9 replies to this topic

#1 Leah

Leah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 12:42 AM

I have created some {private notes} in the detail text of some of my sources, but they don't seem to be honored when I print narratives, even though I have checked off "Hide private data in the endnotes, footnotes, and bibliography". Both curly brackets and the notes within them are still printing. I don't seem to experience this issue in a family group sheet.

Have I done something wrong? I don't recall this before the last update. And if I haven't done something wrong, can someone else check on their end if they are experiencing the same thing?

#2 Leah

Leah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 11:19 PM

I did a little bit of playing with this and should add that the problem only seems to happen in the source details notes and not the master source notes.

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7093 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 11:33 AM

I did a little bit of playing with this and should add that the problem only seems to happen in the source details notes and not the master source notes.

I am confirming your finding also. I have added this to our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

#4 Helen

Helen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 02:24 PM

I have created some {private notes} in the detail text of some of my sources, but they don't seem to be honored when I print narratives, even though I have checked off "Hide private data in the endnotes, footnotes, and bibliography". Both curly brackets and the notes within them are still printing. I don't seem to experience this issue in a family group sheet.

Have I done something wrong? I don't recall this before the last update. And if I haven't done something wrong, can someone else check on their end if they are experiencing the same thing?

This problem still exhists in ver.4.1.1.4. But is worse than we thought. In Narratives the {private notes}, in Source Details Text and Comments, are shown in the footnotes no matter what print options you mark. But the Family Group Sheet and the Individual Summary will not print the {private notes} even when requested.

Renee, I have tested this a lot but please check it.

Thanks, Helen

#5 craigg

craigg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:23 PM

Also, private items, {}, in footnotes/endnotes and bibliography entries for sources, also are not honored.

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7093 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 12:09 PM

This problem still exhists in ver.4.1.1.4. But is worse than we thought. In Narratives the {private notes}, in Source Details Text and Comments, are shown in the footnotes no matter what print options you mark.

Confirming findings - have been added to our tracking system for resolution

But the Family Group Sheet and the Individual Summary will not print the {private notes} even when requested.

I am finding in the sources they will print when asked, but are not being suppressed when requested. Private notes in facts are working properly.

Also, private items, {}, in footnotes/endnotes and bibliography entries for sources, also are not honored.

Confirming findings - have been added to our tracking system for resolution
Renee
RootsMagic

#7 Beth-Meeks Family

Beth-Meeks Family

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:26 AM

Hello, Just following up to see if this bug has been fixed?

#8 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2053 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:32 AM

If the issue didn't get fixed in RM4 by the time RM5 was released, it wouldn't have been fixed in the earlier version since updates are only issued for the release current at that time. Perhaps someone can comment on RM5. I don't have RM4 (or RM5) with me right now, so can't do a quick test of either.

#9 Beth-Meeks Family

Beth-Meeks Family

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:34 PM

Tks, for replying.

I have RM 5 (and new to the software) and am having trouble figuring out how to designate info as private. If I put { around info } in a personal note, I have found that it will not print in the narrative when I have the options for the narrative report set to NOT print private -- so ibrackets do work for personal notes.

However, I can't see how checking the "private" checkbox for a fact has any impact on making any type of Fact private and removing it from a narrative report. So perhaps I am trying to use that option incorrectly or don't know the correct location to set its use.

I'd like to keep a few facts that I have been asked to keep from printing ( like very short first marriages, no children ) in the narrative reports--private -- without having to remove them from the database.. or removing them as facts and adding them back in under personal notes with the brackets.

There must be a purpose for the "private" check box that i am missing.

#10 Leah

Leah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:50 PM

Hi Beth - I think your issue is slightly different than the one reported here.

I was the one who originally brought this problem up nearly two years ago... and it is still not fixed for me.
Private notes in a fact are ok, but it was information in source notes marked as private which do not work.
It makes me very wary about sharing my research with others without going through it with a fine toothed comb.

But for you Beth - to make sure they don't print in Narrative report, you have to first click the 'Options' button of the report and uncheck the box that says 'Include Private Facts'. Then it should work for you.