• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 DaveConrad

DaveConrad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 02:08 PM

I would like to see photo media imported into Roots Magic so that I have the option of including that media during a full backup, instead of just a reference to an external file.

#2 Kevin Wornell

Kevin Wornell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 11:56 AM

I would like to see photo media imported into Roots Magic so that I have the option of including that media during a full backup, instead of just a reference to an external file.

I have voiced this request in the past and so far no movement on it. Perhaps we will see it at some point as part of an overall improvement ot the Media handling capabilities in Roots Magic. Including perhaps Cut & Paste, ability to Higlight and Annotate medi from within Roots Magic, partial image definition (faces).......

Kevin

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 01:04 PM

Creating a Shareable CD with everybody and everything in your database creates a sort of full backup in a folder that you can zip and/or write to CD or an external drive or to the cloud... However, the media will be consolidated in one folder losing the original structure.

Of course, it should be relatively easy programming to lift the core of that process and plug it into an extended backup to a zip file. That could preserve the media paths.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8491 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 02:04 PM

Confirming enhancement requests are in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

#5 DaveConrad

DaveConrad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:46 PM

Creating a Shareable CD with everybody and everything in your database creates a sort of full backup in a folder that you can zip and/or write to CD or an external drive or to the cloud... However, the media will be consolidated in one folder losing the original structure.

Of course, it should be relatively easy programming to lift the core of that process and plug it into an extended backup to a zip file. That could preserve the media paths.

I never thought to check but I wonder if we could import a Roots Magic file from a shareable disk. I should think a "media" field in the database and proper references to it should be doable. A problem there is that you would have to make up a shareable CD with every amendment to your information. (That is provided you could even access the CD to import the file)Didn't we use to be able to back up the old Family Origins and include the media?

#6 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:07 PM

No, Family Origins never included the media files with a backup.

Yes, you can access copy the database from the CD and use it with the full RootsMagic program.
(Not from the CD though because it is read only. And you would have to remove the read only attribute after copying the database )

Then copy the photos folder to your hard drive and do the search and replace Media file names where you would only changed the path for all the files.

One little problem, if you linked one photo to ten people or items, it will be on the sharable CD ten times, named something like: Jones Family-1, Jones Family-2, --- Jones Family-10
It is only a problem if you are short on space.

(You could copy the sharable CD thingie to a USB flash drive to get the photos and database together, then delete the view only copy of RootsMagic)
Alfred

#7 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3434 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 06:07 PM

I have voiced this request in the past and so far no movement on it.

It has been stated in one of the Webinars (I think) that this will never be the case. Firstly there is no need and the downside would be slow and sluggish files running into GB's in size and that is something which would turn me away from RM.

There are many ways to back up your entire genealogy collection and a bit of searching for "best practices" would stand be of great benefit to you rather than messing up a good genealogy program.

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#8 KenCRoy

KenCRoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 06:10 PM

Confirming enhancement requests are in our tracking system.

Hopefully, if this is implemented it will be an option that allows not including the media itself within RootsMagic but only the links, since some of us share the media with a local instance of the TNG web application for example.

An as indicated in other posts, if the media is linked to more than one person, I certainly would only want one copy not one for each person as currently done on the shareable CD.

#9 DaveConrad

DaveConrad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:29 PM

It has been stated in one of the Webinars (I think) that this will never be the case. Firstly there is no need and the downside would be slow and sluggish files running into GB's in size and that is something which would turn me away from RM.

There are many ways to back up your entire genealogy collection and a bit of searching for "best practices" would stand be of great benefit to you rather than messing up a good genealogy program.

Thanks, Kevin and I agree that I would not want to see RM slowed down performance wise. I have a large database and it works very well as is. I run Windows 7 so perhaps I could put my media in a sub directory under C:\programs\Rootsmagic4\ (C:\programs\Rootsmagic4\media\)and my Roots Magic Data files to (C:\programs\Rootsmagic4\Roots Magic Backup) That way I could RAR or ZIP the entire directory and perhaps build a macro to handle it. Does that sound feasible to you?

Thanks

#10 DaveConrad

DaveConrad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:37 PM

Hopefully, if this is implemented it will be an option that allows not including the media itself within RootsMagic but only the links, since some of us share the media with a local instance of the TNG web application for example.

An as indicated in other posts, if the media is linked to more than one person, I certainly would only want one copy not one for each person as currently done on the shareable CD.

I would not want to open a can of worms or see changes detrimental to RM's operation. I am not familiar with TNG so I had to Google it. Perhaps the RM gurus can incorporate a form of backup that does not make any changes to its normal operation or advise of a way of doing it easily outside of RM. Perhaps it is my foggy old mind but I thought an early version of Family Origins had it but it was dropped in later versions.

Regards

#11 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:09 PM

I run Windows 7 so perhaps I could put my media in a sub directory under C:\programs\Rootsmagic4\ (C:\programs\Rootsmagic4\media\)and my Roots Magic Data files to (C:\programs\Rootsmagic4\Roots Magic Backup) That way I could RAR or ZIP the entire directory and perhaps build a macro to handle it. Does that sound feasible to you?

No. Your database and media should not be in the Programs folder. They should be below your C:\Users\Dave folder or some other non-Program folder you can readily access.

I daresay that somebody could write a SQLite query to return the list of media paths from the database and pipe that list along with the path to the database into a zip utility that saves the path info. This could be a manually iterated two-stage process or integrated into a simple utility.

What the heck! Here goes...

The two-stage process would start with a SQLite query such as
SELECT DISTINCT MediaPath || MediaFile from MultiMediaTable;
This produces a list:
D:\MyDocs\FamilyTree\Holden-Cudworth_Wilson-Wason\Scrapbook\Bowman\Bowman, Colin - obituary - 1956.jpg
D:\MyDocs\FamilyTree\Holden-Cudworth_Wilson-Wason\Scrapbook\Cudworth\Cudworth, Helen Elizabeth - UK Incoming Passenger List 5 Jun 1937.jpg
D:\MyDocs\FamilyTree\Holden-Cudworth_Wilson-Wason\Scrapbook\Fralick\Fralick, Solomon Lesley - Census Canada 1861.pdf

Save the list to a text file, e.g. "backup.lst".

Then run a command line backup utility such as RAR that can accept a list of files:
rar a -u -as -ilog.\backup.log backup @backup.lst

I saved that command in "backup.bat" stored in my RMBackups folder along with "backup.lst".

Opened the folder with Windows Explorer, double-clicked on "backup.bat" and, much to my surprise, it worked first time, creating the file "backup.rar" containing 79 of the 87 files in the list, packed 93%. In the same folder, "backup.log" was written showing me 7 files that could not be found. That accounts for 86 of the 87 - flashing by in the command window was a message that a file was skipped because it was a duplicate.

Opening backup.rar with WinRAR shows the list of files contained therein and thus it can be used to extract any or all files at some later date to their original paths.

One can get even fancier with the plethora of command line switches in RAR. The ones I chose are intended to backup to the same file repeatedly and not to a new file on each run, thus saving time. The "a" switch creates the backup; "u" adds only those files in the list that are not already in the backup; "as" deletes files from the backup that are not in the list, keeping the archive synchronised. The second time I ran it, without any changes in the backup.lst, it finished in a flash.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#12 DaveConrad

DaveConrad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:06 AM

I can see why you are an advanced member. I'm not very good with SQL. I will look over what you did again and see if I can replicate something like that. Otherwise, I will probably start a RAR file and keep adding folders to it. Presently, I save copies of my media and RM backups to a flash drive, its own internal backup file, a rewritable DVD and a spare hard drive. It is cumbersome and probably overkill. I am paranoid about not having enough backups. I lost a very valuable backup on old floppy disks many years ago. It was unrecoverable and hence the paranoia.

much appreciated, Tom

#13 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3434 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 06:31 AM

Thanks, Kevin and I agree that I would not want to see RM slowed down performance wise. I have a large database and it works very well as is. I run Windows 7 so perhaps I could put my media in a sub directory under C:\programs\Rootsmagic4\ (C:\programs\Rootsmagic4\media\)and my Roots Magic Data files to (C:\programs\Rootsmagic4\Roots Magic Backup) That way I could RAR or ZIP the entire directory and perhaps build a macro to handle it. Does that sound feasible to you?

Keep all your media and RM Files away from the Program folder, I have mine on a separate drive, D:, this could be set up as a partition on the same "physical" drive by Win 7. The main advantage of this for me is that if you are unlucky enough to have a problem on the system drive and need to re-install Windows then you do not have to worry about any data files being part of that drive. Going to Start > Documents > Right Click > Properties will allow you to set your documents folder to any location, same as pictures and music.

The My Documents folder on the D drive is set to share as is the D drive on my laptop, I then use a Syncronizing program to match the two Documents folders up with recent changes before I leave on a trip and whan I come back, so both units carry exactly the same information. This can also be easily set to syncronize with an external hard drive and maybe just your genealogy folder, I use this when syncronizing my Rootsmagic data files and media with my flash drive again to keep everything current.

Having a string of very large backups which are not incremental is not the way to go (IMO) so I would advise you to look at better alternatives. SyncToy is Microsofts own sync tool, I am not recommending it but it's free and might wet your appetite for a better alternative in the future. There are also many other free sync programs so do a bit of research.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Root

#14 DaveConrad

DaveConrad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 08:58 AM

That is also a great idea. I hadn't thought of synchronizing backup files like that. I have been thinking of using Windows backup but synchronizing and incremental backups sounds better. I understand what you mean about the backups needing to be incremental. I have to say I am impressed by the level of knowledge by the advanced members on this forum and their willingness to help.

Much appreciated. I will check out synch programs.

#15 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:37 AM

I can see why you are an advanced member.

Any idiot can post 50 times (or whatever the threshold is set to) and get named an 'Advanced Member' - it has no bearing on his/her skills in using RM. Maybe the adjective should be 'Mouthy'! Fortunately, many, if not all, Advanced Members are also advanced users of RM and the number of posts reflects their commitment to helping others and improving the program. Alfred should be named 'Grand Wizard'.

#16 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8491 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 01:22 PM

There is another software program on the market that not only lets you backup your genealogy database, but any multimedia that is linked to it. It gives you two files/folders one as a backup the other with the media. When I originally noted the request in our tracking system I mentioned this other process. I know RootsMagic is not looking to store your multimedia inside of the program, due to the issues previously mentioned by others.
Renee
RootsMagic

#17 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3434 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:51 PM

There is another software program on the market that not only lets you backup your genealogy database, but any multimedia that is linked to it. It gives you two files/folders one as a backup the other with the media. When I originally noted the request in our tracking system I mentioned this other process. I know RootsMagic is not looking to store your multimedia inside of the program, due to the issues previously mentioned by others.

As I drove to work I had another thought.... :huh:

Only a small amount of my media is presently linked to RM, hence other wishes for help, and it's easy for me within my folder structure to keep complete backups in sync.

But what about a BACKUP button in the Media Gallery which adds all the media gallery items linked to whatever file you have open to a zip file maybe named "databasename-media"

Root

#18 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 03:09 PM

So until this wish comes true, I improved on my backup procedure and now have one shortcut button in my Start Menu titled "Backup My Family Tree". It sits just below my shortcut button "MyFamilyTree" which runs the Quick Integrity Check on my database before it launches RM on the file. A full description that will enable some to replicate what I have done is at the page Backup Media with Database.

#19 DaveConrad

DaveConrad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 03:15 PM

Thank you, Renee. I think that MS SyncToy will do what I need.

Much appreciated.

#20 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3434 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 04:40 PM

I think that MS SyncToy will do what I need.

Do search for other programs, MS SyncToy did not get the best reviews when I was researching.

Root