• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Tony126

Tony126

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:17 AM

In saving my book to the hard drive in RTF the bibliography page numbers all change to the number 3. This does not happen if I save it in PDF format.

#2 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2092 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:13 AM

Tony, what word processing software are you using for your rtf?

#3 Tony126

Tony126

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:39 AM

Microsoft Word 2002

Tony, what word processing software are you using for your rtf?

#4 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1698 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:39 PM

Microsoft Word

I use 2003 and my narrative report done in the latest version came out with correct numbers. Some times you have nudge Word to re do page numbers. I regenerate the Index pages because of taking out a lot of the extra white spaces/lines that are there. That helps. :)

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#5 Tony126

Tony126

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 10:07 PM

I use 2003 and my narrative report done in the latest version came out with correct numbers. Some times you have nudge Word to re do page numbers. I regenerate the Index pages because of taking out a lot of the extra white spaces/lines that are there. That helps. :)

I removed it and re-installed it. It did not make any difference. If yours works then it must be something wrong somewhere with my program.Thanks for your time.

#6 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2092 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 10:32 PM

Tony, any other information of note that you can relate that might be of help? Anything unique to the number three relative to the other page numbers or anything else in your book?

Perhaps Renee will be able to state whether anyone else has reported this same type of issue in the past. If the pdf is giving you the results that you're expecting and the rtf is not, it's either an issue with the way the rtf has been formed or the way in which Word 2002 is interpreting it. Nettie mentioned using a narrative report, so I'm not sure if that was part of a book or a standalone report. If the latter, her experience may not be able to be compared to yours on an apples-to-apples basis. If the former, Word 2002 interpretation of the rtf might be the cause since she was using Word 2003.

#7 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1698 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:25 AM

Word 2003
Was used to created a Church history book of 428 pages for publishing and did not have a problem with re paginating pages. I did have word's previous versions and do not remember seeing your issue. You may have to look at the code for those pages to see if it is the right code. [in word, press the backwards 9 to see the codes].

Each family Narrative report created from RM4 to Word, when I am done with revision fixing each one, will become a chapter in another published book. While doing the Church History book, I used an online help pages [word.mvps.org]for many of the issues that came cropping up. Learned how to set up 15 individual files which became chapters then created one Table of Contents, index, continuing page numbers for the book. Do not plan to update Word to current for the next book. :)

Genealogy:

#8 Tony126

Tony126

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 11:33 AM

Tony, any other information of note that you can relate that might be of help? Anything unique to the number three relative to the other page numbers or anything else in your book?

Perhaps Renee will be able to state whether anyone else has reported this same type of issue in the past. If the pdf is giving you the results that you're expecting and the rtf is not, it's either an issue with the way the rtf has been formed or the way in which Word 2002 is interpreting it. Nettie mentioned using a narrative report, so I'm not sure if that was part of a book or a standalone report. If the latter, her experience may not be able to be compared to yours on an apples-to-apples basis. If the former, Word 2002 interpretation of the rtf might be the cause since she was using Word 2003.

On review perhaps I could/should have worded my intitial posting differently. The book page numbers on their own are correct and follow in sequence. It is the bibliography page reference numbers that all become 3 and not the individual pages throughout the book.

#9 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8796 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 12:34 PM

I have Word 2002 and am not experiencing any reference numbers on the bibliography page. The PDF version is the same. Maybe I am not using the same settings you are? Endnotes have reference numbers but not my bibliography.

I don't see any reports of the behavior you are experiencing with bibliography page reference numbers in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

#10 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 12:43 PM

It seems like I have read of this before, but I cannot remember when.
But, I cannot figure out where there are page numbers in the bibliography.

It seems that what I saw before was more a problem with the page numbers listed in the Table of Contents.
Alfred

#11 Tony126

Tony126

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:47 PM

It seems like I have read of this before, but I cannot remember when.
But, I cannot figure out where there are page numbers in the bibliography.

It seems that what I saw before was more a problem with the page numbers listed in the Table of Contents.

You are right it is Table opf Contents numbers. Sorry about any confusion caused.

#12 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1698 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:51 PM

You are right it is Table of Contents numbers. Sorry about any confusion caused.

When you look at the code you could see some of the issue, but if you updated anything and re paginated it, try that with the T of C. Highlight Tof C and you will be given a choice. F9 is the update button and that should give two choices. I always choose the second choice.

Good luck.... :)

Genealogy:

#13 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8796 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 03:14 PM

I checked on the Table of Content page number issue in our tracking system. The comment left was "This is not a bug. After opening the RTF file in Word, they can right click on the TOC to update the page numbers of the chapters."
Renee
RootsMagic

#14 Tony126

Tony126

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 05:52 PM

I checked on the Table of Content page number issue in our tracking system. The comment left was "This is not a bug. After opening the RTF file in Word, they can right click on the TOC to update the page numbers of the chapters."

You hit the nail right opn the head. Thanks for everybody's input.