• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tony126

Tony126

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:45 AM

It all seemed to work fine as per the webinar. Problem. I attempted to publish a book (A) prior to the webinar on publishing. This was done by copying and pasting and a lot of editing but it worked. I then saved this to my hard drive. I then removed this book from RM and started a new book, different family member, book (B),as per the webinar and have left that on RM due to publishing problems already reported. In checking the flash drive after the transfer I opened RM and went straight to publishing the book. Book (B) was not to be seen but book (A) was.???
Also it did not open up on the root person it was on when the transfer was made. When I selected that person I found the media, photo, was missing altogether from the USB file. Have not checked anything else at the moment.(Still a superb program though and these glitches are to be expected).

#2 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2092 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:41 AM

From part of the RM4 Help for "RootsMagic-To-Go" (if relevant to your situation) relating to media:

Caution

RootsMagic To-Go does not transfer your multimedia files

• RootsMagic To-Go does not transfer your multimedia files to the removable drive. However, when you re-load your data files to your home computer, RootsMagic uploads the file to the same place where the data files were downloaded from, which will re-link your data files with all your multimedia files.
Do not add multimedia files to your data when using RootsMagic To-Go

• RootsMagic To-Go does not transfer any multimedia files from the removable drive to your home computer. As a result, it is recommended that you do not add multimedia files to your data when using RootsMagic To-Go from the removable drive. You can either copy them to another removable disk, or, if there is space available, copy the multimedia files to another folder on the drive.

If you upload multimedia files to the removable drive at the research facility, remember to download these files separately after returning home to your home computer. You can add the media files to your data after the data files are transferred from the removable drive to your computer.

#3 Tony126

Tony126

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:02 PM

Some media did, some did not and in other places not all transferred. In view of your reply whwere does that leave me?
Secondly why am I showing only one book on my USB which is on my hard drive, when I have two saved? Should the USB be picking this up from my hard drive in the first place and if so why not both books?
Is the book exisitng on RM treated as media when the files are transferred to the USB?

From part of the RM4 Help for "RootsMagic-To-Go" (if relevant to your situation) relating to media:

#4 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1698 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:47 PM

This Forum is slow today. Too many on here or my desktop with RM4 and Access making me slow on the internet. Oh well.

Did you search your hard drive for the file extension of the book or the title to see if it was stored somewhere else?

I have had that happen. Just a thought.

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#5 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3560 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:54 PM

This Forum is slow today. Too many on here or my desktop with RM4 and Access making me slow on the internet. Oh well.

Of subject but it's not you, the board is painfully slow today......

Keeping ones customers and their important views at a distance is never a good approach

User of Family Historian 7.0.3, Rootsmagic 7.6.5

Genealogy software comparison and how to videos

Root

#6 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3493 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:18 PM

Secondly why am I showing only one book on my USB which is on my hard drive, when I have two saved? Should the USB be picking this up from my hard drive in the first place and if so why not both books?

My understaanding is that books are associated with the database in which they were created, and you can have as many Publisher books as you like in each database.
Since the To-Go installation lets you select which database files you would like to transfer between the computer and the removable drive, was your other book created from a different database (i.e. one that was not transferred to the removable drive)? Or maybe the other database is just not currently opened (while using the To-Go version) and thus you're not seeing it's availablility?

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N