on all files. Option 2 also works as I use it twice a week at least.

Root

#34 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 07:57 PM

Hi Alfred. I tried simply pointing my RM-To-Go to the media directory but it didn't make any difference even though it said it was now pointed to the directory. The only problem with fixing broken links is that you have to do each one individually which can be a huge chore if you have lots of media. A "Global" fix media links would cure it.

STOP!
Get some rest!

Then come back and read Vyger's and my posts with an open mind.
You seem to be locked on a a couple of misconceptions:
Fix broken links fixes ALL broken links with one set of keystrokes.
The Folders you set in options have nothing to do with where RootsMagic looks for already linked files.
Alfred

#35 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 07:59 PM

One little problem, if you linked one photo to ten people or items, it will be on the sharable CD ten times, named something like: Jones Family-1, Jones Family-2, --- Jones Family-10
It is only a problem if you are short on space.

This was changed in RM4. RM4 saves only one copy of a media file with a Shareable CD instead of multiple copies for each time a file is linked.

Laura

#36 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6267 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 10:41 PM

Nailed it! RM4's Restore does unzip any files contained in a .rmgb file to the relative path of each zipped file, relative to the Restore target folder. It might even restore absolute paths but 7-ZIP does not zip absolute paths. That's a neat feature but also a complication. To create the archive, 7-ZIP has to run from the common root of all the files and be passed the list of filepaths relative to that point. And then when extracting (or restoring using RM), you have to specify that common root as the target for all to return to their original places.

The RM dialog while or after restoring may be rather unaccustomed and dismaying. In my test case, the photos referenced by RM were not in a sub-folder of the one where the database file was but in another branch of C:\Users\Tom. So the filepaths had to be listed relative to C:\Users\Tom and that was the target to restore to. After RM restores to that target, that's where it looks for the restored database, but it is down in a sub-folder. Hence it issues an unsettling error message "File not found". You have to browse back down or Open Recent. And there is no warning about over-writing any non-.rmgc files. A more pleasant experience would be had if all the media files were in the same or a sub-folder of the one where the database file is located.

WinRAR might be better than 7-ZIP for support of absolute paths in ZIP format; it certainly does in RAR format. I'm on a new Win7-64bit computer and trying 7-ZIP because it's free, supports ZIP compatible with RM, and is highly rated. WinRAR costs as much as RM.

A relative path backup/restore has the advantage of portability between different systems. The RootsMagic Search & Replace>Multimedia filenames then is a straightforward, fast solution to fixing broken media links when it is necessary for the root common path to change.

An absolute path backup/restore would be more convenient for use on the same system.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#37 Kevin Wornell

Kevin Wornell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 04:47 PM

It has been stated in one of the Webinars (I think) that this will never be the case. Firstly there is no need and the downside would be slow and sluggish files running into GB's in size and that is something which would turn me away from RM.

There are many ways to back up your entire genealogy collection and a bit of searching for "best practices" would stand be of great benefit to you rather than messing up a good genealogy program.

Well if it is true that that this will 'never happen' then it certainly simplifies a decision for me. If this is 'never' going to be included then RM will never adhere to common database programming 'Best Practices' of having all related data included in the backup so a 'Full Recovery' can be accomplished with only the database backup.

I keep hearing about all this worry about file size and sluggishness yet I work with databases on a routine basis that contain large media based objects within the database themselves and there is no performance issue. I would much prefer a slower backup that could be restored from a single file, or single command, and that maintained at least a relative folder structure than the pain of multiple backup files and trying to match everything back up again.

Kevin

#38 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6267 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:54 PM

So until this wish comes true, I improved on my backup procedure and now have one shortcut button in my Start Menu titled "Backup My Family Tree". It sits just below my shortcut button "MyFamilyTree" which runs the Quick Integrity Check on my database before it launches RM on the file. A full description that will enable some to replicate what I have done is at the page Backup Media with Database.

That one used WinRAR whose licence fee is as much as RootsMagic. Not everyone wants to pay for an archive utility as much or more than the price of RootsMagic alone, especially when RootsMagic already includes an archiving engine that, with a few tweaks, could do the job. So here is a full database + media procedure that uses a free backup program, 7-Zip AND produces a .rmgb archive/backup file containing both a RootsMagic database and the media files it uses. And the really good news is that the RootsMagic Restore function will unpack the archive to a folder where the media will be in the same relative folders as they were in at the time of archiving. If this target folder path is different from the path of the original database folder, all that's needed to correct the now erroneous media links in the database is to use RM's Search & Replace on Multimedia filenames. So c'mon RM! It should be a trivial task to add a full backup feature to the File menu...

Backup Media with Database - 7Zip

#39 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8490 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 09:47 AM

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic