• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jannawells

Jannawells

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 07:25 PM

I was in the process of selecting the "Change Fact Type" Option on the Edit Person screen, when my mouse slipped just as I pressed the left mouse button. As the mouse slipped, it apparently dragged the "Change Fact Type" Option into the ether of cyberspace, because I haven't been able to get it back.

I'm running RM 4.099 on WinXP. After the "oops" moment, I clicked the Option button and only "Show Shared Events" was there. I closed RM, skipping the backup, and reopened it; nope, "Change Fact Type" still not there. I shut down XP, restarted, opened RM; nope, still not there. After searching and reading posts in the forums, I tried resetting the program (Ctrl-Shft-U combo); everything reset, but still no "Change Fact Type". Next, I uninstalled RM using Window's Add/Remove function, shut down, restarted, reinstalled RM from CD, installed update, shut down and restarted. Still no "Change Fact Type" option. Even tried System Restore, using a date one week ago; no change.

Aha! I haven't used my laptop for a about a week, so I thought I would compare files, thinking there must be one holding some settings. But first I opened RM (same version as above, but Win7 Pro OS), and there's no "Change Fact Type" option there either! I don't recall using that option on the laptop or having an “oops” moment, but I know I haven't been hallucinating about using the option on my desktop.

Months ago, I had imported a large gedcom from someone who used a lot of custom facts, and the “Change Fact Type” has been so handy in getting things changed to built-in facts. I want it back!

I’m wondering if the issue is in an .ini file or the registry, but I don’t mess around with those unless I have explicit instructions to follow. Anybody have a clue?

#2 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 07:51 PM

I was in the process of selecting the "Change Fact Type" Option on the Edit Person screen, when my mouse slipped just as I pressed the left mouse button. As the mouse slipped, it apparently dragged the "Change Fact Type" Option into the ether of cyberspace, because I haven't been able to get it back.

I'm running RM 4.099 on WinXP. After the "oops" moment, I clicked the Option button and only "Show Shared Events" was there. I closed RM, skipping the backup, and reopened it; nope, "Change Fact Type" still not there. I shut down XP, restarted, opened RM; nope, still not there. After searching and reading posts in the forums, I tried resetting the program (Ctrl-Shft-U combo); everything reset, but still no "Change Fact Type". Next, I uninstalled RM using Window's Add/Remove function, shut down, restarted, reinstalled RM from CD, installed update, shut down and restarted. Still no "Change Fact Type" option. Even tried System Restore, using a date one week ago; no change.

Aha! I haven't used my laptop for a about a week, so I thought I would compare files, thinking there must be one holding some settings. But first I opened RM (same version as above, but Win7 Pro OS), and there's no "Change Fact Type" option there either! I don't recall using that option on the laptop or having an “oops” moment, but I know I haven't been hallucinating about using the option on my desktop.

Months ago, I had imported a large gedcom from someone who used a lot of custom facts, and the “Change Fact Type” has been so handy in getting things changed to built-in facts. I want it back!

I’m wondering if the issue is in an .ini file or the registry, but I don’t mess around with those unless I have explicit instructions to follow. Anybody have a clue?

You have to first highlight a fact that you want to change; otherwise, the Change Fact Type option isn't visible.

#3 Jannawells

Jannawells

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 09:52 PM

You have to first highlight a fact that you want to change; otherwise, the Change Fact Type option isn't visible.

Duh! I saw a comment earlier today where someone said that if it weren't for life's embarrassing moments, her life would certainly be dull. Well, this is my moment. I could not have hoped for such an easy "fix". Thanks.

#4 Lulu67

Lulu67

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:17 PM

And speaking of "change fact type," I, too, am having trouble with it. I have the option, but it doesn't work... I want to change "resident (fam)" to "resident." I highlighted the resident (fam) on the edit person screen; clicked the options button, chose "change fact type," and got a list of a few fact types. Residence was not on the list, but Residence (fam) was. What to do???

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8470 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:35 PM

You can not change a family fact to an individual fact of vice versa.
Renee
RootsMagic

#6 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:51 PM

When the cursor slipped, did you make sure the fact was highlighted again? The fact must be highlighted before the Change fact type option appears on the Options menu.